Rogers Build- Here we go again.

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby RogHodge » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:08 pm

My computer skills are not CAD ready- I will work on getting a profile (paper and pencil) that I like and post it when it’s ready. It will most likely be quazi-Grumman with a little of my stuff thrown in for giggles and originality
As long as people are checking this thread here is a list of “needs” that I am considering (all with a view to cheap and light)
AC- a must as much of my camping will be in the desert (rockets)
A place to sit inside- it gets windy at times in the desert and I need a place to hide. Something like the “Lil diner” (where is that thread?)
Wow I guess that’s the list…
I want to be styling- the build for me is as important as the camping. I like to work with my hands. It offers a break from the psychology- wood is predictable- people are not
Perhaps a trolley top to house the AC ????? :twisted:

In other news I defend a dissertation on February 13th- pray for me-
:worship:
For those who would like to have a look I have a build journal and covet your feedback.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33547
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:42 am

:o Oh dear a dissertation on my birthday. 8) Prayers will be sent daily as you prepare. :worship:

Air conditioner is good. I use a cheapy window unit with good venting. It can be noisy but cools really well. I made it a cabinet while I was learning. :lol: You will need electricity so if it isn't available see the "Electric Secrets" for generator info. (if needed)

We sit on the bed. You can make tables to slide out in almost any size and shape of tear. In "Construction secrets" there is a cabinet thread sticky to help. Some great ideas. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby RogHodge » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:12 pm

Thanks Miriam- I went through your build photos, looks good- big though. :)
Do you get enough venting for the A/C? Does the galley lid need to be open? I thought about putting the A/C high in the front- help with balance without moving the axle. Of course the entire design will depend upon the trailer I end up with. :thinking: May default to the HF cheepy. I did see two cheep models- 990lbs and 1175 lbs?!? not sure the diff? I am thinking of a goal of <$750 and <750lbs so the 990lbs model should fit the bill- maybe.
“slide out table”? Slide out of where? I have seen the galleys galore link with plenty of options but I need to sit upright inside the tear in a ‘ridin the storm out’ sorta way.
I ramble- in other news I’m going to check out this trailer today- $1250- we’ll see.
For those who would like to have a look I have a build journal and covet your feedback.
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:43 pm

I originally vented through hoses to the bottom of the trailer. One is passive. This worked good, but I decided it could be better. Galley lid doesn't need to be open.

I put two holes in the side and there is a board that separates the intake and exhaust. There is also a vent on the other side in the galley.

There is bubble insulation on all the wood parts now. Keeps the wood from getting hot and the whole thing works wonderfully.

For a normal size tear it doesn't take much air to cool it off. We went out in 95* weather and Mike likes to sleep cold...

btw thanks. ;)
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Dean_A » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:29 pm

Hmmm. Live into SoCal and into Rockets and the desert? Ever been to PlasterBlaster out at Plaster City? If so we may have run into each other.

I have a flat spot on mine just long enough for the vent. I didn't want to tempt fate by trying to mount it on a curve. An alternate option to the AC is a good powered vent (e.g. Fantastic Vent). Not as effective as AC, but a lot simpler and easier to install.

Mine is about 5' x 9'. I chose to not wrap the back end on mine, as it seemed easier at the time for my skill level. I have no regrets. i think it looks good. I also made my front curve deep enough for a front closet. One thing I would do differently is to make the curves a little more "geometric". I ened up with a slight flat spot at the front of my TD, and it was a bear getting the ply to fill in the gap.

I was going to have my sides cover the frame on mine, but in the end decided I wanted the extra couple inches of head room.

Dean_A
Gold Donating Member

Postby RogHodge » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:26 pm

EVER BEEN TO PLASTER BLASTER!!! I AM Plaster Blaster- 8) Okay that’s an exaggeration, but yes I have- every year. I remember it well… (que dream sequence) Recently fired from my last church… wandering aimlessly through the desert… :sweaty: but I digress
As a reference- I’m the guy with the rapier like wit on the microphone. Our little group has a ‘secret project’ :shhh: for PB8- the happiest launch on earth.
We might have run into each other- I don’t remember any teardrops out there though? Lets maintain this dialogue and perhaps we’ll see each other out there this year. :shake hands:
So- fantastic fan- Dean knows how hot it gets in Plaster City- We Pray for a 95 degree day (sorry Mriam) but one thing the desert has going for it is it cools at night…. ? maybe
Of course if I want my wife to go I must have A/C
Fantastic Fan it is!
:lol:
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby Dean_A » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:43 pm

The reason you didn't see my teardrop is that it's still not done! I'm taking the long road (4 years and counting). I've got WAY too many irons in the fire, so only get to work on the trailer a couple hours a month. Can't make much progress at that rate, but I'm ALMOST done. I've been holding off on the pics lately until I can make a big reveal. I'm planning on making it to the 13th Annual Southern California Touring Tears (S.C.T.T.) Gathering in March, but no promises. I also planned to make it to the IRG last Summer and that didn't happen either.

