Ok, I think I have my design.

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby doug hodder » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:30 pm

I'm busy laying out my profile on a standy also. Tough to fit it all in and make something that will roll in the garage, you've got a lot of design ideas I like. Just a thought, have you considered easing the hard break on the front radius where it turns flat to sort of match the rear? None of my business, just my opinion. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: Ok, I think I have my design.

Postby EffieRover » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:13 pm

NightCap wrote:
EffieRover wrote:
NightCap wrote:Now I have to tear apart my tent trailer. I have my work cut out for me. Oh, and thanks to those who chipped in their 2 cents worth to help me get to my finished design.

Cool. I like the graphics. Tearing up a popup to get there? Me too. Maybe we can race ... it will keep me motivated :)

Ok, the race is on. The winner gets to camp in it first. :D

:thumbsup: :lol:
Loy, happy wife to Dan, proud momma to Kiera & Alannah.
http://66shasta.blogspot.com/
EffieRover
Teardrop Master

Postby NightCap » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:31 am

doug hodder wrote:I'm busy laying out my profile on a standy also. Tough to fit it all in and make something that will roll in the garage, you've got a lot of design ideas I like. Just a thought, have you considered easing the hard break on the front radius where it turns flat to sort of match the rear? None of my business, just my opinion. Doug

I torchered over that idea. So in your opinion you like the same curve front and back? I was not sure what was more aesthetically pleasing. What are you doing on yours? I'll check your album to see if you have some pics.
#1 - 100% Done #2 - 100% Done Thinking about #3
NightCap
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby NightCap » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:34 am

pete.wilson wrote:Hey

Nice layout and I really like the paint scheme. :thumbsup:

Pete Wilson

Thanks Pete! :D
NightCap
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:01 am

Sorry, I don't have any pics up yet....still on paper and I'm scratching around. I was suggesting that you just smooth the last bump, not do any serious radius changing. Just make 'em flow together. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby NightCap » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:46 am

doug hodder wrote:Sorry, I don't have any pics up yet....still on paper and I'm scratching around. I was suggesting that you just smooth the last bump, not do any serious radius changing. Just make 'em flow together. Doug

Oh, ok. I gotcha. I was planning on doing that. My Visio skills are not quite perfect. It takes some adding points and tweeking.. I'll try again and see what happens.
NightCap
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:00 am

doug hodder wrote:I'm busy laying out my profile on a standy also. Tough to fit it all in and make something that will roll in the garage, you've got a lot of design ideas I like. Just a thought, have you considered easing the hard break on the front radius where it turns flat to sort of match the rear? None of my business, just my opinion. Doug

There are a lot of challenges doing a standy, expecially fitting one into the garage, packaging everything in, and still not being too much wider than the tow vehicle.

I've got two thread going, that have gone quiet, because we haven't stumbled on the right answers yet... the standy thread, and the puffin standy thread.

Maybe you and Rich have the answers we've been looking for?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:02 am

NightCap wrote:
doug hodder wrote:Sorry, I don't have any pics up yet....still on paper and I'm scratching around. I was suggesting that you just smooth the last bump, not do any serious radius changing. Just make 'em flow together. Doug

Oh, ok. I gotcha. I was planning on doing that. My Visio skills are not quite perfect. It takes some adding points and tweeking.. I'll try again and see what happens.

CAD is better than Visio... the cardboard aided design version!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby NightCap » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:34 am

mikeschn wrote:
NightCap wrote:

CAD is better than Visio... the cardboard aided design version!!

Mike...

cardboard aided design 1/4 scale?
NightCap
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby NightCap » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:16 pm

I smoothed it out a bit....is this what you were talking about?

NightCap
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:45 pm

NightCap wrote:
cardboard aided design 1/4 scale?

Sure, go for it...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby NightCap » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:59 pm

I worked up a first draft of my wall framing.

NightCap
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:25 pm

NightCap wrote:I smoothed it out a bit....is this what you were talking about?

Yup...that's what I was thinking of.

Mike...I'm having to deal with a lower garage door opening, might end up with having to lower the pressure on the tires to get it in and out, or build it on a jig with casters, I can modify the boat cradle to do it. I'll probably have to bag the idea of a Fantastic fan as I won't have clearance for it and don't want to lose any height in the overall build. Looking for a side type vent/ fan maybe, and also, I'm like 6'2" so it will more than likely be a "stoopy" for me. Gotta have a dropped floor for sure. Just need to tweek the profile to get what I want. I'm totally ignorant on any of the design programs so do it all in pencil cad. Get the profile I want, then figure the rest out as I go. I'm thinking....lots of windows, and need to locate the correct vintage gas stove to go with a late 30's type thing. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby NightCap » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:22 pm

doug hodder wrote:
NightCap wrote:I smoothed it out a bit....is this what you were talking about?

Yup...that's what I was thinking of.

Mike...I'm having to deal with a lower garage door opening, might end up with having to lower the pressure on the tires to get it in and out, or build it on a jig with casters, I can modify the boat cradle to do it. I'll probably have to bag the idea of a Fantastic fan as I won't have clearance for it and don't want to lose any height in the overall build. Looking for a side type vent/ fan maybe, and also, I'm like 6'2" so it will more than likely be a "stoopy" for me. Gotta have a dropped floor for sure. Just need to tweek the profile to get what I want. I'm totally ignorant on any of the design programs so do it all in pencil cad. Get the profile I want, then figure the rest out as I go. I'm thinking....lots of windows, and need to locate the correct vintage gas stove to go with a late 30's type thing. Doug

Hey Doug, I Invented a gizmo something like a skateboard that you can mount in the leaf spring brackets so you can lower your frame to the ground and still pull it. or move it anyhow. I call it "The Skater ©" I think I could even get my full height trailer in and out of the garage.

NightCap
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:48 pm

Slick idea...that's kinda what I'm thinking. With casters, I can rotate the whole thing in the garage. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs