Grasshopper and Roadtoad design!

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Which is more practical for a beginner builder, considering wiring, woodworking, etc? The Roadtoad or the Grasshopper?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:30 pm

The Grasshopper
67%
The Roadtoad
33%

Total votes : 3

Grasshopper and Roadtoad design!

Postby halexanderwilhelm » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:30 pm

:D I love the Grasshopper and Roadtoad design, and can't wait to get started with my build! Anyone have more detailed plans/profiles, and advice that I can use? Thanks!
halexanderwilhelm
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:45 pm

If you are a beginner at wiring, it makes no difference which design you build. You still have to use the same wires to make your light work.

If you are a beginner at wood working, then stick with solid 1/2" plywood walls. I found that the curved top of the benroy was actually easier to bend and seal than that simplified weekender I designed.

With the weekender the angled joints tended to seperate, and the water would seep in. With the benroy the joints were glued up solid, and tended to be water tight.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby halexanderwilhelm » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:37 am

Thanks Mike! I am trying to keep it simple, and your right; the only wiring I really wanted to use were for the trailer lights. I was thinking about using "tap lights" for the interior or maybe one of those tube led kits set to 12v source
halexanderwilhelm
Teardrop Builder

Postby bobhenry » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:32 am

As I was bored two weeks ago I disassembled a tap - a -lite and installed a small 120 volt christmas tree bulb and a 12 volt clearance light fixture into the unit. I now have a 120 volt and 12 volt plus a battery powered
tap-a-light. Yes you need to switch the 12 volt and the 120 volt but you can just tap and get a light with the batteries. It actually makes a real compact and extremely lightweight lighting fixture that looks good . I left it lit for several hours worried about the heat from the 120 volt bulb but it proved to be no problem at all. While you will not be able to read war and peace by the light is is more than adequate for most other functions in or outside of the tiny trailer.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Member Designs