Shasta rebuild - 12' tear

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Shasta rebuild - 12' tear

Postby karch67 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:08 pm

Started my new build about month ago after discovering lots of rot after cleaning up the trailer after the winter. I purchased a '70 Shasta Compact a few years ago to tow behind my Element and it worked out great for a couple of summers conseidering I only paid $350 for it. However my plan all along was to use it for parts for my own design and after discovering mouse nests in the oven and severe rot in the walls I decided now was the time to rebuild.

I tore the Shasta down to the frame which was in good shape with just some surface rust and started building a standie teardrop trailer. I tried to incorporate the things I liked about the Shasta - large dinette, fold up bunk, windows, lightweight; and I discarded the things I wasn't so fond of - ugly profile, not enough headroom, inside kitchen.

What I ended up with was a scaled up teardrop with 6'3" headroom, queen size dinette, fold up bunk, and another bench/bed, and a full 6-1/2' rear galley with icebox, sink, and stove. Other items I designed in were storage for my Weber Q, 16 gallon water tank, 3 x 12V batteries, gas heat (from Shasta) and AC. I also enlarged the door so I could fit through without stooping and plan to cover the entire trailer in aluminum.

My construction is similar to the Puffin in that I am using 1/4" plywood, except that I am using birch since I will be finishing the inside with clear poly. All framing for the windows and doors is maple and I am using the benches and and rear cabinets in the hatch to reinforce and brace the walls. The roof spars are 1x2's and I plan to skin them inside and out with aluminum and run wiring and insulation between similar to what Retro Traveler does: http://www.retrotraveler.com/RT1400.html.

One I get the pictures off my camera I will post the build photos, currently I am building the body off the frame in my garage (so it will fit through the door) and will mount it on the frame once it is weather tight.
karch67
Teardrop Builder

Postby Prem » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:53 pm

:designing:
Very cool! I have nearly the same thing going on a 1956 Shasta chassis.

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Finished trailer

Postby karch67 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:52 pm

Been so busy finishing the trailer and with life that I never updated the build. Successfully went on a couple trips to Cape Cod and the Baseball HOF last summer in the rebuilt trailer - have a few little items left to finish, but am very happy with how it came out.
karch67
Teardrop Builder

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:15 pm

karch67 wrote:
...am very happy with how it came out.

And well you should be. It turned out good! :applause: Congratulations on your build and thanks for sharing the pictures with us. We like lots of pictures. If you get a minute, maybe you can upload a few pictures of how the inside turned out?

Thanks again!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby StPatron » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:57 pm

Very nice!

I got a dead link when trying to go to "retrotraveler", do you have another?

Thanks for the info and pics.
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby ATXKJ » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:36 am

Google found trailerworks retro traveler

don't know if they changed the business or just the web
http://www.trailerworks.biz/1200.html
David
ATXKJ
Teardrop Advisor

Postby StPatron » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:49 pm

Duh,,,, thx!
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:31 pm

:thumbsup: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Wow! Very nice big TD. Do you have pictures of the inside?

You did a wonderful job! :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby karch67 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:47 pm

I'll work on getting some interior photos, here is a shot with my tow vehicle (Element SC):

karch67
Teardrop Builder

Return to Member Designs