new design input

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

new design input

Postby Team Varekai » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:58 am

Hey all, I need some input and approval on my design. I'm brand new to this and can't wait to get started, that fever you all talk about, I got it. :? My girlfriend said it was a hotflash ( silly girl...... step off!) So with that said, I did a crude drawing in sketchup, it's been awhile since I've done anything with it, and want you alls input on my design. It will be 5 wide x 10 long and 5 high. My concerns are 1-axle placement, does it look ok? 2- galley hinge, is there a rule of thumb as to where to locate it? mine currently is planned for +/- 36". Also does my door look out of place? ANY suggestions or criticisms would be greatly appreciated, I have poured over literally 1000's of pics and read forums topics till I don't know up from down. I need to get this off paper and onto lumber before I suffer from over-design syndrome, :worship: I see what it's done to some of you...lol. BTW, my name is Darin and I live in Paso Robles, Ca. Can't wait to hear back from all yalls, Thanks. Image
Team Varekai
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:30 am

Unless you really love the dark/cave experience, more/larger windows.
Is there a particular reason you are going with a 5' height?
Is this going to be a solo traveler or will there be two involved, if two then 5' wide unless you like turning over in tandem.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Rickxr2 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:46 am

Darin,
It's been a while, but I think I figured out how I wanted the interior cabinets, then placed the hatch hinge based on where the cabinets were. I would make the side door taller, it does look out of proportion, and you have plenty of room. Good luck on the build!

Rick
Image Image Image
Rickxr2
The 300 Club

Postby Team Varekai » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:46 pm

Thank you gentlemen :) , Shadow- 5 high to be less claustrophobic (HER input :roll: ) and this will be made for the both of us.
Rick- Thanks, thats kinda what I thought from all the pics I've looked at, just wanted some other input and yes the door will be redesigned. OH and shadow, I'm playing with more window ideas, the one shown was more for looks. Thank you both, this is going to be an "as I can afford it" build but if I could sell excitement I could buy a million of 'em ! Will post pics as I go as that is what impressed me most with you folks here, actually getting to see your ideas, trials, fixes and final product. Thanks again, Darin
Team Varekai
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tinksdad » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:35 pm

Using the suggested 60/40 guideline, your axle placement is right in the ball park.

You've all ready said you were going to redesign the door. That's a good thing. 24" wide looks good on paper; but it can get awfully small in real time use. The door on Itty-Biity (see my album) is 24w x 32h and it works because of the overall diminutive size of my trailer. But try to reach through it to make the bed or anything and it's cramped; not to mention those times in the middle of the night when you waited just a little too long to crawl out of the warm covers to go "wee" hoping that the urge would go away. I have two 18x15 windows in Itty-Bitty and they are adequate; but I have a line on some 18w x 23h jalousie windows for the next build which I think might be marginal (but that's my opinion).

Sketchup is a wonderful thing. Now that you have your profile, you can place cabinets, shelves and what not to your hearts content before you ever make the first bit of sawdust. That's not to say you won't change your mind in the middle of the build.

All of the above is just my 2 and a half cents worth and is to be taken with however many grains of salt you wish.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:00 pm

I would make the door higher...

Look at my 5x10 profile to see what I mean...

Here: http://www.mikenchell.com/Baja_Benroy_P ... ndex7.html

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Team Varekai » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:09 pm

Thanks guys. Yes Tink, I'm thinking maybe 34w x 48h or along those lines. I love using sketchup, now I have a GOOD reason to use it alot :twisted: and will get more proficient at too, I really want to start posting more of my work here, both for analisys by fellow builders and for information for the builders-to-be out there. This site has been a HUGE influence, ALL POSITIVE! Maybe I can talk Mike into dimensioning his door on the benroy :thinking: Thanks for everything guys. Happy Trails 'n Tears.

ps..Tink, I have already changed my interior 3 or 4 times in sketch :? I just didn't post yet. I was hard enough to get the exterior on here, but that too will be easier with use. :)
Team Varekai
Teardrop Inspector

new design update

Postby Team Varekai » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:26 am

OK, this is my 3rd try to get this post up, I think I finally figured out the whole getting pic without losing what I already wrote in here... So, I redesigned the door, I like it. the 3 little windows just a thought, input anyone? Also submitted for your "approval" is a prelim interior view. Thank you all, Darin. ps: i will have pics up soon of the sacraficial trailer that I'm using for this build :twisted: Image Image
Team Varekai
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Arne » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:10 am

I think my door is about the size of your new one.... 24" is too narrow to get in and out easily... plus, I can jam my foam mattress, barely, through the larger door..... but, I still bang my head once in a while.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

ok..

Postby laoutdoorsman » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:16 am

without trying to mess up this thread...is 24 inches really too tight for a door?? is that just for a short door?? ive gone over it a million times trying to figure out how wide to make my door, and have settled on 24...was gonna do 18, and settled on 24.....(my door will be 5 foot tall though)

just curious...

btw, Team Varekai----the question was asked about your 5 foot height because of plywood....if youre not getting 5 foot wide plywood, you have to decide how youre gonna get that extra foot without a bunch of waste...thats been/or will be a curse in my build...(im going 6 foot high(not a teardrop, though))
mike breaux...its pronounced "bro".....
i think i should have taken notes along the way, because ive forgotten waaaay more than i remember...
laoutdoorsman
Teardrop Master

Postby Arne » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:04 am

I'm hooking up the t/d to leave, so measured the doors... 32 wide, 36 high (48" t/d)....

One advantage, besides being able to get the mattress in and out is the door does not have to be swung wide to get in/out.. it's the little things that count.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby mikeschn » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:32 pm

I believe my door was 28" wide on the Baja Benroy. It's 28" wide on the Giant TD too. That's plenty wide for egress!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Team Varekai » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:19 pm

laoutdoorsman, Here where I live, the lumber supply house has 5' x5' x 1/2" baltic burch and any waste will be used up in my home woodshop. :thumbsup:
Team Varekai
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Member Designs