Slide out galley area

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Slide out galley area

Postby Mini Renegade » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:16 am

I am toying with the idea of not having a rear hatch on the next one but having a pull out galley on a benroy.
As I`m crap with words and even worse with computers I`ll describe it.
:lol:

The flat section on the rear of a benroy would be the face and if the dimentions are the same into the trailer as up this would make a square on the profile, this would go all the way accross the rear,(stay with me I`m lost too).
This section would pull out rearwards and have a flip up lid with cooker etc under it and a drop down front to access cupboards/drawers etc.
I got the idea from looking at trailer tents over here.
The idea is to free up asmuch space inside for a kids bunk space.
Has anybody experimented with this ideaand if not, will it work??????? :?
If evvr tha dus owt fr nowt, allus do it fr thissen
Mini Renegade
500 Club

Postby GregB » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:37 am

I've thought about what you describe. You can buy heavy duty drawer slides (250-600lbs.!) to support a slide out that you describe. The biggest problem that I could think of was the seal between the tear and the galley once it was extended. The complexity of the build convinced me to simply add 2' more to my tear. The added weight is negligible, there is no hit on mileage and you've still got a strong, unified structure without any breaks in it to compromise weatherproofness (not really a word, but you get the idea) or rigidity. Having a slide-out galley doesn't seem to get you anything but a shorter body and the oooooh! factor.

For me, the short answer was add 2 feet instead of trying to get cute with fancy roll-outs, YMMV.

Cheers,

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby cguardsman » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:50 pm

you could just put a door in the side and have the galley (drawer) pull out with a drop down leg to give it extra support.
Craig
cguardsman
Teardrop Master

Postby Mini Renegade » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:22 pm

I like the idea of the drawer way out of the sides, I cant add another 2 feet in length due to storage space, my car and tear have to fit in a 10 foot by 18 foot garage!
If evvr tha dus owt fr nowt, allus do it fr thissen
Mini Renegade
500 Club

Return to Member Designs