When the time comes, just bury me in it...

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

When the time comes, just bury me in it...

Postby Buckster » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:41 am

Hi everyone. I have been watching this site for quite awhile and have been checking out all the different designs and opinions. I intend to build a camping trailer to tow behind my motorcycle, a BMW R1200RT. I would like a review of a trailer that I have been designing before I starting construction. I have towed 2 different trailers (a mid sized motorcycle tent trailer [somewhat heavy] and a small cargo trailer) for a number of years behind 3 different motorcycles. But I am tired of camping on the ground and dealing with tents. So a hard sided camper is in my future. Light weight (250# or less) is number one priority. Reduced aerodynamic drag is a secondary priority. It has to big enough for me to comfortably sleep and store a small fold up chair. A table would be nice. Of course it has to be waterproof and some insulation value would be a plus.

The motorcycle is 37â€
Time vs Money
Perfection vs Progress
Buckster
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mwallace61 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:56 pm

Bob. I like the look of the trailer. Can't offer any experience in your other specs. I can mention that I ran into several folks out on the west coast during our country tour last year in our 5th wheel that were pulling small fold outs with their bikes, mostly Goldwings, and almost all of them said they would prefer solid sided trailers.

For a chassis that small, I'd consider aluminum to shave a little more weight as well. It's not that hard to find decent TIG welders at a reasonable cost to weld you up one....

Good luck with your build. Post a build journal here so we can follow along...
mwallace61
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:28 pm

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=34755

I like the looks of your TDish. I don't have the experience to talk about your trailer design but Andrew's looks similar and may get you good information.....
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby BobU » Tue May 11, 2010 1:57 pm

You may have already seen this unit I built from avaliable "stuff". Works out pretty well, I pull it with a Honda 1800 Wing, just the size of a twin mattress. Have a few pics. on my pic page, weights about 280lbs, before I put my kayak on top. Your idea of cutting down wind resistance from the side is a good one. Good luck on your build,

I"ll be interested in seeing it. The "door" is the whole back end, hinged at the top with gas struts.
If not now, when?
BobU
Donating Member

Return to Member Designs