Trying something different

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Trying something different

Postby Wimperdink » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:48 pm

This is what I came up with using sketchup. Its a lil "sketchy" as I only had it for an hour before I started designing. Its designed to have the back two doors swing out with cabinets attached for the kitchen. The sink will set in one side and the cook top on the other. I'll have a length of countertop to set between the two for extra space while cooking. When the doors are closed the extra counter sits under the cabinets. This would also allow me use the kitchen inside, to heat up a cup of cocoa if its miserable out and I dont feel like climbing out.

Still in predesign stages. Trailer is done and waiting for me to get started. It was an abused HF trailer rusted and bent. Some new steel and elbow grease brought it back.

And what i intend it to become....
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Podunkfla » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:13 am

Wimperdink... I really like your design. Funny, because I had been thinking along the same lines for a while. It might look good to throw a little bit of curve into the roof? What do you think?

Oh yeah... Welcome to the forum, by the way! :thumbsup:
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby Wimperdink » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:02 am

that was actually my original thought to throw some curve into the roof to mimic airstreams basecamp. Was also gonna copy the windows using lexan but threw that out due to complexity on first build.

I had thrown out the curved roof to make the build easier and to add a canoe/kayak rack to the top.... but seeing it in your edited picture makes it look great. :thumbsup:

p.s. how did you edit that without recreating everything in sketchup? I'd also like a roof mounted telescope with a periscope control. :D

original sketchup file is HERE for editing. I'm up for any and all suggestions.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Podunkfla » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:33 am

I'm kind of a photoshop geek, so it is easier for me to edit quick stuff that way. :lol:

Some more crazy stuff here: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v246/brickspix/
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby Wimperdink » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:40 pm

very entertaining.... I love the vw Truck.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Randy77301 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:50 pm

I like that design,,,, it is kinda similar to the one I am working on, with a squared back end......I wanted the extra space for 7' fishing rods, and am going to make a YAK rack for the top to carry a kayak.....

I like the swing out doors..........
Randy77301
Teardrop Advisor

Postby angib » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:29 pm

Wimperdink wrote:I had thrown out the curved roof to make the build easier and to add a canoe/kayak rack to the top....

I did a similar design a while ago:

But combining a curved roof and curved sides makes the joint where they meet a real problem - things like working out the compound angles to cut the ends of the roof spars are a nightmare!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Wimperdink » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:21 pm

looks good angib. Thats a lot of compound angles for sure. I may try podunks rendition though. Cuts down a lot of the angles with the bottom being straight fwd. I would expect with the front dipping down slightly that would help as well. It's going to be a test of talants for sure. This is going to be a long drawn out project for me anyway. I have too many projects and not enough space as it is. Lucky I have my aloha to use in the meantime so I dont need to be in a rush. :)
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Member Designs