Another new design

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Another new design

Postby BobR » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:21 am

Just thought I would share an idea I have for a tiny trailer for two. Features include an enclosed head, shower, full sized bed across the back that converts into a two person dinette. The galley slides out of the side and a standard 10' ez up creates the covered patio and outside galley. The design also calls for a removable roof section so you can build/store it in a standard garage.

http://www.bobsteardrop.com/LemonDropConcepts.pdf
Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars"
BobR
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:42 am

Hey Bob,

That's an interesting design. That's the first time I've seen a shower worked into a TTT design. That corner is actually a very good place to put it, and if you put up a shower curtain in the little bathroom, it would actually work out pretty good. I don't know what you plan on doing with all that gray water, but you must have a plan!

The 24" width for the porta potty area seems a little tight... I would probably try to make that a little wider. I've got some scrap wood, I'll build a little box this afternoon and see what width works for me. I might just have to borrow your shower idea for my Tidget. :lol:

Yes, you heard right... so far my winter midget will look a little bit like a T@B, so I have to take the T and swap it for the M!!! The interior design is all up for grabs though! But I really like the shower idea. That's the one thing I hate at campgrounds is waiting for showers. I may not actually put a porta-potty in my Tidget, but I'd leave space there for one!

The other idea you have, the pull out galley is good. Just enough room for a grill stove! Maybe you could add a hinged counter next to the pull out galley?

It seems like you have a lot of room between the counter and the bed/table area. Can you tell me how much that is? On the tab here are the dimensions that were quoted to me...

"I measured the depth of the counter as 20 ½” and the floor space from under-sink cupboard to table-top as 23."

In the next few days I suspect that you'll have some competition for your design... as I am working on something, Bev is working on something, and Andrew is cranking out designs as fast as he can move his mouse!!! We might have to get him a new mouse ball soon, as I suspect he's wearing out the old one!!! :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Norm » Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:34 am

With all these new offshoots of the Tab/Midget/Argonette, we may just get that 10lbs into a 5lb container :R :thinking:
After the discussion on the Midget with no galley, I was thinking along the same lines as BobR's new design, but without the head/shower. Some of the Australian popups use this pull out galley design. Some are very well thought out.
Just my canuck $0.02 ;)
Norm
Teardrop Master

Postby Joanne » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:00 pm

Let me say that I am stunned by the innovation displayed by this group! The designs that continue to be created by you all are just amazing. :thumbsup:

It seems that the 1930's and 1940's were a time when home craftsmen could build just about anything. Factory produced products just about wiped out that creative spirit. I know that the boating community and the homebuilt aircraft community have survived but I think it's *really* neat that trailer building is seeing a revival.
Press on you modern day innovators! :applause:

Hugs,
Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby BobR » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:18 pm

mikeschn wrote:That's the first time I've seen a shower worked into a TTT design. t seems like you have a lot of room between the counter and the bed/table area. Can you tell me how much that is?

The shower and galley sink will drain into one of those blue portable holding tanks with wheels. No fancy plumbing either, a Zodi to heat the water to temp and a shur-flo pressure pump with a quick disconect to bring it inside (I use that setup on my tear and it works great.

The front cabinet is about 18" deep and the space between the bed/dinette and the cabinet is about 40".

Good idea on the counter top, the galley access door could be fliped up to increase the counter space on the end...

Now all I need is someone to design a practical chassis for me...any takers?
Thanks to everyone for your comments. :D
Last edited by BobR on Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars"
BobR
Donating Member

Postby BobR » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:45 pm

Norm wrote:Some of the Australian popups use this pull out galley design.

That is exactly where I got the idea...besides Accuride make 48 and 60" slides that will hold over 200 pounds.
Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
BobR
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:07 pm

Bob,

I just checked, by setting up 2 pieces of plywood 24" apart. It's okay for the shower, but it's too narrow for sitting down. I think you want to make it at least 30" to be comfortable.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Joseph » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:39 pm

Hey Mike,
mikeschn wrote:That's the first time I've seen a shower worked into a TTT design.

I understand some folks have worked one into a Scotty using the step well and a plastic tub. (In this picture, the bed is on the left and the dinette is on the right.) I thought about putting a drain in the step well but that's probably not such a good idea. However, rigging a shower curtain in that area would be no problem and with a plastic tub to catch the water, I think it'll work fine.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby beverlyt » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:35 pm

Bob,
Very nice design..Heck..you've got everything in there!

Joseph: I saw a REALLY COOL small 10' trailer in front of what looked like someone's horse pasture today. Probably not for sale, but I'm going to stop and ask. They had painted FLOWERS all over it. (Very ugly flowers, may I add)
Probably not for sale and since I don't have much money..seems a little silly to stop and ask...but one never knows. Maybe I could feed and water his horses for a year?

Hope you start on your build soon Bob... mine is going to be awhile probably. (My neighbor said, "What?...you want ANOTHER trailer???)
It's an addiction!

