Frame Considerations.........

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Frame Considerations.........

Postby Ken A Hood » Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:55 pm

1st Design

Revised Design

This is the way I'm leaning towards my frame, body arrangement.
Since I'm going with an insulated wall( with studs) I might go with 3/8" ply for the ext. And reduce(rip down) the 2"x4" in the 1st pic, to a 2'x3' for the 2nd pic..........although I haven't made the changes in AutoCad yet.

Any comments, suggestions? The reason I'm "hanging" the 2x4(or 3) over the 2'x2' frame is for looks only, to hide some of the frame.

Mike, I have the pics saved to the uploader, but can't seem to insert them into my message...
Last edited by Ken A Hood on Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Re: Frame Considerations.........

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:17 pm

Hey Ken,

Good to see you are still around and still working on your teardrop. I like the new arrangement. I only have 1 question. How do you plan on cutting the rabbets and the dado's in your 2x3's?

As for your images, I believe phpBB doesn't support bmp. It does support gifs, pngs and jpgs. So if you resave it into a different format, it should work!

Mike...

Ken A Hood wrote:1st Design
http://www.teardrops.us/userfiles/kenadian/Trailer/ScreenHunter_002.bmp

Revised Design
http://www.teardrops.us/userfiles/kenad ... er_003.bmp

This is the way I'm leaning towards my frame, body arrangement.
Since I'm going with an insulated wall( with studs) I might go with 3/8" ply for the ext. And reduce(rip down) the 2"x4" in the 1st pic, to a 2'x3' for the 2nd pic..........although I haven't made the changes in AutoCad yet.

Any comments, suggestions? The reason I'm "hanging" the 2x4(or 3) over the 2'x2' frame is for looks only, to hide some of the frame.

Mike, I have the pics saved to the uploader, but can't seem to insert them into my message...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bg » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:23 pm

1st Design:
Revised:
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:28 pm

Thanks BG. You're pretty quick. And I see that converting it to a jpg did the trick...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Ken A Hood » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:31 pm

mikeschn wrote:Hey Ken,

How do you plan on cutting the rabbets and the dado's in your 2x3's?

Mike...

With my Shopsmith, since I got it "tuned-up" and added the safety upgrades to it over the summer. Now all I need is to do is find somethind to cut using the jigsaw attachment.

I used BG's uploader to save the images(with screenhunter), but can't seem to get the images to load.........although I see "bg" did...

I guess after I use the screenhunter, I can open it in photoshop, and save it as a jpeg, then upload it..
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby bg » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:40 pm

I guess after I use the screenhunter, I can open it in photoshop, and save it as a jpeg, then upload it..

That should do the trick.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby Ken A Hood » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:44 pm

bg wrote:

Actually, I tried to change the extension in the uploader(by renaming it) to a jpg and that worked :applause:
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:48 pm

Actually there is an easier way. Go to the second tab of screenhunter, and change it to .jpg

Voila, all your screencaptures are now jpgs! ;)

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bg » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:28 pm

Ken A Hood wrote:
bg wrote:

Actually, I tried to change the extension in the uploader(by renaming it) to a jpg and that worked :applause:

wasn't thinking of that approach, but i'd use mike's suggestion above.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Thermal Bridging is a problem

Postby Guy » Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:30 pm

Dear Ken,

There is one problem with your trailer frame. In the lower left corner for about three inches you have no insulation or theermal break whatsover. This creates a situation called "thermal Bridging" which can defeat any insulation including foam. Basically what you are creating a bridge upon which the cold can travel through the wood and into you are using.the lower edges of your interior floor. If your mattress is on the floor in the tear you will have an extra cold situation around the edges which will also lead tocondensation in the short run and rot or mold in the long term. You really do not need even half of the structure .
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Member Designs