Not Quite a Teardrop.....

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Not Quite a Teardrop.....

Postby Mayberry » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:25 pm

Well it's not a teardrop, but I had this brainstorm. I've got a boat, and I can't take the boat and a camper at the same time since I've only got a Jeep to tow with. So I figured why not utilize the boat trailer to carry a camper? I outfitted my "boat shed" with lifts so I could lift boats off of their trailers, so I could "hang" the boat and slide the trailer under my "camper module" that I "designed". It's not exactly a teardrop, but what do y'all think?
Mayberry
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mayberry » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:27 pm

On second thought.... it looks a bit much for the Jeep to pull. I still think it's a good idea tho...
Mayberry
Teardrop Inspector

Postby schaney » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:24 am

I like the multi-purpose trailer idea, although I agree it looks to big for a Jeep to handle. My TJ only had a 2000 lb tow capacity.

Just scale back the size some :thinking: Another thing to consider is distributing the weight in a way that you have a reasonable tongue weight.
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby sseaman » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:03 pm

Why not get a second trailer, boat trailers can be found pretty cheap.
sseaman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mayberry » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:51 pm

Well, I'm on an extremely tight budget, so only having one set of springs, tires, bearings, etc... to maintain is appealing. I would also only have one trailer to register each year instead of two. I do know people with multiple trailers that "share" a license plate, but it would be just my luck.....
Mayberry
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:05 pm

Great good thinking we thought out .... keep working on it maybe andrew can help you with that he is real good at that stuff.

I was much in your direction when I started but with little cash. I had planed to have mine remove so I could use the trailer as a utility trailer now that it is one ... I probably will never take it off for now it is held on with 2 bolts and it was origanally from a boat trailer. see my gallery.

Ron D.
Go for it. :thumbsup:
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Mayberry » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:40 pm

Well, here's revision 2. 10 1/2 feet in length, 6 1/2 feet wide. Should be manageable by the ol' Jeepster, eh?
Mayberry
Teardrop Inspector

Postby big earl » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:02 pm

nice design mayberry, I am almost finnished with my first build, and I already want to go a little bigger, will you be making the bed a goucho?
if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy
big earl
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mayberry » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:13 pm

big earl wrote:nice design mayberry, I am almost finnished with my first build, and I already want to go a little bigger, will you be making the bed a goucho?
Thanks. The bed will actually be bunks, a bottom double (maybe queen) and an upper big enough for a pair of 10 year olds.
Mayberry
Teardrop Inspector

Postby brian_bp » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:17 pm

That's an interesting design, and in an eight-foot wide body I bet it would work. At 6.5' wide, a side-by-bath (especially in that arrangement) and kitchen is pretty optimistic. I would lay it out full-size in masking tape on the floor for a reality check; if that seemed workable I would mock it up in cardboard.

The body size is essentially the same as the classic moulded fiberglass "egg" travel trailers (such as a Boler 1300 or Trillium 1300), so those designs (and their current incarnations, such as the Scamp 13, Casita 13', and Trillium Outback) can serve as inspiration.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mayberry » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:39 pm

Hey, thanks! I hadn't really taken wall thickness into consideration, and the engineering was by Miller Lite heh heh heh. Those floor plans have given me ideas.
Mayberry
Teardrop Inspector

Postby brian_bp » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:09 pm

Now for a suggestion which is further "out there"....

Since it's a boat trailer, and must remain a functional boat trailer, it presumably has angled bunks and accommodates an object with a vee-shaped bottom. How about a vee-shaped bottom, with custom-made freshwater and wastewater tanks under the floor, in the vee? The waste tank dump valve would logically be where the prop should be.

Am I making any sense?
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby brian_bp » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:13 pm

An issue to consider...

The boat is presumably quite rear-heavy (motor on the back) and the trailer axle position is correspondingly rearward. The floor plan should keep the heavy stuff together (better stability) and far enough rearward to work with the axle position - like the rear kitchen and bath plan shown.

Most small trailer plans have a central to forward kitchen and front bath, but can possibly just be turned around, depending on door versus tire interference.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mayberry » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:13 pm

I had actually thought of that, nestling tanks toward the center of the "v hull". Dump valves were to exit down the center to the rear, or "where the prop is". You must've been reading my mind! I was going to leave it all open though, no V bottom to the module. I like to keep things out in the open where I can keep an eye on them and service them easily.
Mayberry
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mayberry » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:22 pm

Hey Brian! Actually the boat that is on there now is almost neutrally balanced. There isn't much tongue weight at all, which I know is not good but my drive to the boat ramp is only 1 mile so it isn't really a problem. The "module" will most likely outweigh the boat, so the tongue weight will be increased. The boat tows fine with no sway, so that is part of the reason why I drew the camper the way I did to keep the weights similar. The door/ tire might be an issue, but I'll just rearrange the galley to accomodate a rear entry if that's the case.
Mayberry
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Member Designs