8x4 quick to build grasshopper kinda thang

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

8x4 quick to build grasshopper kinda thang

Postby swizz » Sun May 22, 2005 4:24 pm

Heres a sketch of an alternative to the weekender theme - it could be built as a lightweight also.
It should be simple to build either way with flat panels all round.
With emphasis on simplicity - rear hatch reveals kitchen top with open storage beneath (containing gas bottle). Splashback behind cooking area with cupboard adjacent. In Galley cupboard is behind splashback.
Roof vent & front window unit could be salvaged from scrap caravan. Doors either side.
Flat profile would simplify attaching an awning.
I've never built a teardrop but would consider summat like this a first project - the camping is more important to me than the overall appearance as it would be towed behind a jeep. :thinking:

swizz
Teardrop Builder

Postby ARIZONA GUIDE » Mon May 23, 2005 12:11 am

I like it. I want one to pull into the Arizona outback too.
ARIZONA GUIDE
Teardrop Advisor

Postby denverd0n » Mon May 23, 2005 11:13 am

Looks very similar to what I have in mind... http://don.million.home.att.net/teardrop/tearhome.htm
denverd0n
Teardrop Advisor

8 x 4 quick to build grasshopper kinda thang

Postby Randy's Tagalongs » Mon May 23, 2005 11:56 pm

Neat design!! :D I like the front window. I'm currently building a tear for a guy with an old Shelby Mustang, and a window would be nice so he could keep an eye on his car at shows or while camping. trying to find curved windows is kinda difficult, however. Say, how are you gonna vent the area where the gas bottle goes? :? I've thought about putting one in back but not yet found a vent that fits in with the design that would safely disperse propane. Just curious... I like the design, though. I think you should build it!! :thumbsup: -- Randy
'Next to camping, I'd rather be camping.'
Randy's Tagalongs
Teardrop Inspector

Postby swizz » Tue May 24, 2005 6:30 am

Cheers Randy.

Re: vent.

The only requirement over here is that the gas compartment is sealed off from the interior of the caravan, and that both the top & bottom of the compartment is vented to the exterior.
Some British 'vans with the gas compartment located along the side of the 'van have both the vents fitted in the compartment door.
On this design though I think that the top vent would be best mounted on the side of the vehicle - a 2 or 3" hole suitably trimmed & grilled would do the job & look okay. For the bottom vent i'd simply drill a couple of 1" holes in the floor of the compartment & waterproof the whole compartment with resin.
The only requirement of venting a gas compartment is that their is sufficient airflow to allow gas to escape.

Swizz...
swizz
Teardrop Builder

Re: 8x4 quick to build grasshopper kinda thang

Postby dollmaker » Tue May 24, 2005 11:29 am

I am also interested in Swizz's plan. I drive a Suzuki Sidekick 4x4 and this style would match. Lightweight is a very good thing for me. Any ideas out there on building it as lightweight as possible? I want to use the harbor freight trailer since I have NO welding skills. :D :D :D :D
dollmaker
Teardrop Inspector

Postby swizz » Tue May 24, 2005 4:49 pm

Cheers Dollmaker. :thumbsup:

Although not available here in ye olde Englande, Harbour Freights seem to be very popular in the US. The first teardrop site I stumbled across was Kuffel Creek, one of their plan built trailers use the Harbour Freight trailer.

As for how to go lightweight I guess we'll have to ask the more experienced builders! Two trains of thought tend to centre around the sides, either being 3/4" ply or frame skinned with thinner plys with insulation between.

I'd go with the former for simplicity although the latter would be potentially lighter, more rigid, and better insulated. Another thread on the forum has suggested that insulation is pointless in warmer weather as it doesn't let heat escape - although I would disagree with this, ventilation would let the heat out.

As the roof would need spars anyhow i'd say nothing thicker than 1/4" ply would be needed here - possibly even thinner.

Most floors i've seen on the net seem to be 3/4" although 1/2" would be possible with enough support beneath - steel would be heavy so maybe wood spars to make up for bare areas that the trailer doesn't support might help? :thinking:

Who knows - never built one :)
swizz
Teardrop Builder

Postby type82e » Wed May 25, 2005 6:56 am

I'm building a tear very similar at the moment http://www.bobsteardrop.com/Other_Designs/Kampstear.pdf
this is the pic I used to base it on
I'm built my own frame it and the axle weighs 110 kg's (245 lb's?)
I'm using 3/4" ply for the floor and sides because it was cheap I think if I'd do it again I'd use 1/2 "
take heaps of photos and keep us up to date
marcel
type82e
Teardrop Advisor

Postby swizz » Thu May 26, 2005 8:02 am

:) G'Day

Yeah that looks like the same idea. More offroadish than teardrop shaped.
I think the tears look great but when alls said & done have to look right with the towcar - thats why they suit the hotrod fraternity so well.
Hows yours coming together?

Swizz...
swizz
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Thu May 26, 2005 8:09 am

You guys are doing a heck of a great job developing a new line of offroad tiny travel trailers. I see that several of you are thinking alike... therefore there must be some merit in the design.

I sure would like to see a finished model, in a photo, to see if it looks as good in real life as it does on paper.

So who is going to be the first to complete one? ;)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby swizz » Thu May 26, 2005 8:15 am

:? Well if its gonna be me i'd better get started lol :?

Swizz...
swizz
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Thu May 26, 2005 8:20 am

swizz wrote::? Well if its gonna be me i'd better get started lol :?

Swizz...

BTW Swizz, how close do you live to Angib?

Mike...

P.S. Angib lives in Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby swizz » Thu May 26, 2005 8:28 am

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x ... &ay=394500

If you click on this link you'll see the map of northern England.

Anjib is somewhere up on the northeast coast.

We are near the bottom between Stockport & Oldham.

Swizz...
swizz
Teardrop Builder

Postby swizz » Thu May 26, 2005 8:34 am

I've just had a look at his site actually - he's been busy - loads of ideas on it!

Has Andy built one yet?

Swizz...
swizz
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Thu May 26, 2005 8:41 am

No, Andrew claims his backyard isn't big enough. Maybe he just needs to see one in person. Why don't you build yours, and take it over to show him? Maybe we could get him interested in a feet forward motorcycle styled teardrop, which surely would fit into his backyard!!!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Next

Return to Member Designs