OK, let me have it!

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

OK, let me have it!

Postby kludge » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:05 pm

Comments and criticism is what I need here...

First up is a quick sketch for a "shelter" on my current landscape trailer. Dimensions are 7'W and 8'L. Sides are 14". This trailer as it sits probably isn't going to hold the weight of a wood framed and skinned top, so my thought is that 2" pink stuff skinned with fiberglass and resin would be the way to go.

The overall form of this trailer makes me :lol:

kludge
Teardrop Master

Postby kludge » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:06 pm

Next is a tear design 6'W x 11'L overall (10'L trailer frame)

The goal here is to accomodate a family of seven.

Two, and in a pinch three bunks across the front. A dinette that makes a "king" bed, with room for one to sleep underneath, plus some space for gear. Opposite the door is a closet, or perhaps with a bit of adjustment, a potty. Dimensions are on the street side profile.

Last edited by kludge on Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kludge
Teardrop Master

Postby kludge » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:14 pm

Third is something I would say would be useful in my scoutmaster position. I like the boxy look of the offroad tears, and I'm a Jeep nut too. This kind of reminds me of the Weekender... and for now I'm going with the Overnighter, since that's what scouts do.

The lower galley wall is 1' from the rear, leaving 7' of legroom. I can probably get by with 6'6" of legroom, and that would allow a cooler to be placed on the galley floor.

Not sure yet how I'm going to do the rear wall, but it's not going to be connected to the hatch.

The tongue box can be accessible from the inside since there's no room for a front cabinet. Perhaps divided upper and lower - a shelf for the inside and a battery box and electrical accessible from the outside.

It's a work in progress... and as you can see I'm starting to get a handle on Sketchup.

Last edited by kludge on Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kludge
Teardrop Master

Postby jjohnston » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:20 pm

kludge, your teardrop design is something I'm looking at fro a family of 5. That's a pretty clean design, although a bit sparse on storage space.

Your first design is something I'm also looking at for a dropin on a 4 x 8 trailer I have.

I think those angles at the back might be a little complicated to build and they take away interior space.

I've been working on a design for a hunting trailer that I can drop into that trailer footprint yet provide a 5 X 9 camping space for a small closet, indoor cooking area, and a dinette that converts into a bed. check out my designs in my album.

Overall some very good designs.
Jason Johnston
jjohnston
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mark & Andrea Jones » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:17 pm

I personally like the second one, but there are a couple of issues.

I'm not sure why you'd want to have a full, vertical wall between the "hall" and the large bed. If you'd like something to rest your feet on, use a half wall. If you are looking for some privacy, hang a curtain or simply don't worry about it. Also, with the wall there, you won't be able to get into the seating while the table is up unless you chop about 4 - 6 inches (or more) off the end or round the end or remove the walls altogether.

I would also suggest that you put a couple of awning windows on either side of the large bed, another in the door, a window opposite the door, and use the lower part of that area for a storage closet of some kind. With three/four people in there, you are going to need the airflow - particularly when it rains.

Another suggestion: Get some cargo netting for above the two bunk beds so whomever is sleeping there has a place to put "stuff". Hang it with some cup hooks, etc.

AJ
Quality Water Treatment Solutions in the New River Valley! www.clearcreekwaterworks.com
Mark & Andrea Jones
The 300 Club

Return to Member Designs