Where to put the "head of the bed"

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Where to put the "head of the bed"

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:40 am

I have been thinking "outside the box" once again and have had a "eureka" moment. Most people seem to put the head of the bed at the front of the trailer. As most trailers have a curve there this may affect one's ability to have nice headroom when sitting up. If you have the head against the rear bulkhead (assuming your galley doesn't intrude into the sleeping area) you have nearly the full height of the tear to work with. In addition, baring suicide doors, It seems to me that the opening of the door will be a more natural motion (pushing the door open rather than trying to fold the door behind you) making egress a bit easier.
Also, putting the usual shelves over the area of the feet will now be more forward in the trailer and perhaps provide a bit better weight distribution. As I intend to only store clothes and sleeping items in these shelves, the weight won't be significant it will be more "balanced". Also if I mount an air conditioner in the "foretriange" it will be easy to plumb the air intake/exhaust over the feet which I think is more desirable than having it right near your head. Any thoughts?
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Arne » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:18 am

both of mine have 'head to back' as I wanted dog space in the front so the dogs would not walk over the pillow area of my bed. Also, the dog space gives me some foot room for getting dressed, and a place near the door to put shoes (in the dog space on rubber mats).

Turns out the dogs sleep on the foot of the bed, anyway, but it still works the way I wanted. All sand is no where near the pillows. Head room is not an issue, and I have 2 windows on each side, one in the door, and one by my head.

I think the traditional tear is head to front so the galley can extend further into the sleeping area, But my galley wall is vertical with no intrusion into the living space.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby bobhenry » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:45 am

Our tear is head to galley wall also. I can tuck my feet under the front cabinet and there is an added benefit with the cabinets in the front I can simply reach in and get what I want or change a radio station without getting it. We generally toss our shoes to the outside edge under the cabinet as well and they are at the ready as you set in the doorway ready to hop out.

Yep it is a fireplace mantle for a headboard. It was in the rafters in the garage for 3 years.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby willik » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:37 am

My galley is straight wall and my a/c is on the front bottom. I put my head at the galley end because I need an ever so slight downward slant on the front for A/C drainage. It is just enough to keep me from getting a good night's sleep when my head is pointed down.
"I take comfort in the general unfairness of the universe." -- JMS
willik
Teardrop Master

I'm not crazy after all

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:53 am

Seems like my "eureka" moment has been experienced by others before me. Thanks for confirming my thoughts. Not a common experience for me, ha.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:13 pm

Our grass hopper design is with the head of the bed in the rear, the head board is actually the cabinet that contains the fresh water tank and pump. by lowering the tongue jack a three point leveling is possible. Nancy says it is however a bit inconvenient to make the bed as doors are in the front (windows on both sides near the head of the bed).
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:59 am

We are building ours in the conventional manner. To provide for sitting headroom clearance, we have a front headboard cabinet. The face frame of the cabinet is angled to provide a comfortable seating position. You can see the layout in the dado on the sidewall.

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Return to Member Designs