Compact III -- New Modification w/ front galley

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby myoung » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:20 am

vtx1029 wrote:yea but you could raise it with a cheap electric winch. Remote control no problem 8) http://www.outletpc.com/c7265.html

Cheap is not for me. However, I will consider the remote control that you suggest. I've just got to make sure that the Sunbrella ties that hold up the fabric ties will break away easily.
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby rebapuck » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:26 pm

I like it.

My only suggestion , to anyone, is to have as much space as possible between the sink and stove. I personally think continuous counterspace is too often overlooked.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:26 am

Mike:

:thinking: If you haven't done so already, think about an escape route. This is especially necessary because your counter/stove area, door, and the widest opening of your roof are all in the same place. If something is going to catch fire (Heaven forbid!), chances are it will be in that front area, near the propane tank and you won't want to go past (or over) that area to get away. Most trailers with only one door have a window that can be bumped out. I can't tell if your windows are big enough to crawl out of or...?

Also, you've probably already thought of this one but, in case you haven't, you'll want a removable panel in front of that resting assist bar so you can get at it should it malfunction as it looks like you plan to place it inside a wall area.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby rebapuck » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:15 pm

VW made their poptops very easy to lift. They also changed them from rear hinge to front hinge for a reason. If your catch is loose (or forgotten) a rear hinge top is going to catch wind and blow off.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby myoung » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:42 pm

rebapuck wrote:VW made their poptops very easy to lift. They also changed them from rear hinge to front hinge for a reason. If your catch is loose (or forgotten) a rear hinge top is going to catch wind and blow off.

Hmm. Our 1990 VW Westfalia hinged in the rear as do all the pop-tops built since then. The latch is substantial and quite secure.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby myoung » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:45 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Mike:

:thinking: If you haven't done so already, think about an escape route. This is especially necessary because your counter/stove area, door, and the widest opening of your roof are all in the same place. If something is going to catch fire (Heaven forbid!), chances are it will be in that front area, near the propane tank and you won't want to go past (or over) that area to get away. Most trailers with only one door have a window that can be bumped out. I can't tell if your windows are big enough to crawl out of or...?

Also, you've probably already thought of this one but, in case you haven't, you'll want a removable panel in front of that resting assist bar so you can get at it should it malfunction as it looks like you plan to place it inside a wall area.

Thanks for the suggestion, Sharon. I will make sure that the rear window is the escape hatch type. We have one on the Airstream with the bedroom in the front and the kitchen in the rear near the door.

On the second suggestion, I don't know what you mean by "resting assist bar." Could you please clarify or let me know what you have in mind?

Thanks.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:03 pm

Sorry, Mike. I think you called it a pop-up actuator:

It's hard to be certain from the above picture; but I'm looking at the area where you have the thick yellow line and assuming that this is where the actuator will rest (or reside) when it is in its down position. If your actuator is built into a wall, you would need a removable panel to be able to get at it for repairs, especially if it got stuck in the 'up' position.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby myoung » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:17 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Sorry, Mike. I think you called it a pop-up actuator.

If your actuator is built into a wall, you would need a removable panel to be able to get at it for repairs, especially if it got stuck in the 'up' position.

There is a simple pin connection to brackets at each end of the actuator. The lower bracket will be mounted on the inside of the front wall above the counter and will be easily accessible whether the top is up or down.

The bracket on the pop-up roof will be mounted on the outside front of the roof. I'll use fabric for the three sides of the pop-up with simple snap attachments on the top and bottom, so it should be easy to get at the upper pin too.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Previous

Return to Member Designs