restoring my Tricolo TTT

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

restoring my Tricolo TTT

Postby trabant » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:00 pm

Hi all,

As promised here I will keep you guys posted on the restauratioproces of my Tricolo teardrop. Since I picked her up from her previous keeper I spend many hours in my shed removing all the parts that need TLC before the car can get back on the road. And I have to say, The more you take apart the more you find that heeds a repair or replacement... All electrics (both mains 220V AC as 12V) are removed and all the 12V parts will be replaced with new parts. The 220V mains will be removed completely.. I will use the car only on short outings with my my Trabant and then a battery will be enough for the few lamps that will go in the car. I dont need A/C and all these kind of things... The taillights where dramaticaly bad connected so everything was cut away and on a classiccar meet a few weeks back I found a complete set of lights.. NOS made in East Germany and original to the trailer the caravan is build on!! Those will come on the trailer... The wheels and axles is another thing.. During the run to my workshop I noticed that one of the wheels was not perfectly straight under the car... Today I removed the arm that holds the axle under the trailer and There I found why the alignment sucked....... The arms ar bolted to the frame with a bold that goes through 2 silentbushings that are pressed in the arm.... From one of the bushings the rubber was completely missing....... Thank god in the Former GDR they all used comonemts on several other vehicles and the bushings are also used on Wartburg cars... So I only have to take measurements and call some friends to get 4 new bushings.... Of cource the wheelbearings and tyres will be replaced.. The original tyres from the trailer (dating 1989) are still on the trailer :thumbdown:

The lid on the rear is found beyond repair and will be replaced completely.. But that will be my fathers contribution to this project....

That is how Far I am at this moment... As last thing I will post some pictures from the progress so far..

Regards,

Michael Staats
The Netherlands

beyond repair...

some rubber missing...???...

A view on the rear of the trailer from above.

The trailer jacked up It makes life easy..
trabant
Teardrop Builder

Return to Member Designs