CRITIQUE NEEDED OF PROFILE DESIGN FOR OUR 4X10 TD

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby Juneaudave » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:23 pm

Dave...is that interior cabinet door drop front? You may want to rethink that, it could be in the way getting in and out. Also just a comment...I like both profiles but I love the first on. It just fits my eye better.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Ageless » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:38 pm

Yep, the lesser radius will give ya less grief.
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:04 pm

Hi Dave, the interior cabinet is currently designed as 3 across with the two outer doors swinging out from the center one (hinges next to the outer walls) and the center one dropping down for a table. Man, does that make any sense...? Yeah, I really like Design C, yet D gives me a nice padded headrest.

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:17 pm

Found the website. Beautiful work! Where's a painting going in the TD?
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Arne » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:19 pm

I like the second version better... just be sure you won't hit your shins reaching the counter top.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby DMcCam » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:40 pm

Thanks for the kind complements on my paintings. The TD will likely have a small painting on the middle cabinet door I think. Of course one of the reasons for making a TD is to get out and paint in nature!!! :lol:

Hey Arne, your build journal and is just wonderful not to mention how great your TD turned out! Luckily there will be some cushion with the hatch seal on that edge to save the shins. Pain is a good teacher...

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:59 am

Tighter radius should not be real problematic I was able to do this one with 1/4" cheap box store luan. I simply used hot water and a towel to soak both sides real well before trying the bend.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

first design

Postby danlott » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:19 am

I like the first design best. The tighter curve has a real strong appeal to me. You might have a little more work to get the tighter curve, but I think it sets your teardrop apart from a more standard looking profile.

Dan
Last edited by danlott on Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby Conestoga » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:44 am

Conestoga
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:00 am

Conestoga wrote:Image

What is you let the galley floor run out and left the green portion with the trailer body.

The green area on the hatch is now gone

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby DMcCam » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:37 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sure could leave the lowest curve attached to the frame. I was mostly concerned about my wife being able to reach everything in the galley. I think I'll have to lower the counter in the galley to something closer to 36" from the road. This would allow me to move everything aft a little bit.

Maybe I should show the hatch stays in the drawing to save my wife's noggin.

Thanks guys, Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby angib » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:25 am

DMcCam wrote:Image

As well as easing that tight radius, this profile has more 'tension' to my eyes - the other one looks a bit heavy/leaden by comparison.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby nevadatear » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:28 pm

I don't know if you can see well enough in our album, but check out the galley on ours. I have no problem reaching everything. I think (If I remember correctly) our cabinets are about 18" deep. The sliders sit on top of the counter top, giving me about 14 " of depth. I have no trouble reaching everything and shin knocking is not a problem the sides do stick out in the curve longer that the floor so the floor to base cabient depth is only about 6". Works great for us.
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:03 pm

Dave, Debbie here. Randy doesn't type well so he tells me what to say! We don't have CAD skills, so here is ROUGH rendering of our floor plan. After much discussion of galley, this is what we came up with. We didn't make our final decisions there until after we saw all the trailers at the Glyphs and listened to all the pro and con agruements for each person's galley layout.

I originally wanted the slide out ice chest, like I think you have, and perfectly valid reasons exist for both pro and con, I decided I wanted more storage space all ready to go, rather than the ice chest that I would take in and out, and potentialyl store in the car when we go to bear area anyway. Also decided after all the work on the woodwork, didn't want to mess it up with cooking grease, and so we store the stove in the galley, but cook on a table outside. Thus the winter plan of building hitch based side tables this year. This best decision I made was adding the slide out water storage. Didn't want to waste space for a sink, but I use that water WAYYY more than I ever thought I would. Also, we love the extra space we created by adding a front bulkhead in the cabin. Since we made the bottom ones flush with no protruding parts, you can still sit up or lean up against it to read at night, but gained some valuable storage space in the "nose" of the trailer. Still have a queen size bed.

ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:06 pm

Hi Debbie, Thank you for taking the time to make a sketch of you TD. It really helps visualize your design.

You are correct about the slide out ice chest. Where do you stow your ice chest? Great minds and all that with the stove. In this current design, the stove is stored above the cooler. If you look closely at the back space, you'll see two thin panels. These are a fold out counter that I got from the 'galley layout' images. They fold up to make a wider counter then swing out over the back end. This keeps the cooking away from the galley plus frees up counter space, bonus! I'm still waffling about the nose storage. We sleep on a Cal King and I've gotten used to stretching out. ;)

Conastoga brings up a question, do the hatches have any vertical movement once deployed?

Cheers, Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs