Could this be it???

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Could this be it???

Postby starleen2 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:52 pm

I’m always thinking ‘bout what’s next – what will be #5. The ladybug is nice and has served well, but there are a few issues that cannot be resolved within the design limitations.
1. My daughter is no longer 12yrs old – she is now 14 and full fledged teenager – the ladybug had only one queen sized bed which all three of us slept. That was fine until she hit her growth spurt! We thought about shortening the bed and letting her sleep on the floor – No such thing, the floor is not insulated, plus we would have to be constantly maneuvering around her if we need to get out for a nighttime potty visit.

2. With the weight of the hatch being in consideration, I had to make the inside height a little lower that a full standy for me. I compromised and made it 5’3 inside – a standy for the Mrs and a stoopy for me. That I can live with – we just sleep inside of it anyways

3. Opening and securing the hatch – the ladybugs design makes it perfect to store inside a garage and lowers the drag on the tow vehicle, but is a pain to set up each time I want to move it. I didn’t have the foresight to incorporate a lifting mechanism when I started building and it’s beginning to take it’s toll. I’m just getting tired of the set up time required. I just want to back in and set out some chairs under an awning and be done.

I think I have struck a compromise and settled on what will be #5

This design has two sleeping areas – one up front for the daughter and one in the rear, for us. The one in the rear will fold out to a double bed size, but could also fold up into a seating area as well. The addition of overhead storage is also a plus since we don’t have to worry about an articulating hinge.
Dimensions are 126 inches long X 76 wide X 63â€
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby myoung » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:05 pm

Looks like a nice project. I look forward to watch it progress.
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:46 pm

Ditto!~ It is a nice design!

Is there a reason you are not making it tall enough for you to stand... Moving around in something that long stooped over that far will be painful fast. I am only 63ish" and mine cause me pain if I bend for too long in 4'10"..
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby tonyj » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:44 pm

Looks slick.
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby madjack » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:26 am

...too cool...I love the graphics...double A++ for them....so the question becomes...when's the debut...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby starleen2 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:56 am

Miriam C. wrote:Ditto!~ It is a nice design!

Is there a reason you are not making it tall enough for you to stand... Moving around in something that long stooped over that far will be painful fast. I am only 63ish" and mine cause me pain if I bend for too long in 4'10"..

No problem for me - Just as long as I can stand up far enough to pull my legs into a pair of pants - that's good enough (for some reason - people around me prefer that I wear clothing - go figure?) I also have a height restriction of my garage - i thought about dropping the floor, but it would only give me a few extra inches,. the 63" is only four inches less than the maximum head room of the ladybug
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby myoung » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:06 am

starleen2 wrote: I also have a height restriction of my garage - i thought about dropping the floor, but it would only give me a few extra inches,. the 63" is only four inches less than the maximum head room of the ladybug

A pop top of some kind is a possibility as you know. If you are concerned about the weight or the difficulty of lifting it, there are 12vdc linear actuators that could do the lifting. I'll be doing that with my hinged pop up but not because of the weight, but just for the coolness factor. That little bit of added height will make a big difference to my aging frame. It's good to be able to stretch out a bit. Also, the pop up provides a nice way to add ventilation. Worth a second look, I'd say.
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby starleen2 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:01 pm

myoung wrote:
starleen2 wrote: I also have a height restriction of my garage - i thought about dropping the floor, but it would only give me a few extra inches,. the 63" is only four inches less than the maximum head room of the ladybug

A pop top of some kind is a possibility as you know. If you are concerned about the weight or the difficulty of lifting it, there are 12vdc linear actuators that could do the lifting. I'll be doing that with my hinged pop up but not because of the weight, but just for the coolness factor. That little bit of added height will make a big difference to my aging frame. It's good to be able to stretch out a bit. Also, the pop up provides a nice way to add ventilation. Worth a second look, I'd say.

I did consider a pop top - but then I'm right back to the set up issues - been there done that. Some find it necessary to stand up in the camper - I do not find the need. When I sleep - I'm not standing, when I sit up in bed, I'm not standing - I do not cook inside and I'm usually outside when i go potty ( the girls prefer that I'm outside or somewhere else!) - so i have no real need for a standy. The idea of a simple small camper to sleep in is just fine with me - I kinda like the concept of a teardrop - just back in - pull the hatch up for the kitchen - and you're done. Someday I'll build a teardrop for two - but right now we still have one young en' left
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby starleen2 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:09 pm

madjack wrote:...too cool...I love the graphics...double A++ for them....so the question becomes...when's the debut...
madjack 8)

gonna try to have it ready by Beaver's Bend in March - gathering parts right now - the construction begins after LCG (november) - Just putting the design out there in case I might have missed something
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

new design

Postby danlott » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:28 pm

I like your design. You might consider a storage area over the front bed. Also you could design a rear pullout galley. The galley would fit under the rear bed/couch area. Just a thought. :thinking:

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby Prem » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:47 am

starleen2 wrote:Just putting the design out there in case I might have missed something

Looks like you will need a longer tongue to avoid crushing the rear corners on the tow vehicle when turning tight and backing it into spots.

It's a *really* nice design. :thumbsup:

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby jimqpublic » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:39 am

An idea for a bit more head room- Consider raising the roof 4" at the front, then sloping it back 1" per foot to the rear edge. To garage, drop the tongue wheel until the roofline is level. Of course that means hand pushing into the garage.

Also consider a little "swoosh" at the rear edge like the late 60's to early 70's Cardinals had.

Check out this image from Tin Can Tourists:
http://www.tincantourists.com/wiki/lib/exe/detail.php?id=cardinal&media=cardinalmid60s.jpg

Another site with a 14', 1971 Cardinal with dropped floor:
http://www.physics.sfsu.edu/~sburt/Site/My_Albums/My_Albums.html
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Postby starleen2 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:26 pm

madjack wrote:...too cool...I love the graphics...double A++ for them....so the question becomes...when's the debut...
madjack 8)

Well - MJ - it looks like I'm gonna be movin' over to da' build threads with this one. The Ladybug will have anew owner shortly and i ain't sleepin' in a tent!
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby atahoekid » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:01 am

Not that I'm trying to throw a wrench in the works but... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: , your 14 yo is about to the age where they don't wish to be seen with their parents any longer. I've got three kids and they all pretty much stopped camping after they hit 15, even though we still invite them. Now it's just the wife and I :dancing along with our friends and frankly, that's kinda nice. I just wouldn't want to see you do all the work on this design only to have it outgrow it's useful life shortly after the build is finished. Just some food for thought :thinking: :thinking:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:24 am

atahoekid wrote:Not that I'm trying to throw a wrench in the works but... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: , your 14 yo is about to the age where they don't wish to be seen with their parents any longer. I've got three kids and they all pretty much stopped camping after they hit 15, even though we still invite them. Now it's just the wife and I :dancing along with our friends and frankly, that's kinda nice. I just wouldn't want to see you do all the work on this design only to have it outgrow it's useful life shortly after the build is finished. Just some food for thought :thinking: :thinking:

I'm looking forward to the day when she decides to be independent - however the design of the front bed is easily converted to a seating /storage area whether she is there or not.
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Next

Return to Member Designs