The Nomad....w/ some color samples

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

The Nomad....w/ some color samples

Postby doug hodder » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:49 am

Here's where I am with my design. It is heavily influenced by the Scotty an early 60's look, but no dimensions were taken on any of the curves and I cooked up the profile. It will have plenty of windows in it. I'm not claustrophobic, but like a lot of light and don't like sitting in a dark box. Each side will have 2 windows in it, 2 12 x 18's in the rear and the rest will be 15 x 24's, all crank out, except the door. The window ahead of the door is actually the window for the driver side, I may install 1 on the door side ahead of the door, just haven't decided on that yet. I just draw it up this way as it saves me from doing another figure.

I've sketched out the floor plan and what I want to do will fit in, I'll work it out as I go. For me, I need to get the "look" I want and the rest will fall into place. Aqua boomerang formica for the countertop and the table, possibly on the galley door fronts as well, Teal marmoleum or similar Armstrong product for the flooring, and will have a Marti striped awning. 3" break on the side aluminum, smooth roof. Working on coming up with the appropriate fabrics for curtains etc...

May not be everyones ideal trailer, but I think it's an attractive design and will appeal to a large number of potential buyers. Doug

Last edited by doug hodder on Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby madjack » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:56 am

:thumbsup: ...pretty darn cool Doug...question...are you gonna keep the extreme swoops on the bottom(especially on the rear) or will they be flattened some...also did you come up with a solution to your fan dilemma......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby tonyj » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:28 am

FINALLY! A peek at the new project. Love it, just love it. and my brother-in-law is going to love it, too.

How about waves on the graphics to mimic the rolling wave at the bottom?

Looking forward to seeing this built.

:thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:09 pm

Plan is to leave those Jack....that's kinda what I like about the profile, not a flat bottomed thing. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Juneaudave » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:19 pm

Whoo Hoooo!!!!! I think ya got the "look"! Can't wait to see the build in progress!!!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:41 pm

Looking good Doug,

I really like the way the front windows overlap the door. Will the window be hinged, or will the door open up around the window?

Just kidding.

Hey, maybe a huge sunroof to keep it nice and light in there.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby rainjer » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:08 pm

Very cool Doug. Do you have the interior layout yet? What are the over all dimensions? How may will it sleep?

I really like the side profile. it loks like most of the bottom curve is below the frame rails. Are you going to put a drop floor in it?

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby doug hodder » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:12 pm

It'll sleep 3, dropped floor flat to the door entrance, it ends just ahead of the wheel centers. Dinette up front, galley in the middle and bed in the back....again real Scottiesque. I should be OK on ground clearance, there are lots of people with lower rides than this and I baby stuff anyway...I don't do off road at all, and am careful to hit curbs, etc...at an angle so as to not tear anything out from underneath. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:14 pm

It looks great! :thumbsup: ...Can't wait to see this one; but, I guess I gotta. The master teardrop artist is just starting his newest creation...back at work!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby rebapuck » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:23 pm

I really like it. I agree with tonyj that the graphics should reflect the bottom edge, which is so cool.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby scott and becky » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:32 pm

I Like your design Doug!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Will we get to see it at IRG 3.0?

Scott
I never get lost..there's just some times I don't know where I'm at!

scott and becky
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:17 pm

Very nice design Doug, I like it :applause: . It's about time you revved up the forum with a exciting new build to watch. :thumbsup: The graphics seem a little harsh compared to the smooth flowing lines you've drawn. Maybe you'll make some adjustments along the way. It's been a hot boring summer, Doug to the rescue. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby jdarkoregon » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:25 am

Doug, looks very comfy. I'm excited to see you go at it!!!

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:42 am

Thanks everyone! On the graphics, they may change, I took the easy way out on this design as the siding will have 3" breaks in it and will be perfect lines to lay something out on. Trying to lay out a sweeping arc in tape to paint is a challenge for me to make it look right, let alone 2 matching sides.

What I won't do is any of the current type swoops that are seen on the newer RV's, ya can't swing a cat without hitting one of those, that's me though....That's just right out! I've got a bunch of profile blanks made so that I can play with the graphics. Thinking of a wide V that was typical on trailers of this vintage for the rear. The goal here is to make it appear to be 50 years old.

Need to get my Boomerang formica sample, but it should work with the lighter teal color in this fabric. If not, I gotta start over since that's the lowest common denominator in the color scheme, not much choice there. The fabric is for the curtains, pillow cases, etc...the other sample is Marmoleum...the original linoleum, nice, thick commercial grade, won't tear like a vinyl. Exterior paint will be a teal, maybe metallic, as I've found a great one! Colors/ fabrics can change however, just a starting point. Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Juneaudave » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:12 am

Sweet!!!! It's that attention to the details and eye for the "look" that make your trailers so special! It's going to be fun seeing the Nomad come together.
:applause: :applause: :applause:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Member Designs