First concept - big window

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

First concept - big window

Postby ArtTrippers! » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:43 pm

I downloaded Sketchup today and started fooling around on a concept. Here's what I came up with:

I'd been looking at some designs for transportable and prefab homes and I liked the way some of them opened up on the sides to allow for large windows.

Image Image

The last one in particular looked like the store-front windows of the little private art galleries you see in the city. This got me thinking about adding 'moving gallery' to our list of criteria for the build, making our trailer a little mobile live-in studio and gallery space.

I was wondering if anybody had tried something like this before, or if it is just completely infeasible. The sketchup doesn't take many of the logistics into account (like where the wheels are going to go to allow the side to open up. I have a feeling that putting them under the galley would be too far back). Would the weight of the glass be a big factor? Would we need a steel frame for such a large pane? Any feedback would be great, we're really just spitballing at this point.
ArtTrippers!
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ageless » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:01 am

Interesting idea. If you opted for lexan/polycarbonate; you'd have less weight than glass and aluminum framing would suffice. As far as axle location; make the wheels inboard of the body and turn the wheel wells into seating features.
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby ArtTrippers! » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:38 am

Thanks for such a fast reply! I'm liking the idea of a bulletproof camper, and the lexan would add some insulation. I'm not sure if we'll have much room for any seating in the bedroom, I'm pretty tall so 7 feet is close to the minimum. We were thinking about stacking our foam mattresses into a couch and maybe having a drop-down table. I do like the fact that building over the wheels gives more interior space, and especially galley space as we're kind of cramped trying to fit in studio shelves and a mini-kitchen.

Great suggestions! I'll get back to drawing. :)

- Sam
ArtTrippers!
Teardrop Inspector

Postby H-Balm » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:18 pm

Cool unique thinking.
H-Balm
Teardrop Master

Return to Member Designs