Modified Rimple

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Modified Rimple

Postby TomS » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:48 pm

I sketched up a side profiile of my idea for a tear drop trailer loosely based on Andrew's Rimple design.

My goal is to maximize the amount of usable storage / galley space while keeping the trailer length at 8 feet.

I'm concerned about the length and shape of the galley hatch. I wonder if I can be made stiff enough to maintain a good seal.

I'd love to hear from you folks. Any input and ideas are very welcome.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Waliczek » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:18 pm

It was interesting the see your rimple on the forum. I have been building my rimple since Oct 2004. I also had thoughts about the galley hatch, but I have decided to have the upper portion raise in the conventional manner, and the lower portion to open like barn doors.

I am about 80% finished, however I do admit that I am leaving the hatch until last, I don't know why, just am. I will send pic's in the next few days. I have got to dump the holiday pictures first before I lose them.

The sleeping area turn out to be 45" wide. 74" long. Walls are constructed of 1/2" ply, 1x2's on 12" centers, 34" pink foam board, 1/4" birch ply on the inside, making walls 1 1/2" thick. Doors are the same. Each door has a 14 X 27" window/w/ screen. across the back is a 3' X 15" Wall cabinet. It seems that it will not interfear with the 14" roof fan and vent. Over the head, I plan to install a 7" shelf with those streachy nets to hold in the change of clothes. The cabinet will hold more clothes, my small 5" 12 volt TV, and my little cd and radio player also 12 volt.

The galley is fixed with a sliding tray to hold the coleman stove, (propane)
and below that attaches is a small drawer to hold the knives and spoons, etc..( Found that hint on the forum). Another cabinet to hold drygoods, is a 12" by 30" wall cabinet, mounted horizontally. I have not decided about a sink yet, or what product to cover the counter top .I have room for a small ice box, but also cannot decide. I think I will just carry the cold goods in a cooler in the back of the truck, until after several camping trip, to let the debris settle.
I could not get the 1/4" to bend the 24" radius on the front and back, so I used 1/8" ply I got from a floor covering company.(free)Top also in insulated.

I can't decide yet what I want to cover the trailer with, however my son says buy aluminum, I want to try, those 3/15 flexible plastice, they make tub surrounds with. I can get a 4 X 8 sheet for about $22.00 at Sutherland's. Glue and those neat plastic fasteners that you pop in the wall.
If not, I will sand the plywood the best I can, and paint it the same color as my Dakota ( Forest Green) and then have the neighborhood kid draw me a large picture of a male and female Gypsy, one on each side. He is pretty good.

My plan is to take my shakedown cruise on the sunday after Easter. Then a few more trips so that most of the newness wears off before Minden, Nebr. in June.

I do thank all of the members for posting their ideas because that is how this trailer is being built.

If you pass a rimple with a Gypsy on the side, HONK.. It's just me.

Take care
Tom
"Toys"--2003 Dodge Dakota--TT Rimple"Gypsy"--1955 Boles Aero Travel Trailer--2002 Sweetwater 20' Pontoon--1982 22' Mcgregor sailboat..
Waliczek
Donating Member

Postby angib » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:56 am

Tom (Swenson),

I wonder if you'd want to reduce the radius on the back curve to 18" - this would give you a 2" long flat on the hatch behind the hinge. I'd be concerned about fitting a hurricane-type hinge, such as Grant sells, with one side on a 20" radius - that's a lot tighter radius than they are normally fixed on.

However, if you are planning to use a piano hinge, the curve is no problem.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby TomS » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:19 pm

Thanks guys for the excellent advice / feedback. This design has been evolving for the last 5-6 weeks. And this one will undoubtedly be revised several times before I start building. Here’s how I got to this point.

My original idea was to build a Kuffel Creek Cubby on a HF frame with some modifications to the galley to suit our camping style. After reading some posts on this board, I decided the 45 ½ interior was just too narrow.

I started exploring alternate trailer frames to allow for a wider tear. For a time, considered welding up m own 5 x 8 foot frame. However, my welding experience is limited to a few hours playing around with my son’s 110 volt flux core welder. I decided a trailer frame was a bit too much for a first welding project. Also, I don’t think my son’s welder would provide enough penetration to safely weld a trailer frame. While exploring that idea, I took a good look at the construction of the Snow Bear 8000 utility trailer that bought last year. It’s 54” wide. This allows an inside dimension, of 51 ½ (assuming 1 ¼ walls). That is just 2.5” narrower than our standard full size mattress. We can live with that.

