My Design Idea Is Still Alive

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

My Design Idea Is Still Alive

Postby Davedbq » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:08 pm

Hello Everyone,
I have not posted anything for some time so I thought I would now. A couple years ago (I can't believe it's been that long). I posted some computer images of a teardrop trailer I designed and still plan on building. In this last couple of years I acquired the skills needed to build my teardrop and have retired from my day job/career as a designer. (Things are really looking up!). I designed and built a custom composite trailer for my motorcycle. This is the process that I needed to know to start building my teardrop design. Here are some photos of my trailer for my motorcycle and a fiberglass model I built of the new teardrop design. The cycle trailer was constructed using the same process of building a composite aircraft. A really simple process really. Anyway I thought I would pass on the photos to let you know that my design is still alive and progressing. Now I just need a place to build the real thing. The teardrop in full scale would be 6 feet high, 6 feet wide and the body would be 11 feet long. The interior sleeping compartment would have over 20 cubic feet of storage and the ability to have a queen sized bed. Let me know what you think of my efforts so far. I will continue to refine the design and track down a place to start construction just as soon as possible. Thanks, Dave
Davedbq
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jdarkoregon » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:36 pm

Big tear you have there, 6 foot tall, is that ground to roof?

I'd think twice about putting the axle there, it looks like it should be put back more,

Build it lite,

John

Good to have you back
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:41 am

Cardboard guy appears just under 6 foot and he is standing on terra firma so it must be 6' from the ground to the top.

Gotta agree though move the axle back or you will have an interstate dancer like I have right now with "Chubby" Best guess 4'6" from rear if you are still at 11' overall. I am sure others will have opinions as well. I have always used the 60 ~ 40 rule 60% of body length in front of axle and 40% behind. I am beginning to think that 65 - 35 would be even better. My new barn trailer tows at 80 mph better than 50 mph and wheels are drastically aft.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Douglas Knudson » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:12 pm

I think it is a great idea! Keep posting progress. :thumbsup:
2017 Jeep Sahara
2020 Homebuilt Foamie
Douglas Knudson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:43 pm

Dave,

Like the looks of your motor cycle trailer.

In your album, the axle looks like it is in a different spot than the model ?

The 3D model axle spacing looks to be OK.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby PaPa Smurf » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:28 pm

Keep them pictices coming..I have a 4 x 8 I used of my bike , but I'm thinking about something like [email protected]
James 4:14......
You know it’s time to clean the refrigerator when something closes the door from the inside.
PaPa Smurf
Teardrop Master

Return to Member Designs