Modular Teardrop Build with link to Photo Album

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Modular Teardrop Build with link to Photo Album

Postby CAMPLITE8 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:02 pm

Modern Modular Teardrop Trailer
by John Boles

This describes the building of an advanced, custom, detachable teardrop trailer. It’s a light weight version of typical teardrop trailers, and can be removed from its rolling platform so that a bicycle or motorcycle can be carried instead.

1994: The Generation 1 Trailer

To give the background on this project, we go to Pewaukee, Wisconsin in 1994 when I scratch built a single channel motorcycle trailer of welded steel. I wanted a unique design without leaf springs, not a run of the mill flatbed. So, I designed custom machined swing arms using 4 small coil springs per arm, with pivot shafts riding in bronze bushings. I used coil springs so that I could switch to stiffer springs if I towed a heavy bike. Bushing friction alone provides adequate damping. A light trailer has the advantage of the motorcycle’s own suspension to help damp out road bumps, just don’t crank down the tie straps too far. A key feature is adjustable tongue weight by sliding the axle carriage on the 5 inch wide steel channel. With 4.80-12 tires and a spare mounted flat on the channel, I used the Gen 1 trailer for 9 years in Ohio to haul my dirt bikes. It worked well, but at 260 pounds was heavy even when disassembled because it broke down to only two main components. It had a pivoting loading ramp at the rear, but no lights or wiring. 1 I was always the lightest rig in the parking field at the off-road races. Other guys had big pick-ups towing flat bed or box trailers. I prefer to add temporary capability to an economical car, for a weekend ride or a camping trip, rather than daily drive a large vehicle. 2 I moved to Michigan in 2004 but first gave the Gen 1 trailer to a dairy farmer in Marysville, Ohio who converted it to a rigid axle, covered flatbed for transporting calves, with floor planks spaced for dung fall out. I was delighted the trailer got a new life, retired on the farm, but still serving daily. All told, including maintenance and upgrades, I had about $1200 in the Gen 1. It is the green trailer in the photobucket album.

This link goes to TEARDROP TRAILER BUILD

http://s1016.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... LD%202009/

2008: Generation 2 Trailer

In 2007 I wanted to return to off road motorcycling, but first I had to build a new custom trailer. I wanted to design the best complement to my preferred vehicle, the medium station wagon with 2 liter engine. Cars in this 3000 pound class typically have a towing limit of 1000 pounds for trailers without brakes. I turned it over in my mind for weeks, and finally opted for an improved single rail motorcycle trailer, plus a separate teardrop “shellâ€
CAMPLITE8
Teardrop Inspector

Postby nawlinsteardrop » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:38 pm

Love the rear hatch liscense Plate Setup. looks cool. All it needs is a cute Whale Tale... NICE
Chad

Life sometimes throws you a curve ball, be flexible and courageous enough to still knock it out of the park.

http://www.outsidesupply.com

http://blog.outsidesupply.com
nawlinsteardrop
Teardrop Master

Postby Mark & Andrea Jones » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:38 pm

I like the concept. :applause: :applause: You ought to be able to fasten the "lift" mechanism to a rafter to get rid of the jack pole in the middle of the floor, though. Just a thought. If it were me, I'd be running into it everytime I walked into the garage. :lol: :lol:

Must be single, too. Building the TD on the floor in a sun room??? Wow. If you have a significant other in your life, keep 'em! :lol: :lol:

AJ.
Quality Water Treatment Solutions in the New River Valley! www.clearcreekwaterworks.com
Mark & Andrea Jones
The 300 Club

Return to Member Designs