need some input on this. . . .

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

need some input on this. . . .

Postby starleen2 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:58 am

Here’s something I have on the drawing board - There are times that I go to a retreat or a mission trip and it’s just me. The ladybug is fine, but it’s sometimes more than I need. I have a 4x5 TSC trailer that I have used for a parts trailer and will serve as the base for the camper. Also the camper will be removable so I can use the trailer when needed. The dimensions are 6 ft wide and 8 feet long and 4 feet high – So what do you folks think?

starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby NathanL » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:03 pm

I thought about doing one like that but never could get it to work out like I wanted.

I saw a thread here yesterday that they did one on a utility trailer like that. Built an inner wall and the bottom plate of the wall was on top of the angle sides, and then they continued the outer wall down outside to the bottom. If I find that thread I'll post a link.

It would only work if you wanted the camper exactly as wide as the trailer you already have.

Just a thought.

Edit - Here's the thread.

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=37652

If you did it like that and made it just as wide as the trailer and put a different front end on it - more flat and maybe a hinged/removable piece at the bottom where the rail is you could hinge it up and slide the whole trailer off the backa nd it would look exactly like any other trailer.
NathanL
The 300 Club

Postby planovet » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:34 pm

Looks good Scott. :thumbsup:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby Ageless » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:48 pm

Just for the sake of appearance; extend the skirt to cover the siderails of the trailer.
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby B52 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:40 pm

:thinking: :thinking: You may want to do something about that hole in the roof, too! :lol:
Jim

Stumble through life; fat, dumb and happy!!
B52
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:23 pm

That looks like it would be good for quick get-aways; so, don't count on you being the only one to use that tear. There is a bench next to the bed on each side (probably where the wheels are). If you make the bed so that you can add a platform and mattress over that area, you could have the occasional company. Better yet, maybe you could make a platform that pulled out and a futon-type couch mattress could be used on that would pulled down/out for extra company or a roomier sleep. After all, a full bed is only about 1 & 1/2 times the width of a twin bed.

Hmm... :thinking: My thoughts are a little jumbled so I hope that made sense....just came in from a long day in the warm garage.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:30 am

:thumbsup: Works for a Vardo type might work here. You have a great sense of what works so go for it. You could always put some :thinking: don't know the word for the corner brackets you use for supporting a floor that sticks out. Cantilevered?????? Is that right. :oops:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby vtx1029 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:33 am

not sure how tall you are but that bed could be pretty short. Other than that i like it.
vtx1029
Teardrop Master

Postby PaulC » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:42 am

Food for thought Scott. 6' wide with an allowance of 2" either end, for head and foot room, means that I won't fit :( I'm figuring that you must be a bit shorter than that to have the bed orientated that way. Also, stepping up into it would necessitate a step of some sort, I would imagine. Apart from that, I like it ;)

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby BigAl » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:15 am

Ageless wrote:Just for the sake of appearance; extend the skirt to cover the siderails of the trailer.

I agree with Ageless.
Kind Regards, BigAl.

Build Journal on T&TTT
BigAl
Teardrop Master

Postby L Bob Rife » Wed May 11, 2011 4:37 pm

I realize this thread is a bit old, but I have a trailer like yours, starleen and I'm looking for a design that will fit. I saw your tiny trailer on your website. Do you have any other designs around this trailer?
L Bob Rife
Teardrop Inspector

Postby starleen2 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:23 pm

One thing about that type of trailer is that the axle is in the center of the trailer making it necessary to build over the tongue a bit or else you'll end up with too little tongue weight and trailer sway :(
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Return to Member Designs