Weekday Warrior - Complete

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Weekday Warrior - Complete

Postby oside trailer » Mon May 04, 2009 8:17 pm

I ride motocross in Southern California and needed a way to haul my bikes to the track... I also wanted it to be comfortable and offer a shady place to get away from the sun and have a cold drink -- or even to sleep in on longer trips.

Toy-Haulers were not an option, primarily because I have a relatively small tow vehicle (2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4, 4.7L V-8 ) and an even smaller driveway with a steep incline. Paying storage was out of the question, and options were limited for buying something that was compact and versatile enough for my purposes.

Thus was born the Weekday Warrior (also known as the Strike Force Camper):

The project began as a basic 6x10' utility trailer and went from there:

Unfortunately, 90% of the fabrication work went un-photographed because I didn't get a digital camera until my cell phone provider made me switch to a newer phone... I still miss that old phone, but I do wish I had more pictures of the process.

Now that the trailer is "finished" (most thought the day would never come!) it has been the source of much fun and entertainment, and manages to grab a great deal of attention wherever we go!

Image Image Image

Whether it's the race track, or the desert, or the mountains, or the beach, this 6x10' enclosed hauls all the gear, food, water and shelter you could ever need... and then some. Power will last 3 days with heavy use (girlfriend camping -- she made ice in the Maeco!) without re-charging, or up to 12 days if you're only using minimal juice (parked on the beach in Baja using just lights and fans).

The entire trailer is insulated from floor to ceiling with rigid foam to keep things warm/cool. It has two interior fans and tinted glass all around. I managed to ride all summer long in the hot So Cal sun by hiding out between motos in this camper.

The interior is also very comfortable, with a near Queen-size pull-out bed (it's just as wide but only 6' tall -- I'm 5' 9"), a television, stereo sound, PlayStation, sink with 5 gallons fresh water and plenty of storage compartments and convenience lighting all around.

Better still, it can haul up to three motorcycles and plenty of gear for race day, and still have room for tools, gas, and changing space.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with the end product. It suits every need, tows like it's not even there, and looks like something the Government dispatched to clean-up a toxic spill. :?

Many Thanks to everyone on this site who provided PICTURES, advice and guidance!

I couldn't have done it without you!

--pete
oside trailer
Teardrop Builder

Postby Slag » Mon May 04, 2009 8:31 pm

Very cool :thumbsup:

I just started a very similar build and will be hauling my track bikes with it.
Slag
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Gunswinger » Mon May 04, 2009 8:36 pm

:applause: Great build... I like it. Congrats... :thumbsup:
Gunswinger
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Mon May 04, 2009 9:50 pm

:applause: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Image Now that is a toy hauler. Do you have a coating on the ramp? Seems it will be harmed by sun, rain and use.

:thinking: Who sweeps and mops. :lol: 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

ramp coating

Postby oside trailer » Mon May 11, 2009 6:31 pm

hi miriam,

that's a good suggestion on coating the ramp, but i'm not sure what to use.

it sees a fair amount of sun and sand, not to mention foot traffic and knobby tires. i was thinking about grip tape but that is $$!

the ramp also acts as a "porch" sometimes -- a section of astro-turf suffices for that.

any other suggestions what (afforadable/durable) material to use?

btw: sweeping is performed via forced-air -- i have a compressor that runs off my truck to clean out the dirt & sand.

:D
oside trailer
Teardrop Builder

Postby caseydog » Mon May 11, 2009 7:42 pm

A Dodge Dakota with a V8 is a "small" tow vehicle? :thinking:

No, no, no -- a Mini Cooper is a "small" tow vehicle...

CD :lol:

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Re: ramp coating

Postby caseydog » Mon May 11, 2009 7:44 pm

oside trailer wrote:hi miriam,

that's a good suggestion on coating the ramp, but i'm not sure what to use.

it sees a fair amount of sun and sand, not to mention foot traffic and knobby tires. i was thinking about grip tape but that is $$!

the ramp also acts as a "porch" sometimes -- a section of astro-turf suffices for that.

any other suggestions what (afforadable/durable) material to use?

btw: sweeping is performed via forced-air -- i have a compressor that runs off my truck to clean out the dirt & sand.

:D

Use garage-floor epoxy paint, and mix in some no-skid granules.

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

it's all relative

Postby oside trailer » Mon May 11, 2009 8:42 pm

yeah... i know. a v-8 is big in this crowd. but not when it comes to towing those monster triple-axle toy haulers everyone has here in So Cal -- especially when it comes time to head over the mountains!

thanks for the suggestion on the epoxy
:thumbsup:
oside trailer
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Mon May 11, 2009 10:58 pm

:thumbsup: Yep epoxy floor paint but I would put a layer of real epoxy on first. I think it will stick better. MO though.......... and what about the UV thing?

Course if the board is cheap............... Get a couple of spares and go for it. An outdoor carpet will hold water to the wood. Something removable might work for camping. Maybe some really big floor mats. I have some stuff for garage floors that looks like rolled roofing. Don't really know what it is though.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby madjack » Mon May 11, 2009 11:05 pm

...man that is just TOO COOL ya get :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for that build...that is what it's all about...buildin' what suites your needs and that does it well...the garage floor paint as suggested is a good idea...an alternative would be one of the paint on bed liners....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Trailer chassis

Postby Prem » Mon May 18, 2009 12:19 am

Pete,

Great project you did there! Very ingenious.

Quick question: How much modification and welding did you do to the original trailer? (It looks like you gained some length in front of the axle from the utility trailer dimensions.)
:cheerswine:

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

major mods

Postby oside trailer » Fri May 22, 2009 9:31 am

prem,

the answer is there were MAJOR mods done to the trailer... in fact, in the end, it basically is a new trailer.

it needed everything to be reinforced, and lengthened. i didn't actually move the axle, but rather extended all of the framing and added a new tongue. most of the old framing needed to be cut away and i used that smaller L-bar and tubing to reinforce the larger 2" square tubing that now makes up the majority of the trailer.

if i were to build again, i'd start with a different trailer... but that's what i had at the time, and re-claimed steel is cheaper than a new Red Trailer.

btw: my original plan was to have a "box" that would slide in and out of the utility trailer, but those plans were quickly abandoned when i realized how much heavier it would be.
oside trailer
Teardrop Builder

Re: Weekday Warrior

Postby Prem » Mon May 25, 2009 4:47 pm

if i were to build again, i'd start with a different trailer... but that's what i had at the time, and re-claimed steel is cheaper than a new Red Trailer.

Pete,

Cool. Good for you.

I am totally into the reuse of materials too...especially since they cost half or less of new. A local supplier has used or reclaimed steel in all configurations for 40 cents on the dollar compared to the new they sell. That's what I buy. (Even rebar for my concrete walkway project.)

How come you don't just glue the astro turf down to the plywood ramp door with outdoor carpet glue?

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

been out fer a while

Postby oside trailer » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:09 pm

hey prem,

sorry -- got hurt and was MIA for a while...

one problem with astro: it traps sand. then when you fold up the ramp, guess where it all goes?

that's the one problem with this design -- that back door acts like a shovel if you're not careful.

got some big industrial rugs with the rubber mat bottoms from a place that's going out of business. think i'll give those a try for now.

--pete
oside trailer
Teardrop Builder

Postby bve » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:12 am

Pete, sorry to hear about the injury I hope you are OK.

I have to agree with MadJack I think you have really done a great job of building what suits you.

If you have more of the floor tile you used inside the trailer that would probably help the ramp, while it probably wouldn't have the life of epoxy it would still extend the life.

I think you have a good concept with the ramp and inner doors for those looking for a standy, the ramp could act as a porch or if split halfway horizontally a roof and porch.

What is the white material you skinned it with?

Anyway nice build. :thumbsup:

Burke
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Next

Return to Member Designs