Birddog's (NOOB) Ideas

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Birddog's (NOOB) Ideas

Postby birddog1148 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:43 pm

Ok I would like to use this post as a sounding board as I do my reasearch on how I would like to proceed. First off the primary tow vehicle will be a '69 VW Baja bug.
I have a 4' x 6' utility trailer that I use to haul my sons Mini Wedge.
I wonder If I could modify a teardrop design to slide into that trailer.

I also have access to a good amout of 3/4 x 53" x 66'' beach pieces of plywood that were used as die boards to cut out fiberglass ironing board blanks. So they each have 3 "cookie cutter" blades in them. When I pull the blades out there are slots thru the plywood. And I was wondering what the thoughts are on using that wood.
As far as the trailer, the rails are 9 1/2" high and I could extend the floor plan over the front and back 1' and over the sideds some.

Any thoughts?
I deny your reality and substitute my own!

We the willing, led by the unknowing, have done so much, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
birddog1148
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Endo » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:12 pm

Where was the top picture taken?? I am always looking for places to take our Jeep.

Have you ever taken your buggy to Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Michigan......one of our favorite spots.

I am sure you could figure out some way to use your trailer but I think you will need to make too many compromises in your design. The biggest problem would be your doors. Your doors would be small and you would have to "climb" over your side rails to get into the tear. Unless you don't plan on having a galley and you enter the camper from the rear.

I think you would have a lot more design options if you start with a trailer without side rails.
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby grant whipp » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:16 pm

Birdog ...

Would you like to have a galley in the back of your teardrop design?

If it were me, I'd build a slide-in teardrop "box", built similar to a slide-in camper for a pickup ... let the "wings" hang out to about even with the edge of the fenders (or maybe just enough that the body is 5' wide) ... make the floor level with the top of the "wings", makes for lots of storage under ... set your side entry door as close to the floor as possible and still have a threshold to tie the bottom of the wall together ... carry a nice wooden step-stool to place outside the door to ease entry (but, it looks like it's not too high as is) ... if you are going to have a galley, I'd put most of the lengthwise overhang towards the front so the balance for proper tongue-weight will be closer to correct.

That's been done a couple of times with 4x8 utility trailers, and the results turned out pretty nice (a couple of pictures are on this forum somewhere) ... makes a nice multi-purpose rig.

Personally, I'd try to keep it as light as possible, too, so I'd forego the 3/4" plywood you mentioned ... unless you want to splice a couple of pieces together to make your floor.

If a multi-purpose rig like that fits your needs, I'd say go for it! Lots of possibilities and ways to make it work for you ... :thumbsup: ...!

Good Luck with the project! In the meantime ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby birddog1148 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:37 pm

Brad, the pic of the bug is at Painted Rock ORV park in Somerset. taking the family to Silver lake this summer.
http://www.paintedrockohv.com/

yes I would like to build a dual purpose rig and have wings come over the rail. i was worried about the weight as well, and I like that fiberglass over foam core in the floating teardrop thread.

We the willing, led by the unknowing, have done so much, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
birddog1148
Teardrop Advisor

Postby starleen2 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:45 pm

like this?

1) How did you build the overhangs/steps over the rails and still enable them to be structurally sound, able to support the weight of the box? Do you have internal frame members built in?
I used 1/2 ply for the flooring since I already had a trailer floor of expanded metal covered by sheet metal. The floor was 4X6. For the overhang/ step over the rails, I used a 2x10 six feet long on both side and for the span on the front. Then I screwed to the top of that a 2x8 that was a little longer in the front to give a little overhang in the front (the width of a 2x10). After the step up was built I screwed the walls to the 2x8’s and framed from there. I used on sheet of Plywood per side – I used 1/2 first – but later I found that i could have used thinner ply with the same results

2) What are the final dimensions of your living area? How tall is it inside? I know one of your later creations is only four feet tall. But the Tiny looks taller.
No it is 4 feet tall as well. I wanted it not to exceed the height of our jeep when towing. It is 67 inches wide and about 7 feet long

3) How much does the whole rig weigh? I'm guessing about 500-750 lbs unloaded. I'd like to consider the ability to unload the box if I want the trailer for hauling items too large to fit inside. I do my towing with a VW Jetta. I'm comfortable at 1000-lbs or less. I've towed 1500-lbs... but I prefer lighter loads.
Don’t know exactly – I overbuilt it (See above). I estimated it to be about 900 lbs

4) Did your mattress sit right on the floor? Or did you have planks that laid across the stepped out area? Was it an inflatable mattress? Did all three of you sleep inside?
We used a foam mattress which was placed along planks that covered the well area. That area was used for storage. The planks were taken up when we loaded the camper to allow for more carrying capacity. Yes, all three of us slept inside very nicely

What Did I learn? First think light – I tended to overbuild on the first one. Use the structural strength of the plywood to your advantage. Next – Never put a shelf above where your head is going to be – I though I would always be mindful of the shelf, but after a few knocks on the head, I learned this wasn’t too wise. Third – the overhang on the back was unnecessary – another head killer. And finally, these little trailers have the axel almost in the center of the trailer. With the overhang on the back, this gave me almost a negative tongue weight which would cause the trailer to sway. To counteract this, we would load the camper with a lot of the weight in front.
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby birddog1148 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:03 pm

I could always move the axel back if needed, seen somewhere that that is done with the HF trailer.
But that is the one I was talking about. :thumbsup:

birddog1148
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:45 am

Endo wrote:Where was the top picture taken?? I am always looking for places to take our Jeep.

Unrelated hijack....

Endo . The Badlands in Attica Indiana draws off roaders from several surrounding states.
http://www.badlandsoffroad.com/

All others please excuse my hijack[url][/url]
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Endo » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:40 am

bobhenry wrote:Unrelated hijack....

Endo . The Badlands in Attica Indiana draws off roaders from several surrounding states.
http://www.badlandsoffroad.com/

All others please excuse my hijack[url][/url]

Thanks. We hope to visit Badlands in the spring/early summer.
hijack over :lol:
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby birddog1148 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:01 am

I have been thinking. What if I used a traditional teardrop profile and raised it over the rails (9") and used the area below the rails as storage and part of the galley? I could put more weight on the toung by pushing it forward as sugested.

birddog1148
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aggie79 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:03 am

birddog1148 wrote:I have been thinking. What if I used a traditional teardrop profile and raised it over the rails (9") and used the area below the rails as storage and part of the galley? I could put more weight on the toung by pushing it forward as sugested.

Certainly seems do-able.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby navigator » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:09 pm

How about a baja variation of this...

navigator
Teardrop Master

Return to Member Designs