Searching for ideas for teardrop project

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Searching for ideas for teardrop project

Postby Lone Wolf » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:45 pm

Hello All
I have been watching this site for a couple of weeks now. And I like what I have seen and read. :thumbsup: There some well informed people here an I would like to hear from you on what is the best shape for a teardrop. I saw a pic, af a Baja Benyoy with 2 axels the other day and liked it but I can't seem to find out any any more about it. Thank you
Lone Wolf
HAPPY TRAILS
Lone Wolf
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Frank » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:58 pm

Hello,

You might like Jerry Pipers site, Maxitear. It's the largest tear I have seen and has two axles.

Welcome to the board looking forward to your designs.

Frank
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby Lone Wolf » Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:32 pm

Hello Frank
Yes I have seen it and it too big. I am thinking of a trailer 5 1/2' to 6'
wide X 5' tall X 10 1/2' to 12' long. I have been looking for about 6 months. I have seen a lot of diffrent designs. I tend to lean to ether egg shape or the baja benroy. I have been working on my on design of a 5x5x10 1/2 egg. :frustrated: I like it but there are too many of that type out there. I would like to build something diffrent. I woul like to have a/c. heat, t/v and radio. For rainy days and hot southern nights. It get realy humid at night in the summer here.
HAPPY TRAILS
Lone Wolf
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:35 pm

Welcome to the board. Get it built and join us SE folks for some great gettogethers. Look at my Tear. It is 10 ft long and I wouldn't dream of having a smaller one for my personal use. I like the amount of storage and the flat front and rear inside with no projections of any kind. Have built the rounded front and prefer the looks but prefer the practicality of the flat front. My tear is for camping not for show. My next will be a wide body tourer style with the inclosed wheels just for that extra room inside. Try this for a better idea of what you want. Find a toy/plastic or diecast model of your tow vehicle or something similar and build some scale models of the different shapes you are interested in. They don't have to be fancy but they will help you decide. I did itand it helped me visualize the finished product a lot better. Even if you don't have tear finished try and join us in the spring when we are in your area.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Lone Wolf » Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:47 pm

Try this for a better idea of what you want. Find a toy/plastic or diecast model of your tow vehicle or something similar and build some scale models of the different shapes you are interested in. They don't have to be fancy but they will help you decide. I did itand it helped me visualize the finished product a lot better.

Thanks for the suggestion. It gives me an idea :thinking: I use print master 10 I can insert pic that is to scale of my truck in front of trailer I am desiging and get same result with less time and work.

I have been looking at the weekender and with a few modifications could be just what I am Looking for. ;)
HAPPY TRAILS
Lone Wolf
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Searching for ideas for teardrop project

Postby Larry Messaros » Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:57 pm

Lone Wolf,

Welcome to the board. From one well informed person? (I could only wish!:lol: ).

Lone Wolf wrote:Hello All
I have been watching this site for a couple of weeks now. And I like what I have seen and read. :thumbsup: There some well informed people here an I would like to hear from you on what is the best shape for a teardrop.

Ummmm, would it be a teardrop?:lol:

Seriously, it is whatever pleases you. If you would like more room you could adjust the shape. You don't have to stay with the teardrop, if there are certain features that you like that would require a different shape, go for it! Take a look at Shrugs different designs and for another great site check out Andrew's awesome site with lots of designs and associated information.

I saw a pic, af a Baja Benyoy with 2 axels the other day and liked it but I can't seem to find out any any more about it. Thank you
Lone Wolf

If you are thinking of this one:

You have been outwitted by the person who owns this board! :shock: Mike used his photo program to give the illusion of a tandem axle.
Larry Messaros
:snow
Cariboo Country: If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes!
Larry Messaros
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Lone Wolf » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:17 am

Ummmm, would it be a teardrop?:lol:

Yes yes it would :)

Take a look at Shrugs different designs and for another great site check out Andrew's awesome site with lots of designs and associated information.

Been there done that many times in the past 6 months.

If you are thinking of this one:

You have been outwitted by the person who owns this board! :shock: Mike used his photo program to give the illusion of a tandem axle.

:o it is a good fake. But I still Like the way it looks I work on Big rigs. And I like the way the doouble axels look on a teardrop.
HAPPY TRAILS
Lone Wolf
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Larry Messaros » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:23 am

Lone Wolf wrote: :o it is a good fake. But I still Like the way it looks I work on Big rigs. And I like the way the doouble axels look on a teardrop.

Ah yes, It would possibly look good with something like this pulling it, a 1939 GMC COE owned by Del Edgbert from Shelton, WA:

or how about this, a 1970 Kenworth ¾ scale by Al Fisher, Tillamook, OR:

Larry Messaros
:snow
Cariboo Country: If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes!
Larry Messaros
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:52 pm

Lone Wolf,
Welcome Aboard!!!

This picture was a spoof Mike did, by stretching his Baja Benroy a bit and adding another axle.
It was his humorous response to me about what he thought of my very first design.
Originally, I wanted something that I could haul a 17'-6" Redbird Canoe on top of the roof. My crude drawing I sent him was based around the full length of the canoe.
I have since been bit by the bug and I'm going to build a more conventional teardrop that I won't even be able to stand up in.
Go to my album to see some of my earlier considerations about doing a design that you could stand up in.
Don't hesitate to post your questions, ideas and thoughts.

Postby Lone Wolf » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:59 pm

Ah yes, It would possibly look good with something like this pulling it, a 1939 GMC COE owned by Del Edgbert from Shelton, WA:

[or how about this, a 1970 Kenworth ¾ scale by Al Fisher, Tillamook, OR:

It would look better behind the GMC. But it would be too small. It would have to be at least 7'x7'x20' to look right.
HAPPY TRAILS
Lone Wolf
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Mon May 16, 2005 10:19 am

Is anyone still looking to do a dual wheel teardrop? How about this one...

More photos here...
http://www.allacart.com/hometrailer.htm

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Searching for ideas...

Postby Randy's Tagalongs » Tue May 24, 2005 12:34 am

Hmmm, Looks like Adobe Photoshop strikes again, with that tandem Benroy!! :pictures: Oh, well. If it can be visualized it can likely be built. :crazy: Looks like half the work's done!! (Well, ok, maybe 3%!!) I'm lookin' at doin' a tandem axle teardrop cargo for a buddy's pressure washing business. :hammer: :O I'll likely keep the profile somewhat rounded to maximize on strength of materials and weight reduction. Also for aerodynamics. Just got a couple of sketches so far, but I'll send 'em along if you like... -- Randy
'Next to camping, I'd rather be camping.'
Randy's Tagalongs
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Tue May 24, 2005 3:52 pm

Well of course, post the sketches... we got lots of folks here that want to see them!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Freedom II » Mon May 30, 2005 8:06 pm

This may not be the exact post for this subject however, has anyone seen a spare tire mounted in the rear on top of the kitchen? The spare also folds out to a table, it was pretty cool. I have been looking at your Hall of Fame, but see anything remotely like it.

Morgan
If you can read this, thank a teacher.... If you are reading it in English thank a veteran.
Freedom II
Teardrop Inspector

Postby angib » Tue May 31, 2005 11:16 am

Morgan,

That lady's amazing folding wheel/table featured on 'RV Crazy' - maybe that's where you saw it?

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Next

Return to Member Designs