Starting My Dub-Drop Design

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Starting My Dub-Drop Design

Postby carpedubn » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:00 pm

Well, I have started to design my teardrop to be towed by my VW Super Beetle, the "Dub-Drop". The plans are started, but only the perspective is complete, unless I change my mind on something. And that will probably happen as I go along, as I tweak the design. As a graphic designer and having done quite a lot of architectural renderings in the last 40 years, I am trying not to overdoo the planning. How'm I doin'? I am thinking of a "woody" style of trailer and doing the same to my bug as I restore her. I am thinking of an orangy-copper paint color with maybe a teak woody paneling. Anyway, let me know what you think of the Dub-Drop. ;)

----------------------------------------
Rod in Asheville, NC
CarpeDubn (Seize the V-Dub)
carpedubn
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:22 pm

Rod,

I like it... but make the doors higher. You don't want to hit your head on the top of the door opening when you climb in...

Mike...

P.S. You need to add a VW decal on the side... just for grins and giggles!
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby carpedubn » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:27 pm

Thanks, Mike. I'll make sure to add as much height as I can to the top of the door. To keep weight down, I am thinking of only having one door. I know it isn't very visible, but there is a "VOLKSWAGEN" lettering badge on the rear door. Maybe I can also add a VW Circle Logo, too. I want to make the trailer match the Super Beetle, which will help, I think. Thanks for the input......Rod
Rod in Asheville, NC
carpedubn
Teardrop Inspector

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:18 pm

Rod, very nice rendering. It would be a mistake to only have one door. If weight is you only concern use Grantsaluminum hinges and eliminate at least the two stabilizers in front and you'll come close to even. We've only used a rear one to level it out one time. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby carpedubn » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:29 pm

Okay, I have adjusted the original drawing to enlarge the door on the top edge and also mistakenly deleted the original drawing :?, so I am reposting the new drawing here that shows the new door and an addition of a VW Circle Logo and highlighted the "VOLKSWAGEN" script on the rear galley door. Thanks y'all for your comments and since I haven't started building her yet, I will use all your comments so to have an experienced design. I'd like to iron out all the bugs (no pun intended) before I start cutting out wood. Thanks for looking.....Rod

Rod in Asheville, NC
carpedubn
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rebapuck » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:39 pm

Find some Bug tail lights and license plate light.

Looks good.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby jayare » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:35 pm

If you have the wheels outside the frame/body, you could use some beetle rear fenders (slimmed down in width) for the mudguards - that would really tie in the bug theme!

JR
jayare
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ageless » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:53 pm

How about the trim on the front? The 'V' like is on the VW Micro-bus
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:02 pm

Good profile! ...Nice Drawing. A coppery color will be different and help set you apart; plus, it should look pretty. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby asianflava » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:55 pm

With the name Dubdrop, I was thinking about a tear sitting on a set os 20in wheels.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Elumia » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:33 pm

sitting on 20's... pulled by an old cutlass with 24's that looks like a monster truck! :lol:
Elumia
500 Club

Postby ai4kk » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:52 pm

With 4,000 watts of raw bass power
Gene
ai4kk
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Member Designs