a simple hardside popup

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

a simple hardside popup

Postby navigator » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:08 am

Here is the latest of my small, folding trailer ideas. This one tosses out the hope of a nice shape in favor of a simple design. Again very similar to an Esterel, but only one end lifts. With the rear part of the roof having a drop, needed height is acheived without lifting so high, and the rear wall can be straight up. The level body top makes the folding walls easy to operate. Yes, a slight curve could be addd to the roof for drainage; it's flat for easier proof-of-concept drawing. The roof fits over the body, sealing it well while both closed and open. Roof is hinged from inside, ensuring weathertight operation.

The body sidewalls are 4' high. Interior height at apex is 7.5'. This version has a 9' long body. I also have a 12' body drawn, but prefer the shorter one for off-road-ability. The added interior length is very tempting, though...

navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby steve smoot » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:15 am

I like this one a lot. Hope you build it and post more pictures. :applause:
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing...
steve smoot
Lifetime member

Postby starleen2 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:21 am

:thinking: interesting :twisted:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Changer » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:39 am

LOVE it! I wonder how light it would possible to make the roof.

(Bad Cait, no cookies, build the box-shaped one FIRST and get that one figured out....)
Changer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ageless » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:10 pm

I like it! Nice and simple. On idea comes to mind; have a slide out galley that occupies the standing area while travelling
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Alan Wood » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:51 pm

Interesting design indeed. :thinking: I like the concept so far! :thumbsup:
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby navigator » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:10 am

Thanks for the comments! :)

I have been refining the details, mainly how it seals the joints when open, and it's looking good. This design gives the most room with the least complications, and has plenty of storage when closed for items such as a Drifta-style pullout galley.

There will be an awning/tent off the back for more space; the trailer is mainly for secure sleeping quarters and a way to haul "stuff."

Opinions requested on width: wide enough for a sideways queen (7' exterior), a short queen (6'-6" exterior), or put the mattress lengthwise (5'-4" exterior)? I want it to be easy to haul into remote places, but not looking to do any super-hard off-roading with it (pintle hitch stuff).

Trying to keep myself from adding a slideout bed... the extra space it allows is nice, but I'm trying my best to keep it simple. :thinking:
navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby starleen2 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:07 am

If your looking for off road portability - my suggestion would be 79" wide - just short of the 80" extra lighting rule. Seven feet wide is HUGE and i foresee some problems getting into some off road places. As a general rule - if your Tow vehicle fits down the path - then your trailer should not be any wider than the TV. The Ladybug WW is 76"wide on the interior and the queen sized bed is lengthwise. I'm 6'0 and fit just well with plenty of legroom
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby navigator » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:50 am

Had a thought to reverse the plan and move the door to the side, allowing a slide out galley-type thing at the rear. An awning attached to the roof would keep water off the kitchen area, and one on the side would provide additional outdoor space. The bed is a sideways short queen (with no visible means of support), and there's almost 4' between it and the front wall.

This also allows the water tank to be over the axle, and the galley cabinet to be inside (at night) without taking up floor space. Top of cab is right at 3', so that works out well...

navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby Billy K » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:25 am

I like the rear bed, better.

You could do the galley in two drawers and still have a brace under the bed. As well as two short drawer/cabinets under the front edge of the bed.

"L" shaped cabinet with a lazy susan in the the driver side, front corner. A removable table between the cabinets and bed would create a dining booth.

Simple, spacious, Cool!
"...influence is no government." - George Washington
Billy K
Teardrop Master

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:52 am

The only problem I see with your design is holding the top up while pulling the rear wall up. A top that size would be quite heavy and I'm not visualizing any way to add a lift assist system to it.

Other than that it looks great.
Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby navigator » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:13 pm

The top may well be heavier than I would like, especially without resorting to some type of cell-core panel. Nice, but pricey. If the roof is too heavy to use the simple Esterel system (gas struts), then the ugly system of exterior lifts could be used:

PDF details: http://www.rvworkshop.com/C&R%20Lift%20System%20Illustration.pdf

The width is still up in the air, as I'm not sure I like the idea of a short mattress. The extra lighting requirments for >80" don't seem like that big of a deal to take care of. My current tent trailer is 7' wide, and I agree it looks huge, but it's not a whole lot wider than the Tahoe pulling it.

I feel pretty good about it when I see folks weaving their 35' long 8' wide toyhaulers through the trees (with their 25' long crew cab diesels)...
navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:11 pm

Ya know right after I wrote that post I remember those lifts from my sons old popup trailer. they would probably work. Sounds like you got it figured out.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby Mike_La » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:25 pm

RAYVILLIAN wrote:The only problem I see with your design is holding the top up while pulling the rear wall up. A top that size would be quite heavy and I'm not visualizing any way to add a lift assist system to it.

Other than that it looks great.
Gary

navagator

A RV slide-out room jack may do the job of lifting the roof section.

Mike
Mike

"Believe you can and you're halfway there."
Theodore Roosevelt
Mike_La
Silver Donating Member

Postby Geron » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:48 pm

What about keeping the door in the back and a slide out galley from the side? Slides from under the bed. :thinking:

Could have one on each side. Either a galley or easy access storage.
:yes: :no: :QM
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Member Designs