My first rimple sketch

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

My first rimple sketch

Postby mxgibby911 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:33 pm

This is my first attempt at using a cad program to design something, Usually just spent hour upon hour with graph paper. 10' x 5' rimple.

Image[/img]
mxgibby911
Teardrop Inspector

Rimple

Postby Chris D » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:40 pm

Looks Great!!!! :applause: :thumbsup: 8)

Nice size tear plenty of room. I think you will have a stiff neck if ya sleep like the dude in da trailer :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris D
Chris D
Teardrop Master

Cool Rimple!

Postby Alfred » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:03 pm

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I think the Rimple is a great design that maximizes usable space. I very seriously considered a Rimple design, although I eventually went with a modified Weekender design.

Keep us posted!

Al in Asheville :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby mxgibby911 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:20 pm

I like this design best so far. I cook mainly over an open fire so a galley would be near useless for me, and am a big guy 6'4 240 so i need as much room as i can get. i do plan on adding bracing on top to haul a 4x8 fiberglass boat. I think i will skin it with aluminium then paint. There will also be a door on both sides. Feel free to throw some ideas at me if you have any. And as far as my skill levels, i used to work on custom cars, interior mainly such as stereos, lighting, tv's etc., and also built amature level props for a local haunted house.
mxgibby911
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Toytaco2 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:59 pm

I also like the rimple design and gave it some thought early on. This is probably not your final rendition, but, I think you are going to want to move your doors forward some so as not to interfere with your fenders/wheel wells.

Mike
Toytaco2
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Good job on the cad stuff. You're better at sketchup than I am!!!

But like Mike said, once you get your wheels in there, you'll have to move the door forward...

Also, I would make the back radius a bit larger. It just looks better!

Otherwise keep having fun. The planning is just as important, and just as fun as the building, which is just as fun as the camping!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mxgibby911 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:08 am

I see what ya mean about the door and wheel dilema, i didn't have the trailer accesible when i did the sketch (it was at home and i work) but am now working on the improvements. And also like the idea about the larger rear raduis. Thanks this is the kinda stuff i was looking for
mxgibby911
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mxgibby911 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:17 am

Just another idea i'm gonna toss out there

mxgibby911
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:57 am

I like your first idea better, once the doors are adjusted to allow for the wheels. The Rimple is a great design. :thumbsup:

:thinking: Idea to consider: It doesn't look like you plan on a galley or a galley hatch; but, if you change your exterior storage compartment door so that it opens upwards instead of downwards, you might be able to add braces and use that storage door as a countertop...or as an extra place to set things when you're rummaging through your storage.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mxgibby911 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:04 pm

Great suggestion on the rear storage lid as a counter top :thumbsup: . Keep the ideas coming.
mxgibby911
Teardrop Inspector

Postby robertaw » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:33 pm

:thumbsup: Very nice design! I can't even draw a line with CAD so I'm extremely impressed with your first attempt!

I don't think I have ever seen a TD with a duct system A/C. I love the moon roof also.

But the sleepin' dude is my very favorite part. ;)
Roberta
robertaw
500 Club

Postby mxgibby911 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:28 pm

Well, i thought the duct system for the ac was a must because we didn't want the air blowing right on us, now i just have some technical issue to figure out so it will work. And i'm currently working on a CAD design to included the suggestions and fixes. I think i'm gonna move to the journal forum so i can show my progress from begining to end. Thanks and keep the observations and suggestions coming. Gibby
mxgibby911
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:01 pm

When I said larger radius, I was thinking something like this...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Member Designs