Scotty rebuild - it's a standie...

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Scotty rebuild - it's a standie...

Postby navigator » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:01 am

After all the drawing and thinking on making a folding trailer, I decided to go with a simple plan -- get a trailer that is tall enough to stand in! Found a great deal on a 1966 Scotty Sportsman 13', got it home, and found that it was in pretty bad shape under the skin. It is now stripped to the frame, but will rise again from the rot. The features I like are room for a full-size bed, a small dinette, a porta-potty, and standing in the dropped floor. It is also short, and has the curves to make it stylish.

I am not "restoring" the trailer; I will rebuild it to suit my needs. One idea is to put a galley-ish feature in the rear end, to save dragging things out of the trailer to set up the kitchen. Take a look:

The countertops flip over from the front of each half door, and there is room for a cooler and other stuff inside (under the bed). Small items can be stored in the doors, and the cooking will be done several feet away from the trailer on a free-standing table.

First I have to work over the frame, and replace the wimpy torsion axle with a new, beefier setup. So, not in a rush, but at least I have started!

If anyone needs Scotty parts, I have a pile of 'em I won't be using, including the windows. (Got a deal on newer windows from a demolished camper.) About all that will reused is the frame and skin...

navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:22 am

Do you have any of the original badging from the Scotty? I really like your ideas on how to modify it! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby cuyeda » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:42 am

One of the 5 wide guys had a nice galley area with counter tops, and hinged doors like your idea.

There are more pictures of the galley in different parts of this photo album.
More pics here. You will have to look forward, and backward from this page.
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:27 am

Let's hear it for the "u" shaped kitchen (oops Galley)

9' of counter space in a 5 wide !!!!

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby navigator » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:59 pm

Doug,
There are two of the metal "Scotty" name plates, but I will probably put them back on.

Cliff,
Thanks for the link, those are interesting photos. That's quite a hinge and latch setup on there! I will probably go for something a bit simpler, but the steel tube framing is a good idea.
navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby TomW » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:34 pm

I like the concept of the swing out storage in the back.

I am almost finished with my Generic Benroy, Pictures soon. The details are killing me.

I have a friend with a 11' (I think) Serro Sportsman (I know it is the smaller one). We have already discussed building a copy from the ground up. I am going to use his Serro as a template. Plant to put it into Autocad as I go along.

I think it would be much easier than building the hatch portion of the Benroy. Nice flat surfaces for the sides, no cuts, special miters, etc.

I love the concept! :applause:
TomW
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bgordon » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:22 am

Hi Leonard,

Congratulations on your buy. It's a pity though about the water damage.

I must admit that I am sorry to hear you are not going with the foldie! :cry: :cry: I still think it is the best way to go, although the design is much tougher.

Good luck with your build. I'll be watching...
Barrie

Keep moving forward.
Psalm 1:1-3.

Build Journal: bgordon's 5 week cardboard & fiberglass build
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=38781
bgordon
Teardrop Master

Glad I found this post

Postby TheresaD » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:30 pm

There hasn't been any activity on this thread in a while but I had to post to this. I have been trying to come up with a way to create some sort of galley area on my 63 Scotty and was thinking of doing something along the lines of what you have drawn. It would allow me to keep the original Scotty lines but still tweak it to suit my needs. I don't plan to use the "kitchen" area inside the Scotty for cooking and really like the idea of incorporating the galley area of a teardrop into the plan. Instead I'm hoping to convert the kitchenette into more of a vanity/dresser area w/ a potty that pulls out of a cabinet on slides. I would love to see what you ended up doing with your trailer. Do you have any interior/exterior pics of it? I'm curious about whether or not you had to adjust the bed benches in the back to accommodate the galley.
Inquiring minds want to know!!
All The Best,

Theresa D.
Tearjerkers Great North Woods Chapter Director
68 Sprite 400
47 KIT Companion
TheresaD
Silver Donating Member

Postby navigator » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:06 pm

Well, the frame sat in the way for a while, and last week I cut it up so it would take up less space... Not what you expected, huh? Recently purchased an 80's Jayco pop-up, 8' long X 6' wide, took out the kitchen cabinets and modified it to fit a queen mattress. Just spent 10 days camping, and it worked out pretty well. Still would like to build a hard-side trailer, but the tent trailer works for now. Way better than tenting on the ground.

Good luck with your project! :D
navigator
Teardrop Master

Return to Member Designs