A DEDICATED CHUCKWAGON TRAILER

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

A DEDICATED CHUCKWAGON TRAILER

Postby bobhenry » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:49 am

A few of us were brainstorming about a seperate dedicated mobile kitchen.

There are several occasions ol' what's her name and I take out the teardrop simply for a mobile bedroom and do not need the galley function. By seprating the galley feature from our teardrop I would be able to make a smaller lighter teardrop for sleepovers and simply couple up with the mobile kitchen for longer stays and cooking fests. Having owned a mobile catering business in the past I occasionally get requests to cook for family get togethers. With this set up I would even have the option of just taking my kitchen for the day outings. We are able to pull tandum trailers here in Indiana so it would be a bit curious going down the road but this just might be a great answer to where do I put all the cooking junk.

Looking for thoughts and input as to what was forgotten or places to improve on this idea.

So start :thinking:

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby TD Beej » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:21 pm

Hello Bob,

I've actually considered this idea instead of a full TD but I am still favoring a TD but my galley is being sized for six+.

In your drawing two thing jump out at me. First the spice rack appears attached to hatch closing the hatch may be a problem. The Other is the high placement of the water, this will push the center of gravity way up possibly causing issues with tipping in turns and loading/unloading of tongue weight. I would like to find a foot pump for the my sink, another non-motorized pump option would be to use a pressurized water tank.

Oh, a third thing, by having the hatches on front you will be requiring a lot more walking to get things as opposed to just have those open on the sides. If you want to join me in lunacy you could even do something that opens up so that everything is accessesed from a central point. B^)

Beej

TD Beej
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:27 pm

Ever been on a ferris wheel ?

Water weight is a good point but were talking about 40 - 50 # and 100% reliability without pumps or air pressure but we could move them to "The basement"

I did fail to edit the picture I stole off of the net the nose would be solid with side doors that will open forward,

P.S. I do like you flip out kitchen design !

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: A DEDICATED CHUCKWAGON TRAILER

Postby Mark & Andrea Jones » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:06 pm

bobhenry wrote:A few of us were brainstorming about a seperate dedicated mobile kitchen.

There are several occasions ol' what's her name and I take out the teardrop simply for a mobile bedroom and do not need the galley function. By seprating the galley feature from our teardrop I would be able to make a smaller lighter teardrop for sleepovers and simply couple up with the mobile kitchen for longer stays and cooking fests. Having owned a mobile catering business in the past I occasionally get requests to cook for family get togethers. With this set up I would even have the option of just taking my kitchen for the day outings. We are able to pull tandum trailers here in Indiana so it would be a bit curious going down the road but this just might be a great answer to where do I put all the cooking junk.

Looking for thoughts and input as to what was forgotten or places to improve on this idea.

So start :thinking:

By the way, I like the idea of splitting the two trailers. I have on occasion wanted to have more kitchen stuff than what would fit in the galley of the TD. This would be an answer for a serious camper and a serious food preparer, but not wanting to bring it all every time.

OK. Here is my thought. Design the TD and gear/galley trailers so that they could be "clipped" or fastened together (when you are camping with both) or separated and used separately.

I have no sketches with this, but here it is. Maybe Andrew could come up with something??? :thinking:

First, have the semi-traditional TD/TTT pulled by TV. This would have traditional hitch, etc. THEN, add a second, smaller gear trailer using a mechanism like this. The Cruiser Lift system with a single swivel wheel on the rear. This could be accomodated by simply adding another receiver to the back of the TD/TTT and having someone build you a mechanism that would go on the front of the gear trailer to allow you to connect it to the receiver. Of course, you could always BUY their trailer, as an additional and add a galley box on top of it. There aren't any good close-up pics of this system (don't want to make it easy on you), but it wouldn't be TOO hard for a good mechanic / welder to figure something out that would work and then to find a swivel wheel. It may even be possible to buy just the swivel wheel mechanism from the company. Then, all you would have to do is to wire both for lights and away you would go. You could hook the gear trailer up to a traditional hitch and use just it, or take just the TD/TTT or take both of them.

I'm going to try to post a pic off of their website.

You would have to put a a swivel wheel on the back of the gear/galley trailer, because the tires would scrub as you go around turns and cause too much wear & tear. This wouldn't be an easy one and would require some serious thought, but it is doable.

What do you think?

AJ
Last edited by Mark & Andrea Jones on Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quality Water Treatment Solutions in the New River Valley! www.clearcreekwaterworks.com
Mark & Andrea Jones
The 300 Club

Postby Mark & Andrea Jones » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:18 pm

Re: paper towel idea. My suggestion is to forget about hanging the paper towels. Install a simple bar that you can hang a couple of cotton hand towels and use them for dishwashing, etc. This also gives them a place to air-dry when not in use. The plastic paper towel dispensers that fold up also fold down unexpectedly and you end up having to replace them when you break them while closing the hatch.

If you HAVE to have paper towels (they do have their place), buy the single rolls of them and simply remove the cardboard core while leaving the plastic surrounding the roll. Then, start pulling the paper towels out of the roll from the center, instead of unrolling them from the outside. It keeps them cleaner AND you can squash them nearly flat into a box or something.

AJ
Quality Water Treatment Solutions in the New River Valley! www.clearcreekwaterworks.com
Mark & Andrea Jones
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:52 pm

I tried draining the bacon on one of her cotton towels. If you want to see the knot on my head you will have to go thru my album !

