SawTooth XL - Update 6.27.11 - Repairs started

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby gullywompr » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:10 pm

It really looks great! I've followed this build for quite a while, and it's wonderful to see your dream come to life. Congratulations!
Cheers,
Curtis Olson
gullywompr
Teardrop Master

Postby dwillys1 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:47 am

Truely an awesome build. Very impressive.
dwillys1
Teardrop Inspector

Wow

Postby Jeeper92 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:18 am

that thing is a true work of art. You should be very proud of it
Jeeper92
500 Club

Postby stomperxj » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:20 pm

Ive been out enjoying my trailer the last few weekends...

I should have some updates in a few weeks. I have to get batteries, finish painting, wire/install lights and i have a sheet of formica for the galley....

Updates soon hopefully :)

Jess
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby atahoekid » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:07 pm

After browsing through your build pages, I gotta say I am both truly impressed and inspired. I started discussing the project with the wife and when she found out what you've put into yours vs. what we would need to pay for a tent trailer or something similar, she too is convinced I should start designing. The build start date however is tentative pending me finishing a few house remodeling issues.

I hope you don't mind but I intend to borrow freely from your design though it probably won't be as aggressively off-road as yours. I look forward to reading about your build in detail as time permits, but I think you've done a great job and you should get quite a bit of joy and satisfaction from it. :thumbsup:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby officersdr » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:03 pm

I love the finish you got on your trailer.... What did you use to waterproof it?? What it just epoxy you used before the primer??

Excellent work on the sawtooth and the build thread.......Be very proud
officersdr
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dan476 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:44 pm

Jess, any more updates/pictures?
dan476
Teardrop Inspector

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:11 am

That thing just turned out to be BAD@$$!! I love the industrial look!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:15 pm

Jess

Great to see your trailer is on the road and camp-able. Looks like a winner behind that Jeep. Hope to see you round a campfire sometime.

Randy ( in Rupert Id. )
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby YuGun » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:59 am

Looks very good.
YuGun
The 300 Club

Postby stomperxj » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:38 pm

Greetings all - Ive been out enjoying my trailer for the last couple months. Took all the kids camping to Deadwood and Twin Springs and Nicole and I have been out on a few by ourselves too. The latest adventure was the best trip I have ever taken in my life.... 6 days and about 475 miles through the Boise, Challis and Sawtooth national forests. It was a great trip. Here are some pics and a link to the route we took:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... b8359a&z=9

Link to the rest:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v236/ ... on%202010/

Here are a few thoughts and some final information about the trailer now that I have used it a half a dozen times:

Total cost to this point: $2500 give or take a few. Still need batteries and a couple other things
I now have formica in the galley area. Much better than paint
Shower setup is done - Its GREAT to have a hot shower out in the woods

Good points:
Lightweight, easy to tow, easy to move by hand if needed
Warm even in cold weather. We had some 30* mornings and were toasty the whole time
The side table and galley are just the right size for food and supplies
Quick setup - we pulled off the road the first night and were in bed within 5-10 minutes
Even with the fender wells inboard in the sleeping area there is plenty of room side to side for 2 people
Lots of people have asked where they can buy one and I get a lot of satisfaction telling them I built it

Bad points:
The bed is a little short. I'm about 5'11" and it could stand to be about 6" longer
Needs a better mattress. 5" of cheap foam and a couple sleeping bags isn't enough.
Hatch hinges work great and are strong but allows water to drip into the galley when open.
Storage area in the back is a little small but works for what we put in it - propane, axe, bow saw, extension cord... etc.
Wood choice - I wish i would have used Baltic Birch for the rear body panel and the storage door. Door is starting to warp and the grain of the wood is visible.

Overall I really like this trailer. I plan on getting at least a 6" mem foam mattress for it this winter. This trailer will be used next season and then possibly put up for sale so I can build Version 2.0 if I get my own shop/garage by then. I have already started designing V2.0 with some improvements over what i have learned on this one.

Thanks again to all of my online friends for all the encouragement, positive comments and feedback over the last couple years during the construction and during my hard times. I hope I have inspired someone to build their own. With patience, time and some forethought, anything is possible.

Best wishes and happy camping :)
Jess
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby Endo » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:37 pm

Jess

Nice pics! Looks like it was a great trip.

Can you give me more details on your shower set-up.
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:26 pm

Just finished looking at your fall trip pics.

Now you have done it. Even more people will want to come to Idaho.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Absolutely beautiful. Looks like you had a great time.

I am thinking about a 5 day 4 night trip some time in Nov. Just about guaranteed it will not be hot. My farm job will probably keep me pretty busy until at least the 2nd week of Nov. hmmmm. Maybe a thanksgiving camp out. In some lower elevations.

Hell's canyon?

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Heifer Boy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:58 am

stomperxj wrote:More pics:

I know your post is nearly 2 years old but can you remember the model number or where you got your door hinges?

I've been looking for some black hinges like that for ages and can't find any. I was about to change my compression locks for chrome ones and buy some stainless hinges but really want black.

Any help would be great. Fantastic build by the way. Hugely educational and inspirational.

Cheers,
HB
Heifer Boy
Teardrop Builder

Postby stomperxj » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Heifer Boy wrote:I know your post is nearly 2 years old but can you remember the model number or where you got your door hinges?

I've been looking for some black hinges like that for ages and can't find any. I was about to change my compression locks for chrome ones and buy some stainless hinges but really want black.

Any help would be great. Fantastic build by the way. Hugely educational and inspirational.

Cheers,
HB

Thanks HB :)

I got them at Lowes:

Stanley-National Hardware 3-1/2" Black Powder Coat Gate Hinge

http://www.lowes.com/pd_8075-1277-CD908 ... te%2Bhinge

For the price they are a pretty good hinge...

Let me know if you have any more questions-
Jess
stomperxj
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs