Low Profile Trailer

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Low Profile Trailer

Postby fornesto » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:59 pm

The idea is simple. A 2'x4'x8' trailer with a hard top perfect for a bike rack. The box opens up, as does the back galley. This is all square sides and should be very easy to build.
fornesto
Donating Member

Postby Laredo » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:00 pm

got a bit of an A-liner look going on there.

I like it.

How many sheets of plywood for one of these, as compared to the number of sheets for a weekender?
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:08 pm

In the rain, the water will leak into the sides... you might want to fashion something to keep the rain out...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby fornesto » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:51 pm

mikeschn wrote:In the rain, the water will leak into the sides... you might want to fashion something to keep the rain out...

Mike...

It would probably have a big flashing overhang on the sides. That, and the top would sit atop the sides, not within them. Here's another version that goes straight up, perhaps with a 12V lift/jack system. Sides could be light weight wood or canvas. The interior "box" could stay assembled and descend around the mattress.

fornesto
Donating Member

Postby mk10108 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:17 pm

Check out this method of raising a pop up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZrr53t4Eis
mk10108
Gold Donating Member

Postby devigata » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:31 am

mk10108 wrote:Check out this method of raising a pop up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZrr53t4Eis

I like that couch/bed mechanism!
devigata
Donating Member

Postby Laredo » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:04 pm

Mike, I'm no engineer, so I'll just ask this straightforwardly.

If you built this so that the upper box was bigger than the lower box (that is, so that the roof had an overhang effect and the sides of the roof were to the exterior of the sides of the box below) would that obviate the leakage?
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Elumia » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:03 am

if the upper box goes into the lower box you have to worry about water running in that joint. The other way around, water can't get it.

Mark
Elumia
500 Club

Postby Alan Wood » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:11 am

Elumia wrote:if the upper box goes into the lower box you have to worry about water running in that joint. The other way around, water can't get it.

Mark

You seem to be forgetting that water will be sprayed up by tires of both the tow vehicle and the trailer here.
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Elumia » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:35 pm

that may be the case, but when the top box is down, that spray has to travel up 2' or more. plus that is much easier to seal against. The other way around, water will sit in the joint and will always find the smallest leak in any seal you make.

[/quote]You seem to be forgetting that water will be sprayed up by tires of both the tow vehicle and the trailer here.[quote][/quote]
Elumia
500 Club

Postby fornesto » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:54 am

In trying to keep the second design lightweight, I would build it with a good overhang of 4-6" that angles downward - think L-flashing. This with a dust seal should keep water out of the inside.

By making the upper box the outer box, the whole weight thing becomes an issue. Either the bottom box becomes lightweight/open or the whole thing just gets real heavy. I like the idea of a solid bottom box with a lightweight/canvas upper section, ala VW Vanagon pop-top.
fornesto
Donating Member

Postby Laredo » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:26 pm

Fornesto,
What if you cut out the upper panels in the manner Mike suggested for the improved Weekender, and used smoked plexiglas in the voids? You'd need velcro curtains for privacy on the insides and front; but I'd think that would help with the weight issue.
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby jimqpublic » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:37 pm

If you're doing folding walls then take a look at the aluminum edging that Aliner and Chalet use. No leaks from rain- though a hose aimed up will let plenty of water in.

For a box over a box design look at Hi-Lo trailers. When down the outer box edge contacts weather striping on the inner box.

Consider getting a beat up hard-top tent trailer with crank-up lift system as a donor. Late model ones are designed to handle the weight of the roof plus 100 pounds of air conditioner so they would do fine with a couple bikes or a canoe on the roof.
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Return to Member Designs