Construction question

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Construction question

Postby WayneD » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:31 pm

Hi Everyone. I'm hoping to get started on building my own teadrop once I get some plans worked out from an old set I downloaded from a group. Sort of a hybrid of old and new. The only hitch I'm having is that back hatch construction to make it watertight. The rest I can do. (Farmer inginuity. Okay so I can spell worth beans.) But getting that back hatch to be watertight is driving me nuts! I'm hoping to use plywood (4' X 8') and 2" X 2" lumber from the frame with 2" X 4" for the base for strength. Styrofoam to insualte it and some LED lights I want to build for interior and exterior lighting. If anyone can help I'd be greatly appreciative.
From the great white north,
Wayne
WayneD
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Construction question

Postby mikeschn » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:11 pm

WayneD wrote:Hi Everyone. I'm hoping to get started on building my own teadrop once I get some plans worked out from an old set I downloaded from a group. Sort of a hybrid of old and new. The only hitch I'm having is that back hatch construction to make it watertight. The rest I can do. (Farmer inginuity. Okay so I can spell worth beans.) But getting that back hatch to be watertight is driving me nuts! I'm hoping to use plywood (4' X 8') and 2" X 2" lumber from the frame with 2" X 4" for the base for strength. Styrofoam to insualte it and some LED lights I want to build for interior and exterior lighting. If anyone can help I'd be greatly appreciative.
From the great white north,
Wayne

Hey Wayne,

Welcome to the forum... where is the great white north... are you just down the street from me?

Getting the hatch watertight is easy. Use Grant's hurricane hinge, and extend it over the edge an inch on each side. Then use as much foam weatherstripping on the side edges and it takes to fill the gap. And finally, build a rigid frame for the hatch, and draw it up tight with latches.

There's a lot of material in the forum on this... just do a search. If you have a problem finding a specific detail, just holler... we'll help you find it...

mike...

P.S. Here is a starting point...
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... hatch#3980

Here's my hatch...
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... atch#17302

And here is how Bev fixed a leaky hatch...
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... hatch#7083
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby WayneD » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:25 pm

Thanks for the welcome and the info. :) I live in Canada. Heard about Teardrop trailers about 2-3 years ago and have been tracking stuff down on them and looking at various designs. Thanks again. :)

Wayne
WayneD
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mark Mckeeman » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:32 pm

Welcome fellow Canadian,

There are a few of us here. This is by far the best run forum and the best group of on line friends a person could ask for. You'll find all the help you need for a successful teardrop project right here. :thumbsup:

Just where exactly is your "nowhere" I think I may have come from the same place but settled just outside Ottawa now.

Bye for now, Mark
Mark Mckeeman
Teardrop Master

Postby WayneD » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:31 pm

Cool. More Canadians that I would have thought. Thanks for the encouragement. And Alberta here.

Wayne
WayneD
Teardrop Inspector

Postby catrinka » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:47 pm

Welcome aboard Wayne. You'll find a few of us Albertans here too.
catrinka
500 Club

Postby WayneD » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:25 am

Hi Cathy and cool. Amazing what a person can find when you least expect it. :)

Wayne
WayneD
Teardrop Inspector

Another question

Postby WayneD » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:03 pm

Where can you order or pick up the hinge for the back hatch? My plans call for piano hinge but I know those things leak. If not I have an idea for a hatch style cover for the back I can do with light angle iron, some normal hinges and plywood.

Wayne

P.S. Just how many Albertans are on here?
WayneD
Teardrop Inspector

Postby catrinka » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:11 am

I think there are 4 of us now.
catrinka
500 Club

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:55 am

catrinka wrote:I think there are 4 of us now.

Aren't you the "Official North of thr Border Member Census Taker" now?

Postby catrinka » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:21 pm

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl2: :drofl:
catrinka
500 Club

Postby Paul W » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:32 pm

Wayne,

I know of you, Cathy, Proud2bcdn and myself from Alberta now. I believe that Cathy is from up Edmonton way, and I'm from Canmore... Where in Alberta do you call home?
Camp-Inn
Paul, Canmore, AB
Paul W
Teardrop Builder

Postby catrinka » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:48 pm

I'm in Edmonton for now. My partner is in Fort McMurray and hopefully I'll be moving north in the next few months. Once we all have our trailers maybe we can organize our own little meet.
catrinka
500 Club

Postby WayneD » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:46 am

Clsoer than I expected. I live near Mayerthorpe, small town near Mayerthorpe. Will take me a while to get it finished and see about a met up.

Wayne
WayneD
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Member Designs