Who said plastic I am a 3rd generation carpenter we like wood just leave room when closed for the fixture.

Please keep the ideas coming I am ready to install 2 recievers to "Dock" the single wheel trailer into the frame rails of the "bedroom teardrop" Andrea my friend that is absolutely brilliant :D

And now there is no arguement it's one trailer and needing 1 license plate :thumbsup:

Last edited by bobhenry on Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:17 pm

Bob,

You might want to give a little thought to a different approach before you start building.

Rather than build two separate trailers, why not build one long one.

But the long one could have a seam about 2/3 of the way back.

The front 2/3 would be the sleeping area.

The rear 1/3 would be the kitchen.

They could be joined together by some big honkin bolts...

And if you just want to take the kitchen, take the big honkin bolts out, and leave the sleeping area at home.

Oh yea, you have to drink a beer or two or 10 with me to be able to see this...

Mike...

P.S. I'm on number 9 right now...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bobhenry » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:45 am

mikeschn wrote:Bob,

Mike...

P.S. I'm on number 9 right now...

BUT you got a 3 year head start !

I am ready to start #4 on a frame similar to this

now I am thinking about this Image

and the kitchen for my retro 4x8 would be #5

" STOP THE INSANITY "
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Mark & Andrea Jones » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:22 am

bobhenry wrote:I tried draining the bacon on one of her cotton towels. If you want to see the knot on my head you will have to go thru my album !

Now, wait a minute! I did say that paper towels have their place!

bobhenry wrote:Please keep the ideas coming I am ready to install 2 recievers to "Dock" the single wheel trailer into the frame rails of the "bedroom teardrop" Mark my friend that is absolutely brilliant :D

OK, I'll forgive you for not noticing that it was MY initials at the bottom of the message. Mark has some great ideas, too. :lol: :lol:

bobhenry wrote:And now there is no arguement it's one trailer and needing 1 license plate :thumbsup:

Hadn't taken the thought that far, but if you construct it right, all you'd have to "explain" to an inspector is that the trailer has three wheels. :lol: :lol: Just resist the urge to show it off to the inspector! Of course, you'll need the appropriate supports so that you can have the chuckwagon part be a stand-alone, if needed. Who knows? Someone may need to make that last minute run to the grocery store for that missing item in your TV. Oh, but that's right. Proper planning will avoid all of that. :D

AJ

Edit: I just thought of something. A design like this will change the tongue weight - and maybe even dramatically. I would definitely run this design by Andrew's expert eyes for wheel placement.

AJ
Mark & Andrea Jones
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:41 am

Andrea my apologies I even fixed my original statement.

I really do like the idea. My grandfather had a 1 wheel trailer for his tool toater and pulled it a million miles. I gotta see if I can find one.

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Mark & Andrea Jones » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:58 am

bobhenry wrote:Andrea my apologies I even fixed my original statement.

I really do like the idea. My grandfather had a 1 wheel trailer for his tool toater and pulled it a million miles. I gotta see if I can find one.

No apologies necessary.

I can't wait to see your final design. Two receivers on one of the trailers would work (I would suggest putting them on the sleeping trailer - more flexibility for building an attachment to carry bikes or something like that). Then have the male parts on the chuckwagon trailer and have a welder build a mechanism that would in effect be the tongue of the chuckwagon trailer. With appropriately strong connections (not real sure what would be best), this could work. If you placed a bracket on the "front" of the chuckwagon trailer, you could use that to store the tongue while the chuckwagon trailer is attached to the sleeping trailer, to give you flexibility on the road, too.

Hopefully, Andrew will see this posting and will pipe in soon.

AJ.
Mark & Andrea Jones
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:37 am

The one grandad had had 2 big swoopy arms that swept upward and ended in a heavy eye running horizontal. The arms inserted into two u shaped bracket that were mounted on the bumper ( back when bumpers were bumpers) This little picture top right was what I had in mind.
Simply slip a tee shaped towbar into the reciever. The arms will extend 2 - 2 1/2 feet to each side and the bracket mounted to this very modified "ball mount" Each arm will dock into the brackets on the arm where they will be securely fastened.
It would be best to modify an adjustable height ball mount to make this unit then it could be used on multiple vehicles simply by correcting the ride height for that particular vehicle.

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:43 am

What do ya think ????

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby PanelDeland » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:24 pm

On the single wheel trailers http://www.singlewheel.com/

And as far a a Galley without the rest of the tear:I have a design idea for that slightly different from what's posted but maybe worth a thought.If you built your galley as a slide out unit where it would fit in the back of the tear with the hatch attached to the galley.Make it 18 or so in deep and when you just needed the galley use a cargo hauler and mount the slide out galley on it.You would need to do a bit of waterproofing and sealing work to get it to stay dry but you would only need one trailer and one set of axles etc.
"I know the voices in my head aren't real,but they have some really good Ideas!"
PanelDeland
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:35 am

Eggbert became a chassis donor today !

4 bolts and cut 3 wires and eggbert is now another back yard fixtue.
anybody want a cheep 40 x 48 HF trailer frame teardrop cargo body :lol:

40 x 63 mobile kitchen is underway Have frame modification pictures and pics of the profile plan in the camera. Have turned the house upside down for the download cord that is not allowed out of the computer room. I have a sinking feeling it is in Tennesee with Ol' what's her name :x :x :x .
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Next

Return to Member Designs