Another dogpod sketch - v0.3!

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Another dogpod sketch - v0.3!

Postby Changer » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:11 am

I'm getting closer to build day- hopefully bringing my trailer home first of the year!
Changer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:02 am

there ya are!
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Changer » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:35 am

I'd really like to make that door curved, but I'm a little scared of the build as is. :P Figure I can always re-do it again later. :) The other thought is, if I really decide I want an outside galley, I'll just move the mattress to the other end, build a second platform and foot-space drawer, and put formica on the mattress platform. :)

The bottom under the bed will be divided into sections, so the batteries (and later AC) can go there, along with room for a cooler. I may be better off making that section have doors that open sideways - any thoughts?

One thing I didn't make clear on this version is that while the back hatch opens up over the bed, there's a little ledge to keep the occupant of the bed from rolling out if it's open- it'll overlap, to make sure that there's no leakage. And it could be propped up if the weather was really nice, too. :)

The drawer will be situated slightly lower than the bed, with slots cut out for the sides. The mattress will have a section cut out of the foot (and the double-section will just get popped into the drawer and put back in place once I'm set up) - and I think I'm going to make it slightly wider (24" wide) and deep enough to suit someone taller than myself on the theory that I will eventually sell this thing and not everyone's as short as I am.

I'm going to build a full-scale cardboard mockup before I begin work on this and make sure it's all usable and will fit stuff in where I think it will. Fantastic fan on the roof, and I'm going to try and find slidey windows for the sides. I wish I could just put foam insulation onto the cardboard and fiberglass it, but I think that's probably too flimsy, even if it would be awesomely easy.

Cait
Changer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Prem » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:52 am

Cait,

Nice simple design and layout.

Two things:

1) If you're parked on the street somewhere with it, it's suicide trying to use the trailer door if it's on the street side. Curb side saves lives.

2) Why not do it in 1:12 scale mockup? One foot of trailer = One inch of cardboard. Might take you an hour. 10 foot trailer = 10 inches of cardboard or poster board. Start building it in plywood full size later the same day.

For what it's worth.

Prem :thumbsup:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:10 pm

:thumbsup: Looks good. The bottom can be used as a shelf. You could also make folding shelves if you hand the doors open center.

I wonder if an AC under the bed might be noisy and vibrate. I am thinking of putting mine on the tongue.

Have to agree with the curb side door. :thinking: unless you will never use it while transporting......

I like the storage with this. Looks like a bit of tweaking and you will have a great camping experience.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby bobhenry » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:01 am

Miriam C. wrote:I wonder if an AC under the bed might be noisy and vibrate.

Is white noise and a good vibration a bad thing :R
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Changer » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:45 am

Thanks guys!

My thought for putting the door on the driver's side was that I am lazy and it'd be less to walk around. I hadn't thought about that putting me out on the street side though, because I'm a dope. :P Thank you!

Picked up a new glue gun and some fresh exacto blades today. As soon as I find my straightedge, I'm going to build myself a model and see how it works. :)

Build may get put off for another month. My camera died, and I need it for my art website so I can keep my listings on Etsy and Artfire up to date. :( I'm trying to decide if it can wait (since this is the slow season for gifty stuff) or if I should go ahead and replace it. (Downside is, I won't be able to document the build if I don't have one!) Frustratingly, I have almost all the wood I need, and the gift card for the saw I want (I got a drill for christmas! A really good one!) but the trailer itself... argh.
Changer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Changer » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:12 am

Mockup built (I went ahead and did it full scale because I scored a refridgerator box to cut it out of) and... eh.

The width was fine and I still like my slideout footspace. But I think the height is problematic. I'm now contemplating some kind of popup roof, or raising the roof on it, period, to give myself a little more room for climbing in and out.
Changer
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Member Designs