SawTooth XL - Update 6.27.11 - Repairs started

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby Chris00WJ » Sat May 22, 2010 7:42 pm

Looks awesome! I cant wait to see it skinned! The suspense is killing me! Get to work! :lol:
Chris00WJ
Teardrop Builder

Postby YuGun » Sun May 23, 2010 1:48 pm

I like that led lights. Very nice.
I want to ask something,
Must used plywood be waterproof under the epoxy coat?
YuGun
The 300 Club

Postby stomperxj » Sun May 23, 2010 9:21 pm

Thanks Tom and Chris :)

YuGun wrote:I like that led lights. Very nice.
I want to ask something,
Must used plywood be waterproof under the epoxy coat?

Yugun - I used baltic birch and ACX plywood. Its not pressure treated or waterproofed before hand. The CPES is doing the waterproofing ;)

Mother nature decided to not bring any rain today so i got a few more things done. Got the fenders temporarily mounted, tail light boxes temporarily mounted and drilled the frame for the marker lights. I was being Captain Overkill today... (4) 1/4-20 bolts and (22) #10x1/2" screws to hold on each fender. I dont think they will fall off :)

I also took a couple snaps before it went back into storage

More next weekend. I'm hopefully going to spray some primer in the next 2 weeks barring any more rainstorms...

Jess
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon May 24, 2010 7:22 pm

It's lookin' good! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby steve smoot » Tue May 25, 2010 6:26 am

Jess, it looks really nice and it's one of few that still looks like the design drawings... :thumbsup:
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing...
steve smoot
Lifetime member

Postby planovet » Tue May 25, 2010 8:51 am

Looks great! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby bansil » Wed May 26, 2010 9:09 am

been lurking and love the site........

My first post is in your thread,awesome job :applause:

This has finally motivated me to get into gear and start really planning my offroad trailer also...

Again good job
bansil
Teardrop Inspector

Postby stomperxj » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:06 pm

More updates!!

Second coat of CPES is done, added a receiver tube to the frame, capped the frame corners, wired for tail lights, sanded more and i sprayed primer this weekend :) Nicole even got in on the welding action... Dad installed a winch in the shop so that made it pretty easy to lift the body off the frame...

Primer is done! I am changing my game plan for the finish coat. I'm not sure to what yet but automotive paint is friggin expensive. $94 for sandable primer with hardener and reducer :shock:

I'm thinking Marine topside paint or something like that, that has good UV protection. Any suggestions are welcome!

More next weekend hopefully

Jess
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby parnold » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:12 pm

Acrylic Enamel car paint is what I used.

You can check this place out, prices are good, he's the 2nd largest paint seller on the internet, and he's also a customer of mine.

http://www.paintforcars.com/acrylic_enamel_paint.html
parnold
Donating Member

Postby eatatjoz » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:55 pm

If you're in redneck enough country, go to the auto parts store and look through their tractor paint.
Ford 8N red should get you close, and there are lots of variances on white.
eatatjoz
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:30 am

Massey Ferguson Red

Seriously Tractor Paint is very good quality for what you pay for it. I spray painted a 65 ford pickup almost 30 years ago I still have the bed of it as a utility trailer and it still looks good despite being totally ignored forever.

The barn got a freshing coat today ( about 6 hours before the rain :x ) hope it skinned over enough the rain didn't affect it. I guess I will see what kinda mess I have in the A.M. light. Next time I should believe the weather man :thinking:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Chris00WJ » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:27 am

Looks fantastic! Feels like I've been waiting forever for it to change colors, haha.

Be careful with any type of automotive paint. Any flex in the body will cause the finish to crack if a flex agent isnt used. The last thing you want is water getting in a hairline crack because of flex. Keep in mind, wood expands and contracts with weather and humidity.

Im loving the plugs for the frame. I was beginning to think I may just leave it open but that looks fantastic. I cant wait to see what's next!
Chris00WJ
Teardrop Builder

Postby planovet » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:05 pm

Try a trailer paint. I used Valspar Supreme Acrylic Enamel in standard red. The cherry red metallic looks nice.

http://www.redneck-trailer.com/2009/I/I7-I10.pdf

ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby hugh » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:51 pm

I used a marine topside paint - interlux and it lasted 1 summer and 1 winter before developing a lot of cracks, from the paint rep I spoke to it was prob due the paint being to rigid for all the flexing the wood does as it expands and contracts with the seasons. So I spoke to a Sherwin Williams rep and after him looking at my trailer and then his company product line for over 1/2 hour he recommended an acrylic marine latex paint. It,s called Sher - cryl HPA. Supposed to be quite flexible. I am in the process of applying it now so once it,s done a picture can be posted. Hopefully it will last longer than the interlux paint. If it does not last better than a few years I will bite the bullet and get aluminum.
hugh
Teardrop Master

Postby stomperxj » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:19 pm

hugh wrote:I used a marine topside paint - interlux and it lasted 1 summer and 1 winter before developing a lot of cracks, from the paint rep I spoke to it was prob due the paint being to rigid for all the flexing the wood does as it expands and contracts with the seasons. So I spoke to a Sherwin Williams rep and after him looking at my trailer and then his company product line for over 1/2 hour he recommended an acrylic marine latex paint. It,s called Sher - cryl HPA. Supposed to be quite flexible. I am in the process of applying it now so once it,s done a picture can be posted. Hopefully it will last longer than the interlux paint. If it does not last better than a few years I will bite the bullet and get aluminum.

I called SW today and talked to a guy about the Sher-Cryl HPA. Its basically a premium grade exterior house paint. Topside paint is a single stage polyurethane very similar to automotive paint. Im having a hard time finding anyone locally that stocks topside paint....
stomperxj
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs