folding camper concept?

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

folding camper concept?

Postby starleen2 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:06 pm

Just taking some time to think about a possible design. This will be a folded camper that will articulate backwards on the pivots and the raise the back wall at the same time. The sides and front will fold out and lock into place. Over all the dimensions will be 6’4’ wide and 10 (11?) feet long

Folded down

I’m basing it loosely on the fold- n -roll

Thanks to bobbyguitar53 for the pictures
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=245
Any suggestions?
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:37 pm

:o Mr. Stewart, weren't you the fellow that said your ladybug was more set-up than you wanted; that you just wanted to pull into your camp spot and be done? I believe it was you who stated that a while back or is my memory playing tricks on me? :thinking:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby steve smoot » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:13 pm

Sharon, you as bad as my wife...she brings up stuff she claims I said 30 years ago... :thinking: You can't hold it against a man for chanin' his mind...now can you 8)
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing...
steve smoot
Lifetime member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:55 pm

Hmm....If a woman is allowed to change her mind, a man should be allowed the same. It's only fair. I just wondered what was behind this particular folding roof thought process idea that he came up with. After all, the Ladybug WW looks to be a lot easier to set up than the one displayed above. He seems to be staying mum... Maybe it's "Building Fever". :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby High Desert » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:35 pm

I think Sharon's right. It's been a year now and Scott is having withdrawals :lol:

Or maybe he just wants a permanent awning now, which his new idea provides :thinking:

Scott, I wonder how well the weight on the design can be kept in check? The swing arms and support points might need a certain amount of heft to them to withstand regular use. Just thinkin' out loud donchaknow. It's an interesting design all the same.
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:46 am

Hmmm. Sharon, I got 8 other designs on the board right now and really can't decide on one! Others have posted kookie design before- so add this one to the mix. It may (or may not) be built. What you are referring to Sharon is my statement in regard to the lack of a lifting mechanism on the ladybug- but I am posting this while camping in the Ladybug. Stay tuned
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby cuyeda » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:46 am

Nice sketchup design work! Your idea reminds me of the fold up trailer in the vintage plans section.

http://www.mikenchell.com/VintagePlans/foldingtrailer.pdf

Have you looked at Angib's Compact trailer plans? It's different from what you posted, but may spark some ideas. On the Compact plan, the sides don't fold down, but the top pops up for the additional standing room.

Angib's Comact plan here
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby steve smoot » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:59 am

It was Andrew's design that got me to thinking... :thinking: I want a light weight camper to tow behind a Subaru Forester, and I wanted to be able to stand up in it, but it had to fit in a standard 7' high garage door opening. So...this was my latest design. It is 8' long x 6'-4" wide. It's going on an HF 1720# trailer that I bought while onsale...BUT, I really like Mr Stewart's idea too.

I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing...
steve smoot
Lifetime member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:41 am

Hi Starleen how about a 12' version of the Trailmini. Your bed would be over the tongue and you'd have a back porch to sit on.
http://www.roamingtimes.com/rvreports/2 ... ailer.aspx

I played with it for a while and the main problem was the lift system.

GAry
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:13 am

How much does the Ladybug's lifting roof and "wings" weigh?

This information from my build (with approximately a 3' lift) might help you with your decision:

4x7' lifting roof......= 37 lbs (based on actual frame, slightly over-built, plus ply/foam calculations)
Folding sides, each = 12 lbs (actual, without paint)
Folding front..........= 14 lbs (excluding the front window. The window weighs 6 lbs.)

The above are sandwiched walls, 1/8" ply/Styrofoam & 1x2 minimal framing/1/8" ply. Because the sides are separate from the top, that's probably less than your Ladybug's lifting roof.

Steve: There are advantages and disadvantages to the Compact style of hinged lifting roof. The advantage is that, because one end is hinged, it is a little easier to lift as part of the weight is carried by the hinge. The hinge also helps keep it "grounded", in case a wind grabs it while you are lifting it. (As added security, you could attach chains or other hardware.)

The disadvantage is that the area that is high enough to stand in is limited. It is kind of like living in an attic room with sloped ceilings. Personally, I think that, if it is designed right, this "feature" adds a certain amount of charm to it.

...Hope this helps.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby myoung » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:02 am

I guess that there are at least three folks here building or designing hinged pop-ups currently. Sharon is the farthest along, Steve is still designing, and I've pretty much finished my design and am cutting chassis pieces and gathering parts right now.

Here are profiles of "Where or When" for your consideration:
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby cuyeda » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:04 am

Here are photos of a Rolite trailer I came across in an alley. The walls fold down within itself, and the top gets cranked down. Sort of a hard top pop up. Wanted to throw it into the mix of this thread for the think tank.

ImageImage

ImageImage
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby cuyeda » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:13 am

Not a folding element, but a similar shape to the current builds. The original concept that prompted AngiB's contribution to workable designs.

An old photo, and much further along (slow progress). Frame, windows, doors all mounted. Partial framing of the cabinetry done.
Before
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Member Designs