Hardside Expando Standy (again...)

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Hardside Expando Standy (again...)

Postby navigator » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:08 am

The quest for a compact-yet-roomy, hardside trailer continues in this creation, which combines the slideout bed I created last year, and the Winter-Warriorish lifting roof. Keep in mind I am aiming for a 12' length (including tongue), generous ground clearance via 15" wheels, and plenty of headroom; in this case 6'-6".

Here's what I have so far:

Been camping in a Jayco 806 tent trailer, which is far better than tenting, but as yet I have not had to put it down in the rain. It is modified to have a queen futon length-wise, which has worked out pretty well. But the idea of something that is quick to set up and take down, and not a problem in wet weather, is very appealing.

The dream lives on...
navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby starleen2 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:46 am

Getting that Door to hinge in an off set might be a little tricky - but looks like something thats doable
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:59 am

I like it! It looks complex; but, anything can be made simple with proper instructions and good drawings. It'll be fun to see this idea develop!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bve » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:25 am

Getting the top and bottom half of the door to swing together looks like it will create an engineering problem with them being on different vertical planes, otherwise I like what I see.
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby Elumia » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:47 am

Seems tippy even with leveler jacks at the rearmost point of the trailer.

Mark
Elumia
500 Club

Postby Jusso » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:20 am

Great idea! You can’t have enough room!
With the door why not have a dropped down step and not even worry about the roof being part of the door (not the best description but the pics might help).
I’ve got a just under a 5 foot door with this setup.
Something to think about anyway.
Jusso
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:01 pm

The door is do able check out the Trailmanor's they have a off set door system. You will have to find a dealer and look at them in person because there literature doesn't show door detail.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby bgordon » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:12 am

Leonard,

Here you go on info about the door.

By the way, I think your folding trailer concept is excellent.
Barrie

Keep moving forward.
Psalm 1:1-3.

Build Journal: bgordon's 5 week cardboard & fiberglass build
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=38781
bgordon
Teardrop Master

Postby navigator » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:37 pm

Have not drawn anymore on this concept, but thanks for the comments. It does look tippy, would need some good stabilizers, maybe even on the slide-out. I had not gotten to the detail on the door, but the Trail Manor system would do the job, and keep the door operating as one piece; the Alaskan campers operate separately (top then bottom), and other telescoping trailers I have seen have the top open out and the bottom in. Yuck!

Barrie, thanks for the diagram, that is very helpful. I also found a video demonstrating how to set up a Trail Manor, the door sections are at 2:30 and 7:20.
http://home.comcast.net/~lfn3/Video/TrailmanorSetup.wmv
navigator
Teardrop Master

Door swing

Postby pigcooker » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:12 pm

I had a 1964 HI LO the top door section swung out, the lower section swung in, a bit odd at first but it is easy to do. Just another $0.02 worth.
You had access to the inside without raising the roof. Good luck. :thumbsup: Doug
pigcooker
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby navigator » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:01 am

Doug, I can see how that would be very convenient, but it seems that opening two doors, in opposite directions, would get annoying. The tent trailer I use now has a lower door with the knob in the middle (not the center!), and the upper door sets on top of it when the top is up; the knob is still 12" off the floor, very bad placement! Coleman has a better idea, with a one-piece door that stands in place after the main body door drops down to become a (needed) step. Kind of like the Kampmaster door.

Just back from a four day outing, with one day of very heavy rain/hail, greatly reinforcing the desire for something that's quick and easy to set up and take down. At least the tent trailer stayed dry inside, unlike the neighboring tents! Still plotting...
navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby bve » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:37 am

navigator wrote:Coleman has a better idea, with a one-piece door that stands in place after the main body door drops down to become a (needed) step. Kind of like the Kampmaster door.

I can see where a one piece door simplifies it. Since the lower half of the door (the 'travel door') could move up to 90* to give you the step, the side trim for the lower seal could be part of that assembly. If the travel door is slightly wider (1" or less) then the full door, when dropped to create the step could also create the bottom half of the door frame & trim which will need to be offset from the bottom wall for the one piece door to work.
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Return to Member Designs