Critique My Designs!

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Critique My Designs!

Postby Cakefiend » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:28 pm

Looks like I won't be in a position to build a 'drop for a while, so I thought I'd post the sketchup images of the designs I've been working on lately.
Questions and Suggestions please!

First up, the 'IceBreaker'
This was to make use of the dead area over the tongue, and give me more inside storage. Dimensions are 5'5" wide, sleeping area is about 5'11" long, overall length is 9'6"

Second, the 'RnR'
The only Standy design, achieved with a drop floor at the kitchen.
bed converts to a sofa in the day in the same way as the VW rock n roll camper beds, loads of storage space underneath.

Last, the 'Haventthoughtofaname'
Similar to the first one, but different front profile.

Any comments all?
Cakefiend
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:35 pm

Interesting designs...

Some look vaguely familiar! :?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby angib » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:51 pm

My :? is because I've seen those joints between curved surfaces and sloping but flat surfaces.

I do not want to have to work out the compound angles on the end of the spars on those joints!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Cakefiend » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:36 pm

Are you referring to the frame of the front cupboard in the first one?

Working from the inside out, building the frame before the skin, this doesn't look too difficult to me. It could be simplified somewhat, but I only use sketchup to draw the pictures, the plans are all worked out in real life...

Or are you referring to the top of the frame on the RnR, where the angled front intersects the curved roof? Yup, that would be a hard 'un.

If any of it looks familiar, that's because any time I see something I think is a good idea, I steal^W am inspired by it. :whistle:
Cakefiend
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ron Dickey » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:25 pm

might help to have an over head drawing of the units.

Looks simple at first but the inside looks like needs more thought.

is more then one person going to sleep in it or do you ever thing of bringing along a friend? I can see one head at the front but not 2.

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Cakefiend » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:08 am

Overhead, no can do I'm afraid. How about underneath...

Slightly wonky this one, wonder what happened there.

Units are even in imperial for yall'

I based a lot of measurements on a handy double bed, as both myself and my wife (married at 26 - what happened there?) are, ahem, 'snack-sized'. She with immeasurable patience let me mount cardboard walls on the bed :lol: and we came to the conclusion these measurement would be fine, as long as we had a porch tent or some other outside space to store some stuff.

Edit: just realised the dimensions I stated in the first post are a little off. cursed 2-system edumacation. The ones in these images are correct.

2nd edit: sketchup turned 180cm into 5.9 feet, not 5' 11". Decimal feet? What?
Cakefiend
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Member Designs