Working on a weekender design

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Working on a weekender design

Postby vtx1029 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:13 am

I modified it some from the sketchup page.

Still 10' long but will be taller. Still just playing around. I may end up doing a round front and maybe the top rear to give it more of a tear profile and have the bottom back of the trailer squared off...

Back dinette coverts into a queen size bed. Front flip down sofa for the little one. It will limit what we can put as far as cabinets inside on the floor. I may end up making the trailer 11' long to get a real compact galley opposite of the door.

I'm going to take out the drop floor. Don't really need it. Inside will be just shy of 6' Not real worried about it being so high because I pull it behind a 3/4 ton pickup anyway.

vtx1029
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:44 pm

The angular profile looks very nice.

If you're shying away from curves due to construction, as long as your don't have too tight of a radius they aren't that hard to do.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:57 pm

Looks good! Why not stretch that drop floor to the door, like some of the canned hams do?
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Have you looked at...

Postby myoung » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:48 pm

...Andrew's Compact III? It may have the floor plan options you are looking for. It would be a simple mater to increase the ceiling height and eliminate the complexity of the popup roof. Worth a look.
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby vtx1029 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:05 am

New design! 12 foot long 6.5 feet wide and 6 foot ceiling height.

I think this would fit our needs great! the light gray box would be a toilet/shower, black box would be a fridge, but I think I would maybe ditch that in favor of a custom built Ice box so we could have more counter space. Little white box would be a slide out AC window unit, Upper bunk would fold in half up to the ceiling when not in use.

Thinking too I may do a second drop down door in the back so I could load a scooter inside to use at the campground. Its hard for me to be without 2 wheels of some sort :lol:

vtx1029
Teardrop Master

Postby myoung » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:54 am

Just a few thoughts. By adding the shower and what I presume is a bunk bed, you have reduced the available wall space for windows and ventilation considerably.

There is now a more pronounced front bevel that eats up shoulder space while seated and forces the bunk to extend a bit more into space above the dinette. I presume that most of the frontal area of the trailer will be in the slipstream of the tow vehicle, so a smaller, less pronounced bevel at the top like your original sketch might be worth reconsidering.

It's a personal preference, of course, but in small spaces I like to minimize the number of upper cabinets and full height partitions in order to open up the space and sight lines. Depending upon the intended use of your trailer, the amount of time you will be on the road, and the amount of stuff you must carry, I would think hard about minimizing the number of storage spaces, again with the idea of eliminating overheads. From experience in both our large Airstream and the much smaller VW Westfalia Camper, I have found that there is more than enough space for everything we need to carry for at least a week in the VW and a month or two or three in the Airstream.

In thinking thru my own design ideas, I like to create scenarios and to see how they would be implemented with the equipment and facilities. It helps in making sure that things are not forgotten and are placed in the best locations.

I look forward to seeing the next iteration. Fun stuff. :thumbsup:
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby vtx1029 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:47 am

Little more info for you. The bunk is a must have for us, being normally we will have 3 of us using the camper. I did make it a little longer just for privacy its a double size bed but I could cut it back to 24" and be plenty wide for my son. Even sitting under it gives you 36" from the seat to under the bed (plenty of head room for all of us to sit) The front wall only jets in 10" from the front plane of the trailer to the start of the bunk and being the seats are 5' wide I think it should be plenty of room for 4 people to sit.

Should do fine on windows also one under and above the bunk on both sides and one behind the sink, maybe one on the back wall and in the side door. Tell ya the truth No windows really doesn't bother me much. We camp in our 18' cargo trailer with no windows at all :lol:

I can see what you say about uppers. May not need them but I do see using up some lower space with water tanks, electrical, and possible furnace and water heater.

Who knows I'm sure it will change more before its ever started :( Have a kitchen to redo before I can even think about building a trailer...
vtx1029
Teardrop Master

Water tanks

Postby myoung » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:52 am

At least, all the water tanks can go beneath the floor. There are some nice low profile tanks available.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby YuGun » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:20 am

Ä°t looks like very good,
Ä° like it,
YuGun
The 300 Club

Return to Member Designs