Larwyn profile

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Larwyn profile

Postby mikeschn » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:20 pm

Larwyn,

I've been looking at your new profile. I like it a lot. Did you say that was something I drew once upon a time? Do you have a copy of that which you can share with the rest of us?

I really like the way you used a pocket hole jig (or whatever it's called), and your horizontal roof connectors... that really makes things easy...

(Too many plans, too few records...) Hey, thats a quote for Dovaka.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Larwyn profile

Postby Larwyn » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:35 pm

mikeschn wrote:Larwyn,

I've been looking at your new profile. I like it a lot. Did you say that was something I drew once upon a time? Do you have a copy of that which you can share with the rest of us?

I really like the way you used a pocket hole jig (or whatever it's called), and your horizontal roof connectors... that really makes things easy...

(Too many plans, too few records...) Hey, thats a quote for Dovaka.

Mike...

Mike,

Sorry I missed this post for so long.

Yes, you sent me an early sketch of a curved weekender one day, I'm sure it was on this board. I started working on the elipses and next time I checked the group you had updated and changed the shape a bit for a more curved profile.

Everything should be somewhere in the archives except that I do have and excel spreadsheet of the x/y coordinates if you would like to see that.

I think I did take the easy way out on the wall framing, but everything is glued and screwed and stiff as a board...... :lol: What you are looking at standing on the table there is the inside wall with framing glued to it. The outside wall is 1.5 inches larger. Taking the Steve Fredric aproach and rolling my ceiling on from the outside after most of the interior work is done.

Thanks for your help and your interest.
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby Larwyn » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:59 pm

Mike,

I found the file you posted it was named curved_original_weekender4.gif.
I took that and ran with it.

Do not forget however that I admit that my scroll saw did insist on slight modification of the original x/y coordinates.... :o

I do not have a way of attaching pics to my posts but maybe you can locate the file by name..? I did try to upload it to my personal gallery but with this slow connection at the motel I could not get it to work, or did not have the patience to wait.
Larwyn

Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby mikeschn » Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:15 am

Ah yes, I remember doing that one...

Too many designs, too little time. :?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Laredo » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:48 pm

Is it me, or is this very Modernistic/cub looking? Compare Larwyn's profile to the pic below:
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:28 pm

Yes, it's similar to a Cub/Modernistic. But that's okay... the cub/modenistic is a very good looking profile!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:07 pm

the cub/modenistic is a very good looking profile!

I agree with you on that, Mike. As a matter of fact, that is what I wanted my tear to look like, but I was afraid I couldn't bend the wood to make the curves. And correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Cub and Modernistic were all metal trailers.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:11 pm

Yes, the cub I saw in CT was an all aluminum job. But I believe that you can bend baltic birch plywood, around those curves. You could probably bend 1/8" birch around those curves too. But the grain has to be perpendicular to the bends...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Larwyn » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:24 pm

mikeschn wrote:Yes, the cub I saw in CT was an all aluminum job. But I believe that you can bend baltic birch plywood, around those curves. You could probably bend 1/8" birch around those curves too. But the grain has to be perpendicular to the bends...

Mike...

I am rolling my ceiling on from the outside (as Steve Fredrick did), so far I have bent the first half sheet of 1/8" oak paneling for the ceiling around the front (grain across the profile). I'm keeping the rest of the ceiling open till I finish the interior cabinets. Narrow crown staples proved useless, had to use screws to hold it in place till the glue cured. And that will be the tightest bend I should have to make as the outside skin will be 1.5" larger radius, and the lower rear curve will have no "ceiling"... :)
Larwyn

Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Return to Member Designs