cargo tear

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

cargo tear

Postby Mark Mckeeman » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:57 pm

OK Folks,

I'm thinking about a Cargo cover for my 54"x 96" Snowbear trailer. :thinking: While not a camping teardrop it would fill my need to build something and provide a practical solution to covering my trailer. :thumbsup: I store the trailer outside. I frequently use the trailer in the winter and have to keep shoveling the snow out if it. :thumbdown: The design is a modified "Jim Dandy Sportsman" profile, resized to 3' high and 8' long with a squarer aft end. I'm thinking of a light aluminum tube or channel frame and riveted aluminum skin. 1/4" ply on the inside side walls and lower front section to take the abuse. :R The hatch would allow access for most jobs, but since the trailer is only 3' high the whole body would hinge on the aft frame rails to allow access to unload the front from each side. :applause:

Of course if I forgot about the rear hinges and just made it 4' tall for access and insulated it :thinking: .........you could add a side door for unloading and maybe a window to let in a little light, :roll: ...hmmmmm...kinda sound like a fella could sleep in their if he needed to.. :twisted:

Whada all think?

Mark
Mark Mckeeman
Teardrop Master

Postby bigron » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:24 pm

i am interested in a modifying a jim dandy design as well. i'd like to have the back be able to open to allow a motorcycle to fit in. was thinking of just standing the mattress up on it's side for travel and or loading of the bike.
i spent all my money on cars,bikes,women.......the rest i pissed away.
bigron
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mark Mckeeman » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:17 pm

The jim dandy is a cool profile but to look right it needs to be quite long. The original was 4 feet high and 9.5 feet long. For my cargo tear I reduced it to 3' x 8'. If you need more tha 4' of height for the bike to clear the the profile can get quite long.

Just for fun I fooled around with a 4' x 8' version of my cargo tear and dressed it up like a camper but it doesn't look like the sportsman any more. It would be a functional profile but nothing fantactic.

Mark
Mark Mckeeman
Teardrop Master

Return to Member Designs