New Design - Off Road Clamshell

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby grant whipp » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:23 am

That one is (was) mine, Andrew! I designed & built it in the early '90s ... camped in it several times before selling ... really a fun little rig, but I don't know where it is now. I wouldn't change much about it if I were to build another one, except the way the tent suspends from the poles (those full-length pockets were a PITA to get poles through!). It only weighed 450# fully loaded, with a 35# tongue weight ... pulled real nice. Thanks for sparking the memories ... :) ...!

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Re:

Postby Shadow98258 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:50 pm

grant whipp wrote:That one is (was) mine, Andrew! I designed & built it in the early '90s ... camped in it several times before selling ... really a fun little rig, but I don't know where it is now. I wouldn't change much about it if I were to build another one, except the way the tent suspends from the poles (those full-length pockets were a PITA to get poles through!). It only weighed 450# fully loaded, with a 35# tongue weight ... pulled real nice. Thanks for sparking the memories ... :) ...!

CHEERS!

Grant

Do you happen to have plans drawn up for that little beauty? I really like that design. :thumbsup:

Troy
Shadow98258
Teardrop Inspector

Re: New Design - Off Road Clamshell

Postby JaseS10 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:37 pm

Getting ready to start building my camper. This has a lot of possibilites.

stomperxj wrote:I got an idea after seeing another clamshell design in the hall of fame so I fired up Autocad and started playing with some profiles till I found one I liked...

Specs:
8' long
5'-5 1/2" tall when closed
5'-9 1/2" wide
65"x80" bed
plenty of storage
Pretty streamline/aerodynamic
Area for 40+ gallon fresh water tank/pump under the bed
Possible slide out stove under the front of the bed
Open sides and rear would be covered by canvas when open, then rolled up into the top to close it...

After seeing how much mine is going to weigh, I would guess full of water and gear probably in the 900lb range give or take...

Pics:

Jess
JaseS10
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Member Designs