new trailer, new builder (soon anyway)

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

new trailer, new builder (soon anyway)

Postby phlyfish » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:07 pm

I ran into this forum after seeing an off-road tear on another forum. I am hooked. I wanted to start my build this winter but work may delay that dream.

Here is the plan. I wanted something that could sleep 4, be cooled in the summer and heated in the winter. Insulated. I wanted to be able to leave my camping gear in it to make it easier to hook up and go. I did not want something very big, and it needed to be able to be pulled over some rough terain. I settled on a 5x10 and started thinking about how I wanted it laid out. The design is still more in my head than on paper. This is what I came up with.

Heating and cooling will come from a modular unit in the front of the trailer. During the summer the AC will sit int he center section of a sliding drawer. Open the front and slide it out. During the Fall/Spring I will replace the AC unit with a box I build the same size. It will have hookups for a Zodi tent heater.

The sides of the front cabinet will have storage with a CD player and the front speakers. Between the speakers and AC I will put a smaller Plexi shelf for small stuff.

The Galley will be small with a slide out mount for a stove and slide out for cooler/ARB fridge. The center will hold two drawers. At the bottom is a 12 gal water tank. I am not sure if it will have a pump or not.

My hatch for the Galley will be a welded "tailgate" design. I plan on putting "pins" on the bumper to set the tailgate on. The top will be secured with a spring loaded draw type clamp. I plan on putting table legs on the inside of the tailgate. It will make a 2' x 5' table for food prep. when removed from the trailer. Storage under the stove for Dutch ovens, ect.

I plan on putting a rack welded to the frame for bikes or a small homemade drift boat.

The kids sleeping area fold down to double as a couch for the rainy days. It will also have a flip down dvd player mounted where most vant fans are mounted. I am goigng to use a 6" round push up fan/vent for ventalation.

The area at the foot of the bed will be the electrical chase.

The "open" back will not be there. Just figuring out Sketchup.

Windows in the doors will be active, side windows will be lexan.

Still deciding on 4' or 5' for the height.

This will sit on 33" tires and will more than likely be sprung under. I would get a second set of smaller tires to pull behind my other vehicles. Plan on putting brakes on the trailer.

Tow vehicle will be a sprung over FJ-40 landcruiser.

EDIT: Any feedback is appreciated. It will only make my build that much smoother. Thanks

Curtis
phlyfish
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GregB » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:52 am

Curtis,

It looks to me like the front cabinets over the head of your bed are a promise of upcoming profanity. I suspect that you'll be whacking your nugget on them while laying down and then again when sitting up in the dark.

If you use a 4' beginning height for the walls, then your foot box and the kids headroom both become uncomfortably tight, but then I tend to be claustrophobic. Remember to take your mattress thickness into consideration.

Some of the best advice I've heard on this board is to mock your ideas up with cardboard and gaffers tape and see if you can live with your design. It really is the gold standard for feedback.

Nice start!

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:59 am

Curtis,

It looks too small and too tight. It looks like your back end comes down too far...

I know you are building a boxy trailer cause you are towing with an FJ, but please, consider the Benroy shape for you application. First of all a benroy looks good behind an FJ, and secondly you can better package your stuff in a Benroy.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:48 pm

:thumbsup: What they said, but if you really like the shape you have why not make the back higher. That will solve your height issue for the bunk. Love the bunk idea!

I would definitely go with 5' high. That will help with some of your clearance issues.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby phlyfish » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:03 pm

I do like the shape. I am playing with a 5' tall model with the same front cabinet and rear galley design. The extra foot will be added under the front cab. and in the kids bunk/footwell area.

I also like the shape of the Benroy....but I need space for a 18 month old and 4 year old.

I am planning on mocking it up in OSB and cardboard before I build.

Any other input would be great...
phlyfish
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GregB » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:14 am

mikeschn wrote:Curtis,

...It looks like your back end comes down too far...

Mike...

Mike,

It's a good thing you're talking about trailers and Curtis is a guy.:lol: :lol:

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:44 am

[quote="phlyfish"]I
I am planning on mocking it up in OSB and cardboard before I build.

Osb is relatively cheap and a mock up is a real great idea. Build as close to your design as possible and try it on for size. I think the others are right you are trying to cram a lot in a real small space and once you try it on you will realize it . You can always recycle the osb into cabinets tote boxes etc.

I felt it was better to spend a few bucks first and after ours was mocked up we realized our galley wall was to far forward. 4"'s solved the problem but had we just blindly went forward we would have been to far into our build to change what needed changed. All done I should have moved it seven inches back instead of four as the mattress is trying to climb the front wall a bit. Oh well there is always the next one !! :lol:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:24 pm

I don't know how much research you have done but it might be a little tight for the person above how will they get out when nature calls?

is an example of what they did long ago

George in Calarado has one where the roof lifts up for his daughtor to sleep and another slide out for her feet.

I like the disign and concept alot. just looks like the above person is a little bit in to tight of a spot and with out much of a way out easly. If you could fiigure how to lift that roof dearing sleep time your friend might come along.

You might do like some guys do get some Refigerator boxes and make a model, full size.

Just some thoughts. There are lots of folks here who can help you design as well as show you what they did to raze a roof or make a tight spot a little bigger.

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Return to Member Designs