Skeet'r II

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby TheDuke » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:30 am

Andrew:
Used Tongue Strength page. (See Album) seems like this should do it. Used the A-Frame since I need such a long tongue length to avoid crunching the sharp front of the trailer in tight turns. Required strength was rather high, so went to the A-Frame.
Dispensed with the gusset.
TheDuke
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:39 pm

TheDuke wrote:Used the A-Frame since...

Good - I much prefer the A-frame type of tongue as it carries the hitch load directly from where it starts (the hitch) to where it has to end up (the side rails).

I don't like the 'composite' (Y-shaped) tongue, like you were using before, because the two weaker side braces will end up carrying most of the hitch load, as they are on the direct load path, while the strong central tongue member will be underused.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby TheDuke » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:00 pm

Thanks Andrew. Really appreciate your help.

TheDuke
TheDuke
Teardrop Master

Postby TheDuke » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:59 pm

Steel order is delayed, but I hope it can be soon. Meanwhile, there are some Sketchup views of where the design is right now. The mannikins inside have been scaled to 5'8" and both the standing and sitting models fit as planned, so all is on track. All I need is steel!

Interior views as I get them

TheDuke
TheDuke
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:34 pm

Darn on the steel delay... I was so hoping to see some progress from you soon!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby TheDuke » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:47 pm

Posted a few more Sketchup pics of Skeet'r. By this time I hoped to be done with the frame, but it's not to be, yet. There's a saying in the Mfg. Industry that there's a time in every project to shoot the engineer, and BUILD SOMETHING. Well, it's time. Just can't get it moving any faster.
TheDuke
TheDuke
Teardrop Master

Postby TheDuke » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:11 pm

Back on the air. Thanks, Mike
TheDuke
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:40 pm

:D

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby TheDuke » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:33 pm

This project is FINALLY launched. But it’s not going to be the Skeet’r as you might have thought. New design, but no name yet. I’ll start a new thread then. Meanwhile, here’s a pic of the scene of the crime, where it’s going to be built

and the unpacked boxes

they’ll probably stay that way until the middle of December, as I’ve got to go to Arizona shortly, but I’ll start it when I get back.

TheDuke
TheDuke
Teardrop Master

Postby TheDuke » Thu May 07, 2009 6:03 pm

Just so's you'll know, I haven't died, and neither has the project. I really never expected so many delays to jump up and trip me. But it's still moving. I hope I can post a pic of the first small pile of sawdust before long. BTW, it's not the Skeet'r II anymore - - just "Skeetr"

TheDuke
TheDuke
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Thu May 07, 2009 6:22 pm

Are you still building on the red trailer like you originally planned?

What's the next step, assemble the trailer???

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby TheDuke » Thu May 07, 2009 7:09 pm

Yup, same one, only I've got some 1-1/2 by 1-1/2 angle extension pieces I'm going to butt weld onto the side, cuz I decided to make it a little wider. It looks a little different from my avatar, but not much. I'm not spending any more time doing SketchUP pics of it, but I'll post a line drawing of how it is right now. Actually, it's ending up with a small trolley top, so I can get rid of the big underhang, and still stand in it.

BUT FIRST, I've gotta fix this darn utility trailer so I can get it outa the garage.

TheDuke
TheDuke
Teardrop Master

Postby TheDuke » Thu May 07, 2009 7:14 pm

Would prolly have used the underhang, except it totally ruined the departure angle, without hinging it and swinging it up, so I did the trolley thing instead.
TheDuke
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Thu May 07, 2009 7:19 pm

So all the years of designing, and you are still designing as you go... :?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby TheDuke » Thu May 07, 2009 7:26 pm

Couldn't do it all those years ago, cuz I would have been fired, but it IS more fun, isn't it?
TheDuke
TheDuke
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs