My Design/Ideas to ponder

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

My Design/Ideas to ponder

Postby jjohnston » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:00 pm

Thought I'd share my designs/thoughts with the group on a slide-in type camper for a utility trailer. the first is for two people with a convertible dinette area that makes into a bed

Sleeper 2

a second one for the same trailer that can sleep two adults and three kids, with elements borrowed from a few designs here on the forum.

Sleeper 5

And a slidein for my Sport Trac

Feel free to chime in a tell me I'm waay off in thinking I can build these as drop ins for a 4 X 8 trailer. :? What got me started in this whole idea was I wanted a small camper for Hunting in Texas. That's what lead me to find this forum in the first place. you all have tones of great info and I like how everyone is quick to lend ideas and constructive crtisism to other members.
Jason Johnston
jjohnston
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Greg M » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:57 am

Uh, where's the third kid go in #2? Other than that they all seem pretty good.

-Greg
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby dwgriff1 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:41 am

I am working on ideas and designs for a small pickup camper.

My pickup is full sized, with an 8' bed. I want to keep it low and stand up room may not survive.

Where are your thoughts?

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby Geron » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:47 am

Greg M wrote:Uh, where's the third kid go in #2? Other than that they all seem pretty good.

-Greg

On the floor under the bed???
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jjohnston » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:52 am

On the floor under the bed???[/quote]

She'd LOVE that!!! :lol: No, I think she would sleep with mom and me. Might even rig up a hammok.....
Jason Johnston
jjohnston
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jjohnston » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:35 pm

dwgriff1 wrote:I am working on ideas and designs for a small pickup camper.

My pickup is full sized, with an 8' bed. I want to keep it low and stand up room may not survive.

Where are your thoughts?

dave

I've been looking at the Compact 3 lifting roof as well as the older design that was used on this Site The builder is a member here. I think that these lifting roof ideas should be simple to build.
Jason Johnston
jjohnston
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dwgriff1 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:17 pm

I like the idea of a lift roof, and I think the maker of the one you mentioned did a good turn by making the whole top raise. That should make waterproofing easier.

Here is one that does not pop up but sure looks nice. Look at the yelllow one at the bottom of the page. http://www.butlerprojects.com/other/tru ... /index.htm

How about a top built like a piper cub. Light and simple.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby Ageless » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:04 pm

#2 design. If you lift those bunks to the ceiling during the day; you can still have a small kitchen area.
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby jjohnston » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:24 pm

Ageless wrote:#2 design. If you lift those bunks to the ceiling during the day; you can still have a small kitchen area.

You mean like this....

Jason Johnston
jjohnston
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bve » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:32 pm

jjohnston wrote:
Ageless wrote:#2 design. If you lift those bunks to the ceiling during the day; you can still have a small kitchen area.

You mean like this....

That works, but what if... they had another hinge in them, so they fold in half lengthwise before folding up, you might have a bit of room for some cupboards above too - of course the pads would need to be stored somewhere when they are up.
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby Ageless » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:21 pm

That works, but what if... they had another hinge in them, so they fold in half lengthwise before folding up, you might have a bit of room for some cupboards above too - of course the pads would need to be stored somewhere when they are up.

You take them outside and 'air' them out. If you hinge the beds up against the ceiling you have an angled ceiling and dont lose any counter space
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Ageless » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:30 pm

You take them outside and 'air' them out. If you hinge the beds up against the ceiling you have an angled ceiling and dont lose any counter space. The older trailers hinged the bed it the center so when folded up didn't take up much ceiling space
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby jjohnston » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:56 pm

I've thought about doing something like this. The slide out has a ridgid roof or could be canvas to save weight. My question here is can I cantilever something out that far that will support 150-200lbs of kid/teen? I was thinking of adding supports to the bottom as either poles or a fold out brace.

Thoughts?

Jason Johnston
jjohnston
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Member Designs