The 280lb Pico-Light

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:14 pm

Thats a nice quickie Tinks...

We gotta get you into a rendering package... ;)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby danlott » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:49 pm

Tinksdad,

You are pretty fast with your drawings. You need to practise with the "soften/smooth edges" function in SketchUp. First click on "Select All" located in the "Edit" drop down menu. Then right click on the model and select "Soften/Smooth Edges". You can then erase lines on rounded surfaces that remain after you have smoothed the edges. Be careful as sometimes when erasing you can erase the surface. If this happens you just have to select undo. Sometimes you can get the best results by repeating this process twice. It is very fast and easy to do and will make your models look better.

Dan

tinksdad wrote:
almostanengineer wrote:So, maybe I'm just not looking hard enough, but what are the dimensions on this? Specifically the sleeping area? I want to try out the cardboard box suggestion...

Also, if anyone is feeling adventurous, how would this look behind a VW New Beetle? Mine is yellow. ;)

Just a quick doodle. Didn't spend a lot of time on it and the Pico is missing some detail; but I think this may be what you want to see.

Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby tinksdad » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:46 pm

Dan...
Thanks for the info on getting rid of the extra planar lines. I hadn't been able to find a tutorial or figure that out yet. That's one of the things I like about this forum.... it's not strictly one topic and one topic only. Somebody is always willing to offer help on almost any topic.

Mike...
I've looked at a couple of rendering apps, just haven't picked one to try to learn.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:04 pm

This one really gives me the feel for the size...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby almostanengineer » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:55 pm

Thank you Tinksdad! That's what I wanted to see. :)

I'm still curious what the height from top to bottom and back to from would end up being... Can someone point me to where I need to go to find those numbers?
almostanengineer
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:33 pm

All the dimensions you want are in Andrew's PDF, which you can find at the bottom of this page...

http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear58.htm

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby glassice » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:35 pm

I got a e-mail If I can build the frame out of Carbon Fiber & Kevlar for one of these NO WAY if you got the smallest delame By jack knifing dropping some thing on it a rock flying up and hitting it , it would be bad real fast may be if you did the frame & floor in 1 cure .
It is not the return ON my investment that I am concerned about; it is the return OF my investment
glassice
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ageless » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:20 pm

I wouldn't have a concern. They use kevlar for bullet-proof vests so a small rock isn't a problem. Look at the Boeing 787 which replaces much of the aluminum structure with composites.
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby glassice » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:43 pm

The best looking man on this site make some of there composites panels In NV for them LOL It is not the small rock it the one the side of your hand. We do the cure in autoclaves then X rayed if delame is bigger than a quarter out to the trash under We can fell with foam. and when in usage are look at ever so many hours. bullet-proof vests totally different They say your not to walk on them But look at them when there are building beat it in and glue
It is not the return ON my investment that I am concerned about; it is the return OF my investment
glassice
Silver Donating Member

Re: The 280lb Pico-Light

Postby Sandy St. Louis » Sat May 12, 2012 10:13 pm

I have built nearly a Pico the shape, framing, width, most materials are as designed the only real changes are ,the length I had to use the full 8ft of plywood, the roof on top of the 1/8th ply I also used fiberglass cloth and resin and finally the suspension is spring connected to the reach . the wieght without the shelf,mattress and vent 286lbs. total hieght 54'' if possible i will post pictures when I figure how to . I wish to thank Andrew for his design the framing ,fillets and fiberglass joints worked wonderfull this trailer may be lite but it is very strong . The interior will be painted sterefoam inbetween the frames. By the way I towed it 150 miles with a 4cyl 2200cc pontiac 5spd with about a 5% loss of mpg getting 32mpg [U.S.gal] Its a great little trailer
Sandy St. Louis
Teardrop Advisor

Postby angib » Sun May 13, 2012 5:30 am

Sandy, please show us some photos!
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Sandy St. Louis » Sun May 13, 2012 8:37 pm

As one may notice my great computing skills please scroll to the bottom for I hope a link to the pictures have more on the build but can,t find them . Moderators sorry for the mess correct or delete as you feel be for the forum thanks
Last edited by Sandy St. Louis on Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sandy St. Louis
Teardrop Advisor

Re:

Postby KCStudly » Mon May 14, 2012 4:57 pm

glassice wrote:...if you got the smallest delame By jack knifing dropping some thing on it a rock flying up and hitting it , it would be bad real fast...

I had a carbon fiber surf casting rod that got a tiny little chip in it just above the reel mount. The first time after the chip that I hooked a big blue fish, I set the hook and bammo, the rod blew up in my face like a bomb going off. Shards and fiber splinters, like the road runner cartoon with the cayote holding a blown up stick of dynamite in one hand... had to pull the fish in by hand-over-handing the line. Boy I was glad I was wearing a casting glove that day.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby taildragger » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:05 pm

angib wrote:...please show us some...!

Not an art... but something like this?
taildragger
Teardrop Inspector

Postby loaderman » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:58 pm

angib wrote:Here at last are the plans for the Pico-Light ultralight that I’ve been promising for the last nine months.

Pico-Light plans

The Pico-Light design aims to be the smallest, lightest trailer that can sleep two people. It is even smaller than a ‘normal’ 8ftx4ft teardrop and doesn’t have a galley or any cupboards. However its size and weight make it suitable for the smallest tow vehicles, including large motorcycles. A detailed weight estimate predicts an empty weight of 280 pounds.

The body is all single-skin and uses 1/8â€

I remember seeing a bolt together trailer version using angle iron I believe, not building a pico light but a small cargo trailer for behind s small car and this trailer base would be great I think.
Anyone able to post a link to the bolt together version? I can not open the link above.
Thanks
loaderman
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs