Dogpod v0.1

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Dogpod v0.1

Postby Changer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:14 am

I still suck at using Sketchup (but haven't put POVRay and Moray on the new computer yet) but ... thoughts?

This version is 6x8, 4' tall in the front and 5' in the rear, I'm thinking about shrinking it down to 5'8x8 or even 5x8. If I go down to 5x8, I'll have to put the bed lengthwise instead of across, though.

Mostly inspired by the Stewart Family's weekender. :) And yes, the front section is a 'skylight' but I do not think I would actually do that, even though it looks cool - someone has a Lexan roof in the gallery but that seems sort of complicated and I'd worry about hail.
Changer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby angib » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:17 am

A 6' wide (externally) trailer is going to be around 68" wide inside (around 2" thickness for each sidewall) and that's not enough to sleep in for most people. To see if this includes you, try setting up a board on your home bed at this dimension and seeing if you pass a comfortable night.

I don't see how you're going to get in a door that's over the wheel. Particularly as the trailer's only about 56" high inside. But there's nothing stopping you from putting the door at the back.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Changer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:32 am

I'm short, so the width isn't a problem for me (especially since I can go diagonally on the bed). And the door thing is just a dumb error on my part. Oops. :P (This is why I post these things)! THank you.
Changer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby starleen2 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:57 am

Ok here’s the problem with the door on the side and the bed to the front : being 8 ft long doesn’t give you a lot of space inside. A door on the side at the back takes up wall space – that’s why I put in the rear so I could have a walkway (stoopway!). Imagine opening the door and immediately running into cabinets mounted on the back wall. If you choose to leave the door on the side, make sure it opens to the outside. The weender II solved this problem by extending the overall length another two feet to allow for a full two foot wide door
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Return to Member Designs