help please

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

help please

Postby rsriverrat » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:31 pm

i have torn down a pop up camper and am torn between just rebuilding it or building a small standy, rebuilding the original trailer isnt a big deal and all the canvas is in great shape, however i love the profile of the widget!!

I have drawn a modified widget numerous times but i cant get a profile i like because i have to change it so much because of the 28" buldge in the back and the 15" buldge in the front so i wonder if someone might help a fellow with a profile?

Here is what i have to work with, i have since cleaned it up and painted it

the box is 12' long, from the front of the box to the propane tank is 9" and from the rear of the box to the bumper is 15" so the 28" rear buldge and 15" front buldge of the widget wont work for me in this case. i would prefer a 75" height from the floor to the roof also. from the rear of the box to the center of the wheels is 58.5". the unloaded curb weight of the original trailer was 1550lbs and the gawr and gvwr is 2500.

if anyone could me out id appreciate it.

thanks, dale
rsriverrat
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:03 pm

Here is one I was playing with. Just a whimsical little thing ..............

can be cut out with a router mounted on a tramel point
set up. ( giant compass)
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby rsriverrat » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:23 pm

ya know i tried coming up with something closely related to the tada, but i was never really successful, however using some of your numbers i came up with this, which closely resembles the tada but with different style door and windows.. and the wife likes it to boot..

i'm still open to other suggestions tho.

thanks
dale
rsriverrat
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rsriverrat » Sat May 01, 2010 4:55 pm

Ok so i kept playing and made some minor mods to the arcs on the front and back, they are now just full radius from bottom to top, so i kinda did a full scale model with some scrap paneling from the roof of the rotted out pop up...

the wife absolutely loves it, she says its kinda cute and would be perfect, but i am not sure the current trailer and axle could handle such a large standy..

Ratt
rsriverrat
Teardrop Inspector

Postby starleen2 » Sat May 01, 2010 8:41 pm

Unless you're planning to have cabinets or bunk beds over the bed / seating section in the rear, you could save some weight by sloping the roofline to the rear and making a Canned ham type profile. :thinking:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Rigsby » Sun May 02, 2010 4:47 pm

Just my opinion,but why bother with the bumper? If you want to retain it and go for a widget design, just extend it a few inches, so that it is an inch or so longer than the profile. Is the propane tank mount not movable? or could you not just make the profile a bit shorter

By the way i like the mock up profile
steve
DOOIN IT THE YAARKSHA WAY--FA NOWT, THA NUS !!
Rigsby
500 Club

Return to Member Designs