In addition, the Snow Bear’s frame has some nice features that make it an attractive platform for a home-built tear drop. The frame is fully welded and supports 2,000 pounds. The axle position and tongue length are adjustable. So, I can fine tune the trailer’s balance after it is built. It comes with heavy duty steel fenders that bolt directly to the frame (yes, they adjust along with the axle). I can get another Snow Bear trailer at Lowe’s for $700. It’s about what a decent 220 Volt welder MIG welder would have cost me.

While playing around with the cabinet design it occurred to me that the Cubby’s lines, while pleasing to the eye, waste lot of space, particularly in the rear. I eventually found Andrew’s Rimple design and here I am. Besides allowing for a deeper galley, the Rimple’s flat surfaces roof and front present the possibility of adding a front window or a even moon roof.

I plan on wiring the trailer for 12 volt only. I want to make the electrical system as efficient as possible by using fluorescent lights for the main lights in the cabin and galley with LED reading lights installed in the front of the cabin. I plan to install a car stereo, but have some lingering questions about the stereo that I’ll post on the electrical forum.

My side walls will be 1 ¼ thick. 3/8 ply + ¾ framing and insulation + 1/8” birch ply on the inside. I found a local source for 1/8" “bending birch” ply
http://www.boulterplywood.com/ that I’ll use on the radiuses.

After reading about Steve Wolverton’s tear, I decided to cover the roof with 1/8” ply and fiberglass the exterior. Hopefully, I can come up with a cool decorating theme for our tear. Maybe I’ll do a two-tone retro-50’s paint job.

Andrew, I hadn’t considered the galley hinge. After thinking about it, I worry that a piano hinge might be prone to leaks. So, perhaps Grant’s galley hinge is the way to go.

Tom, your barn door idea for the lower galley is very interesting. I’d love to see some pics when you get it done. Take care guys and thanks again for the input.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Waliczek » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:00 pm

Well, I dumped my holiday photo's and took some of my progress. Keep in mind, it is 10 degrees outside and by marital law I have to share the garage with the wife. It is non-negoeshible(?) :cry: So I am taking these photo's in rather crowded conditions. I do get the full garage while she is at work and on weekends. My God, I'm talking like a divorced person. :D

I hope that these photo's come out.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wa1iczek/album?.dir=b010
"Toys"--2003 Dodge Dakota--TT Rimple"Gypsy"--1955 Boles Aero Travel Trailer--2002 Sweetwater 20' Pontoon--1982 22' Mcgregor sailboat..
Waliczek
Donating Member

Postby TomS » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:02 pm

Thanks for the pics. Besides the stove with slide-out drawer, what else are you planning to intall in the lower galley? I'm seriously considering a similar arrangement for my rig.

Don't feel bad about your garage. I don't have one. A New England winter is not a conducive climate for bulding. So, one I finalize my design, I'll build components such as the sides, drawers, face frames, bulkheads in my basement. In April, I'll erect my large screen house and use it to shelter my trailer until I get it weather tight.

Take care,
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Lone Wolf » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:02 am

I like your windows Waliczek where did you get they and how much.
HAPPY TRAILS
Lone Wolf
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Waliczek » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:34 pm

Hello,

Tom S. Under the stove drawer will be a compartment to hold three 1 lb containers of propane for the stove, there will be room for the skillet for my omlets,small pots and pans. I travel alone to various archeological digs. Wife is not a camper. On the left side there is room for a portable water container. I am really seriously considering a small sink.
There is also room for the odds and ends, and 12 ga extenson cord for the hook up. To the right of the cabinet on the top, will be a fenced area to carry dry food goods. The cabinets will carry other various kitchen necessities. Cold goods wll be carried in a cooler in the bed of the truck.
Alone camper and get by with a lot less variety then with two or more.

Lone Wolf. I purchased them from a trailer equipment company here in Kansas City, Kansas. K.C. Trailer Company. The cost was $37.50 each minus tax. They look and work like aluminum Storm windows, except they lay flush to the outside of the of the door surface. They are equiped with black fiberglas screen, so I expect to have to change those to the noseeums screens used on tents.

I truly enjoy working on this trailer, and relish the time alone in the garage planning and working as I go along. I turn on the CD, listen to a little calssical music. It keeps me calm when I screw up and have to tear something up, in order to make something else fit properly. Alas, alack,
tsk. tsk. woe is me !!. I WILL hang in there, And my plan is to be done, by Easter. Then I can get a picture of the unit on the left side of the profile on this forum.

Just Keep going, and good luck
Tom
Waliczek
Donating Member

Return to Member Designs