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:52 pm

Bev,

It's not going to be a while before you start. It's only going to be a while before you finish. I'm in the same boat over here. I'm going to start any day now... but when will I finish? In a year? In two years? I am going to take my time on purpose. I can't build a new TTT every winter.

So we'll be out next weekend to start making saw dust!!! Please email me your street address again.

Mike...

P.S. If you need a couple more weeks to finalize your plans, that's okay too!!! :lol:

beverlyt wrote:Bob,
Very nice design..Heck..you've got everything in there!

Joseph: I saw a REALLY COOL small 10' trailer in front of what looked like someone's horse pasture today. Probably not for sale, but I'm going to stop and ask. They had painted FLOWERS all over it. (Very ugly flowers, may I add)
Probably not for sale and since I don't have much money..seems a little silly to stop and ask...but one never knows. Maybe I could feed and water his horses for a year?

Hope you start on your build soon Bob... mine is going to be awhile probably. (My neighbor said, "What?...you want ANOTHER trailer???)
It's an addiction!

Bev
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby BobR » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:07 pm

mikeschn wrote:Bob,

I just checked, by setting up 2 pieces of plywood 24" apart. It's okay for the shower, but it's too narrow for sitting down. I think you want to make it at least 30" to be comfortable.

Mike...

Thanks Mike...I knew I could count on you to do the prototype testing :)

All I have to do is make sure of the ease of access to the dinette if I went wider..

As for building this trailer...I probably will try it someday in the future...after the entertainment center, new bed and dresser for Sharon :lol:

I also need someone to design that chassis....

BTW...I am sending my registration for ITG tomorrow! :thumbsup:
Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
BobR
Donating Member

Postby BobR » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:09 pm

Joseph wrote:Hey Mike,
mikeschn wrote:That's the first time I've seen a shower worked into a TTT design.

I understand some folks have worked one into a Scotty using the step well and a plastic tub. (In this picture, the bed is on the left and the dinette is on the right.) I thought about putting a drain in the step well but that's probably not such a good idea. However, rigging a shower curtain in that area would be no problem and with a plastic tub to catch the water, I think it'll work fine.

Joseph

Joseph,

Put the plastic tub in and use a bilge pump to send the water out to a portable holding tank
Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
BobR
Donating Member

Postby Grant » Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:46 pm

Hey, Bob!

Very cool design! You have indeed managed to put 10 lbs of stuff in a 5 lb container ...;-} ;-} ...

One, question ... and two suggestions:

Why the raised floor under the bed/dinette? Did I miss something (wouldn't surprise me if I did!)?

Suggestion #1 - bigger windows ... Sharon will love you for it!

Suggestion #2 - dropped footwell between bed and front counter/cabinets. A 7" dropped footwell will lower the overall height by 6"+ (perhaps allowing it through that standard garage door) and won't adversely affect ground clearance in any but the most extreme offroading situations. You know me and dropped footwells ... ;-} ;-} ...

IMO - 24" is adaquate for the shower AND the WC (I used to build f'glas tubs & showers in a previous life, and 24x26 was the smallest we built - and we sold a LOT of 'em to the RV industry of the early '70s!). If the WC is a portable unit, put it in the shower pan for use & storage, then just place it in the corner you already show when you use the shower.

The experience you've gained trying to stuff all that you have in your teardrop sure shows in your LemonDrop design! I say "BUILD IT!" ... even if it has to be bit-by-bit in between the honey-dos ...

Looking forward to seeing you, again, in Minden! (Maybe you could hook up with Rob Fisher and caravan up, picking up a few more along the way?) In the meantime ...

Happy New Year! And as always ...

CHEERS!

Grant
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're on Teardrop Time" ... so kick back and focus on the Good Stuff!
Grant
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby darkroomsource » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:13 pm

"blue portable holding tanks with wheels"

I understand that in some states, some parks (I think Oregon State park literature is where I read this, but it might be national parks), you can not have a portable/temporary holding tank.

If you're planning on using a portable holding tank, check out the places you're considering camping to make sure it's allowed.
-- Andy Hughes
My Teardrop
<><
Grace Happens
darkroomsource
Teardrop Advisor

Postby BobR » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:29 am

Grant wrote:Why the raised floor under the bed/dinette?

Suggestion #1 - bigger windows ... Sharon will love you for it!

Suggestion #2 - dropped footwell between bed and front counter/cabinets.

IMO - 24" is adaquate for the shower AND the WC

Looking forward to seeing you, again, in Minden!

Howdy Grant...

Happy New you to you as well...and thanks for the feedback.

Your right about the bigger windows

The raised floor is there because of the height required for the bed to clear the slide out galley. It will keep my feet from dangling while using the dinette and offers additional storage underneath.

I thought about a footwell but wanted over 6' of headroom in the head/shower and open space.

I based the width of the head/shower on what I have in my Fleetwood trailer, it's tight but it works and after all I don't plan on spending that much time in there anyway...no magazine rack!

See you again in Minden...Am I ever going to see that top secret tear we discussed at SCTT back in 2001 :lol:

Best Regards
Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
BobR
Donating Member

Next

Return to Member Designs