Yes, the wife is the sticking point. I like it HOT. In my younger days I was known to go hiking out in Anza Borrego in the 110 degree summer heat (great way to lose weight by the way). My wife never caught the camping bug quite like I did, but she's game as long as she can be comfortable (the whole time). That means I go to the desert by myself. I took her to Burning Man in '02, which is now known as "the trip that must not be named".

So far I've only stopped by Plaster Blaster as a day visitor, but I want to take the TD next year for an overnight. I did a little rocketry with my older brother WAY back in the day. Haven't done a lick since, but I never lost my love of things that go woosh (and sometimes bang).

Did you have anything to do with the big X-Wing rocket? If so, you sir, are a god.
Dean_A
Gold Donating Member

Postby RogHodge » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:42 pm

I continue to comb through Craig’s list in search of a bargain on a trailer- looks like low price might mean WAY more work. So HF could be in my future.

My thought with A/C up front is avoiding a move of the axle.

What is this desert rocket madness you ask? You can check the http://www.plasterblaster.com/ website for some idea- but it is rarely updated- usually the first weekend in October if anyone is interested. Desert camping with entertainment.
A little video of what you might see if you chose to check it out.
What you thought you saw- (kind of long)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGvMVn38 ... re=related
What really happened.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyHPJi_H ... re=related
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby mk10108 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:40 pm

Dean_A wrote:Yes, the wife is the sticking point. I like it HOT. In my younger days I was known to go hiking out in Anza Borrego in the 110 degree summer heat (great way to lose weight by the way). My wife never caught the camping bug quite like I did, but she's game as long as she can be comfortable (the whole time). That means I go to the desert by myself. I took her to Burning Man in '02, which is now known as "the trip that must not be named".

:rofl:
mk10108
Gold Donating Member

Postby john » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:43 pm

Sorry to those who have seen these pics before.

I mounted my AC on the floor on a platform to avoid the mattress. It occurred to me that I could hide my venting below the AC and route the air through the platform.

Pics...

It has worked well for us here in the SEast.
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby RogHodge » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:21 am

Okay I’m back
Success on the dissertation by the way :D
I might modify the plan- On tear #1 go cheap- the CHAD- CHeap And Dirty. On trailer #2 (I say that without a spark or sawdust yet) bells and whistles.
So under $750 and under 750lbs- ambitious I know- minimal frills- one door- roof vent- profile that fits on 4x8. :? I might be back to the benroy idea
John the A/C mount looks perfect
So do you old-timers (to the forum) get sick of the newbees changing their minds more than their boxers?
:oops:
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby Dean_A » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:39 am

Changing your mind is part of the fun! If I spent as much time building as I did planning, I would have been done with my trailer years ago!
Dean_A
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:41 am

RogHodge wrote:Okay I’m back
Success on the dissertation by the way :D
I might modify the plan- On tear #1 go cheap- the CHAD- CHeap And Dirty. On trailer #2 (I say that without a spark or sawdust yet) bells and whistles.
So under $750 and under 750lbs- ambitious I know- minimal frills- one door- roof vent- profile that fits on 4x8. :? I might be back to the benroy idea
John the A/C mount looks perfect
So do you old-timers (to the forum) get sick of the newbees changing their minds more than their boxers?
:oops:

:lol: Nope just adds to the fun! :D Seems the smaller you get the more you need two doors. You don't have to put a window in one if it cuts expense's.

Image On the Dissertation.
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby john » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:23 pm

I don't know...my plans are static. I never change my mind and never deviate from my sketches.

yea ok :roll:
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby RogHodge » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:55 pm

Well it looks like I’m committed now- or should be.
:) I bought a trailer- former u-haul. I’ll post more info after I see it in the light. :lol:
So now that I have a frame I can REALLY start to plan- :thinking: and plead for help.
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs